PDA

View Full Version : not to mention coral trout

mick
13-04-2002, 09:04 AM
the D.P.I states that "The quantity of coral trout caught by recreational fishers is about the same as the quantity caught commercially."

bullshit
bullshit
bullshit

my brother in law worked on a commercial boat with 4 other guys. he caught on average 210 fish over a ten day period.
210 fish x 5 = 1050 coral trout
the company has 3 boats
3 x 1050 = 3150 coral trout in ten days

and thats only one company. i think the dpi need to seriosly re-evaluate there figure finding process. >:( >:( >:(

Vern_Veitch
13-04-2002, 04:20 PM
Mick,
I think you have the DPI statement wrong. THe latest catch and trends report which should be on the Fishweb site says that the commercial catch in 2000 was 1538 tonne and the estimated recreational catch was between 280 and 340 tonne. We take less than 20% of the Coral Trout.
Vern

mick
14-04-2002, 09:30 AM
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/2456.html

that was a quote from the dpi website. look under catching coral trout

Vern_Veitch
14-04-2002, 01:20 PM
It sure does say that Mick but it looks like DPI got that one wrong. I have sent them a message.
Vern

dazza
15-04-2002, 07:47 AM
Jeez, fair go Vern.
The DPI getting it's data wrong ::) ::) ::)
I find that hard to believe.
When you look at some of the recent decisions ie: the tailor debarcle. What hope have some fish spieces got in QLD. I feel a bit sorry for the powers that be. In the near future these people are going to be responsible for the wiping out of several species- not something I would be too proud of telling my grandchildren.
Is it possibe to get some sort of electronic petition going for the members of this site?.
We as rec fishers must get behing guy's like Vern and let these clowns know that we are not happy with fisheries management. Keep up the good work mate!
Cheers
Dazza