PDA

View Full Version : SEQ Pilchard Fishery Application

Smithy
17-04-2002, 11:23 AM
There is an e-mail getting around in Queensland at the moment about an application for a commercial Pilchard harvesting operation. This is the cover note by Evan Jones a member of the Sunshine Coast Gamefishing Club who made a detailed submission to QFS a few months ago. I can e-mail you the attachments he mentioned if you like. I have e-mailed Henry Palaszczuk plus the two local members from our area so why don't you do the same. If you fished off SEQ when the experimental fishery was up and running you would know how devasting purse seining can be.

Below is a link to all of our members of Parliment. Evan has also included some phone numbers to ring.

http://www.qgd.qld.gov.au/nma/nma003.html

Dear Friends,
Talking to the Q.F.S. manager for the Pilchard Fishery (Mr Jim Gilespie Ph 07 32251839 ) it would appear a decision on the pilchard fishery is to be made within the next week. I would encourage you to contact your local M.P.s office , the QFS or the Ministers Office (07 3239 3007) requesting that the permit to take pilchards be rejected. I'll enclose an attachment of our submissions if you haven't received them already.
Regards Evan Jones

Luke
17-04-2002, 11:47 AM
I've just done my bit.

jaybee
17-04-2002, 12:43 PM
:-/ well the pilchards go hand in hand with the tailor and mackeral debacle...no pillies no natural food plus the netting of the above species...mmmm I read somewhere that a third of the oceans fish will disappear..i think it was in the bible..hey smith can you send me a copy please so I can do my bit
cheers

The_Walrus
17-04-2002, 02:10 PM
That'll be right, can't get the tailor, the mackerel are stuffed, the tunas not far behind so let's move down the foodchain. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

Smithy, can you send me the paperwork also

Luc

jaybee
17-04-2002, 05:05 PM
:-[ I was just talking on the phone to my bro who is up mooloolabah fishing again.. #:-[ he was saying last year there were boats actively involve in netting pilchards and they are still there all set up and raring to go..apparantly they are waiting on a date to be given because its #been approved already..any truth in this #??? the quality of the pillies hasnt been the best the past 12 months..would that be from the same sort of operations cleaning them out in Western Australia..

Lucky_Phill
17-04-2002, 05:28 PM
Well I've done my bit as well. It wasn't too hard. ::)

I highlighted the web address in the post and pressed "print " so as to save the address. Bugga me, the thing printed out every member of state parliament. Email adds, postal adds, telephone numbers, fax numbers etc. 14 pages......but, in the end that is good. I setup some " contact Groups " in my email address book. Now I can email Opposition members only, Sitting members only, local members only and / or Just the Premier himself, or the minister for whatever.

Try it people, it'll take about an hour, but it's worth it. ;D

Jedster
17-04-2002, 06:32 PM
Good on you Smithy, you've inspired me into action. I just sent off an e-mail to both the Minister for Primary Industries and my local member. The buck has got to stop, NSW are getting there act together when are we. It's time for some action what else can be done? What about adding a site on here that deals entirely with the political side of things. I guess mine and alot of others biggest problem is not knowing exactly what's going on around the traps. I also don't have a lot of time to check a hundred web sites.
He who shouts loudest gets heard. Time to fire up the vocal cords.
J

Smithy
17-04-2002, 06:53 PM
I will e-mail Steve or Fitzy the full e-mail from work tommorrow. The original submissions had to be in many months ago but this week is our last chance for something to be done. As far as I aware there is no address or standardised form like for the Tailor RIS and if there was it was probably months ago. This is a bit of reargaurd action. I am guilty of being apathethic myself the first time round as I knew they were asking for submissions but after reading Evan's detailed submission I didn't think there was any point. That was before I heard about the numbers game they played on another submission where the Sunfish submission representing 880,000 recreational anglers was given the weight of any other submission. People woke up to this for the Tailor RIS and now it is time to give it another go for the Pilchard Submission. I would post the submissions by the Queensland Gamefish Association and the Sunshine Coast Gamefishing Club but they are pretty big. Hopefully Steve can work something out.

jaybee
17-04-2002, 07:15 PM
??? Scuse me people, but why all of a sudden is everyone panicking, is it because we are getting to the bottom of the food chain here. I think I recall myself and a few others asking for people to send e-mails to governement over the tailor ris and mackeral and no one or not many were interested, but hey we can't go much further down the chain then pillie now can we..or maybe we can..seems we have closed the gate after the horse has bolted..mmmm shame, shame, I apologise for nit picking (oh stuff it no I don't we are all big people here) However, this is really getting out of hand. I beleive there is around 900 members on this board and I bet all these members have friends who fish that are not on this board and the domino affect begins. I personally beleive its time to send an e-mail to all and arrange a live chat and nut some things out and do it properly. UNITED WE STAND. If something is not put together soon, then I guess we will be still here in a few years still Whinging how the government has yet again conned us eh! (and probably catching less fish) and it doesnt matter what political party it is they can only see the dollar signs. PLUS the government needs to be educated that they cannont put back into the water like the farmer can the land, except for fresh water species. Oh by the way there is still the tinnie and outdoor show fast approaching to get some petitions going. Hey I am willing and ready to get my hands dirty here just say the word. :P

jaybee
17-04-2002, 09:28 PM
Okie here is my contribution for whats its worth. Some may agree some may not..but at least I have done my best. However it could probably be better if a lot of people got together on it.

