PDA

View Full Version : Frogs as bait?!?

Fisherman02
13-04-2002, 03:52 PM
hi fellow fisho's
today at school I had a free period so I went to the library and being the keen fisherman i am i went straight to the fishing section. So I picked up a book and started to read it. About half way through the bait section I found an usual bait, frogs. Does anyone use frogs for bait?!? Or had any experiences?
cheers jack
p.s one other thing was the amount of fishing books in school librarys it's disgraceful! :-X :D. In my school alone (brisane state high school) there are only 4 books for fishing.
p.p.s im not saying british schools are any better ::)

Vern_Veitch
13-04-2002, 04:08 PM
Using frogs as bait was outlawed a few years ago. Not a bad idea as many of them are under a bit of environmental pressure. We need to ensure as fishers we don't endanger something as a result of what we do.
Vern

Roman
13-04-2002, 04:30 PM
People use the plastic frogs from what i hear and they are suppose to work quiet well.

Their was a boat show up here(Darwin) and they had a tank filled with barra and from what i heard when the dude put on a plastic frog the barra seemed keen.

Never tried them myself and im certainly not an expert at this. :)
Wouldnt have the heart to shove a real frog on a hook, i feel sorry for the mullet as well. :'( :)

jaybee
13-04-2002, 06:45 PM
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif hey jack I can remember a story a couple o guys told me a few years back. They were using frogs for bait..on floats..from a boat..they had a few drinks fell asleep and when they woke up...the frogs were sitting on top of their floats lol..apparantly they arent silly... but i guess you get that drinking while in a boat is tho eh ...

Fitzy
13-04-2002, 07:13 PM
I've never used frogs but I once got some older fellas yarning about the old days out west on cod.
Apparently they never put the hook thru the frogs, rather they attached them to the hook with a rubber band.
Dunno of they were pullin me leg, but....... :-/

I'm glad its illegal to use them now. Our frogs aren't faring that well these days.

Fitzy..

JIP
13-04-2002, 10:20 PM
Hmm... If real frogs work... Maybe someone there
should give plastic top water frogs a try.

We used them here for bass fishing all the time
during Spring and Summer when the top water
action is really good. It's really cool seeing
the fake frog get engulfed.

Here's one I used lately when the weather got
warmer here.

http://www.tackletour.com/reviewpmfrog.html

There are tons of other types too. Look on
basspro or cabelas.
Maybe if they have not seen it there, it could
be a good lure to use.

Have fun!

Jack Ip
TackleTour.com

SHANE
14-04-2002, 04:54 AM
HI Fisherman02
As the other guys have mentioned frogs i outlawed
but on this they WERE!!!!! a great bait to use on the trout when i was younger fishing in Tasmania
the hook was placed through the top muscle of its back leg
and fished from a float
they do have the problem of swimming back into the bank every now and then or sitting on any thing they could get too
thinking back now it was pretty cruel to the frog
hope i dont get this way about live bait (fish,yabbies)
these days there are plenty of other options open to fishermen than the poor little frog
plastics are a great option ,small poppers , or the other type of popper with a small prop either on the front or the rear of the lure
the big atraction for the fish was the movement of the frog on the surface of the water
one other option i had for trout was the grass hopper
harder to catch than the trout
i cant see why the bass and any other surface feeding fish wouldn,t take them as well
a small hook pinned heigh up through the wing and a small float was all it took
but again fly fishing would cover this

hope this helps you out
shane

Luke
14-04-2002, 04:58 AM
Hey Shane,
I caught my very first bass on a grasshopper ;D Good way to get rid of grasshoppers too.
Cheers Luke

Fisherman02
14-04-2002, 07:49 AM
wow, thanks for the replys guys
fantastic response, I might just stick with the ordinary bait and not go with the frogs, until they become a pest anyways.
Hey Jaybee serves them right eh?!? LOL
cheers everyone
jack

Vern_Veitch
14-04-2002, 01:24 PM
Try moths Jack. You can catch them under street lights and they flap aroud on the surface and create a good fuss. Barra don't seem to mind them but I'm too far north for some ofthe other species.
Vern

curleyweirdo
14-04-2002, 06:55 PM
We used the at my friends farm which is near dalton..on teh way to canberra..well off a bit

Good bait along with small yabbies [all we could catch]
This was all we had.as worms are hard to get at their far, beause the soil i shit and it is dry and stuff
At dams hundreds of frogs under bits of logs or rocks..

Easy bait ..produced some whoppa carp!

Ratsack
16-04-2002, 03:53 PM
Out around Longreach after there had been good general rain and there was a fresh in the Thompson river you could be guaranteed of seeing lots of people out at night with torches "frogging" there were thousands of the little buggers, bit hard to catch though, they were considered prime bait for Yellow belly. But as everybody notes it is now illegal. 8)