PDA

View Full Version : Alvey/Coho/Chicago

Scottie
11-04-2002, 02:52 AM
Hi guys. Well, it's spring in Chicago and that means it's time to catch Coho Salmon. Some of you may recall that last year I purchased a couple of Alvey/Snyder combos from the nice folks here at Ausfish.com with the intent of using them for fall Chinook and spring Coho. I received the gear too late in the fall for Chinook, but I've been hammering the Coho for the last couple of weeks. These Alvey/Snyder combos are perfect, as I'm able to cast my lures a country mile and cover lots of water. There's nothing like the feel of a Coho hitting a spoon on the fall after a 100+ yard cast. Man, that's something I've never had to deal with before; hauling in a fish from over a 100 yards. What a blast. I'm sorry I didn't discover these reels years ago. I'm gonna hit it early tomorrow morning because these fish are really starting to get active.

Cheers from Chicago, Scottie

imported_admin
11-04-2002, 04:56 AM
Scottie

Glad to hear you are enjoying using the Aussie rods and reels. Would love to see some photos of your catch, if you can post them up it would be great.

Luke
11-04-2002, 05:13 AM
Hey Scottie,
what sort of reactions do you get from other anglers when they see you casting a country mile and what do they think of the gear?
Cheers Luke

Scottie
11-04-2002, 05:55 AM
Steve, I'll see if I can borrow my mother's digital camera and make an attempt at posting some pics. However, my computer skills are minimal, so only time will tell.

# # #Cheers, Scottie

Scottie
11-04-2002, 06:06 AM
Luke, the reactions from most of the anglers is about the same. That is to say, they're amazed at how far I can cast and in a most curious tone of voice they all say, "What the heck kind of reel is that thing"? It's pretty funny, really. They're all amazed, yet don't seem to show enough interest in how/where to obtain one. Interestingly, I recently discovered an old custom rod and reel shop on the northwest side of Chicago called Corens. They told me they offered Alvey reels for sale several years ago because they thought, like I did, that an Alvey would be perfect for Salmon fishing in lake Michigan. Unfortunately, they never caught on so they stopped carrying them. I recently had them install an open runner on my 10"6" Snyder and am pleased with it.

Cheers, Scottie