Mr Beattie,
As a Labor Party Supporter all my life I am writing this e-mail, as I am thoroughly disgusted with the way your government is treating the people of this state, regardless of the way they voted. I have contacted my local member Mrs Desley Carleton Scott MP (ALP) in relation to what I would like to discuss and her office has to date not had the decency to acknowledge receipt of my e-mail that was sent on the 11/04/2002. I would like to bring to your attention to the future of amateur fisherpersons and the future fish stocks of this state.

Mr. Beattie you espouse this state as being the SMART STATE. Then I ask, how smart is it for QFS to use false figures, particularly on the tailor RIS, as to limit the amateur fisherperson and not the professional? ( I say not the professional although they have had some small cutbacks due to what I have to say next) How smart is it, to put a limit on recreational fisherpersons to catch tailor and then sell licenses to NSW professional fisherpersons (as they are not permitted to net tailor) to net them in Queensland? Moreover, this has only led to increased pressure on the tailor due to increased netting .How smart is it to allow ring netting in places like Hervey Bay of mackerel, that make their migratory run south, therefore denying both amateurs and professionals south of Hervey bay.

My final question Mr. Beattie, How smart is it to allow a Commercial Pilchard harvesting operation in Queensland? These fish are a natural food source to both Mackerel and Tailor and many other species. Has this new industry been allowed to proceed because we are now at the bottom of the food chain? Due, to over netting of the above species? I believe, as a result, the quality of the pilchards that has dropped off quite considerably over the last few years are going to get worse. Would this happen to have something to do with the same sort of harvesting that is happening in Western Australia?

I would also like to bring to your attention as to what an amateur fisherperson is. An amateur fisherperson may go fishing as little as once a year when they go on Christmas vacation or as much as 7 days a week, if they are lucky to be living right on the water. An amateur fisherperson is also from countries all over the world when they are here on vacation or backpacking. To be brief, an amateur means dollars to this state and votes. So if this state is to be a SMART STATE, then don't you think that this government should start doing something about being the SMART STATE, and started looking at providing a future for amateur fisherpersons, and the revenue and employment it generates.

Vern_Veitch
18-04-2002, 03:31 AM
Apathy and infighting will continue to be the 2 biggest threats to recreational fishers. Ring your local MP and ask for an appointment to put forward your concerns. Get all your friends to do the same. IF you sit back and do nothing then nothing will change. Remember that politicians follow the will of the people, they do not lead it.
Vern

jaybee
18-04-2002, 05:54 AM
Just reading where The average size of pilchards caught varies among locations but, in general, fish are between 14 cm and 16 cm long and 2-5 years old. Gee looking at the quality of bait lately they are a lot younger these days..also they spawn during daylight hours.
http://www.fishbase.org/Country/CountrySummary.cfm?ID=1670&Ctry=Australia&genusname=Sardinops&speciesname=sagax&vc_code=036

saundy
18-04-2002, 07:36 AM
Just an idea from an old fogie. When I write to an MP { someone said they have my photo on the dart board} I always send one to their shadow. In the sitting members letter are words like "if you are realy interested in remaining in power" and in the opposition letter "if you are at all interested in regaining this State". All my letters re fisheries go to Local Member, DPI, Tourism, EPA and DNR. and their opposite numbers.

mick
18-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Dear Sir / Madame

I am writing you because you need to know what is happening. Up until know the recreational angling society has remained fragmented. Recent decisions made concerning the tailor fishing industry have sent and uproar through the recreational angling community. There are appox 4.5 million recreational anglers in Australia. We are all appalled at the damage created by over fishing and poor policing. We are now standing as a united front and are prepared to vote against anyone who doesn't take action against the annihilation of our oceans inhabitants. We are anxiously awaiting the result of the south east Queensland pilchard fishery application. I believe that if the application is accepted, it will be the straw that breaks the camels back. >:( >:(

I sent this to everyone on that list. # minus the smilies
an idle threat iknow but prehaps it will put the wind up a couple of them

imported_admin
18-04-2002, 07:58 AM
Following are links to the documents sent to me by Smithy.

They are in PDF format

http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Submission_to_QFS.pdf
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/QGFA_Pilch.pdf
http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/Response_Submission_Information_Paper-Application_for_a_Developmental_Fishing_Permit.pdf

mick
18-04-2002, 10:36 AM
well i tried but the email got returned. will keep trying

Harrya
19-04-2002, 12:41 PM
Well you ask me to so I forward the story the My local Member for Kallangur Hon Ken Hayward Office and I recived A Email in return
To say thanks for bringing it to his attention .
So now we shall see what happens
But I am not holding my Breath lol
Harrya

Lucky_Phill
19-04-2002, 04:19 PM
Well Steve, it looks like the " average " fisho is starting to take a " real " interest in the future of their industry.

I believe the" Net " is responsible for this, what with the instant access to information.

It has been said that we have about 900 members here, congrates Steve, well done. With these issues affecting all of us, it is time to " get together " on these matters.

Perhaps we can throw our thoughts together, get a submission posted, that we can download and email, post etc to the people who we feel can do the most good with the info, ie the pollies, ( sitting and opposition ). Also targeting the QFS.

Does anyone know if the QFS are going to be represented at the " Tinnie Show "? That's a good start to make ourselves heard.

Maybe even post a petition to download ( wording is very important here ), as I'm sure we can round up a few thousand signatures in a short space of time.

Going back to the " pollies " address's now. Wearing out the typing fingers. ::)