PDA

View Full Version : Question

jaybee
16-04-2002, 05:43 PM
Do container and cruise ships still anchor out in the bay these days or is there always a berth for them..i just read a fact "The anchor from one cruise ship can destroy a sea bed area the size of half a football field" not too good for the seagrass or coral in the bay...

Sniper
17-04-2002, 04:32 PM
Jaybee, I see a few most nights off the Sunsine coast but not sure if they are anchored or not. I'd say that some would be cause they are in the same spot the next morning on my way to work. As to the bay, not sure but the port authorities may be able to tell you.
Bill

jaybee
17-04-2002, 05:02 PM
Thanks bill was just curious..as I have heard that overseas in some countries they have put big pylons in for them to tie up too...i thought the new port was supposed to stop the que out in the bay
cheers

adrian
22-04-2002, 04:24 AM
hi guys
they don't anchor in the bay at all but they do anchor off the sunshine coast while they wait for a dock or tides to be right .
good idea about pylons more structure for us to fish can't be a bad thing can it?
anzac

CHRIS_aka_GWH
22-04-2002, 09:36 AM
anzac,
a few years back I surfed Durban South Africa. The big ships anchor only a few kms off the coast waiting entry to the river mouth that services the port of Durban (it looks spectatcular). Trouble is they drop their balast before entry & on the incoming tide you'd be surfing with empty cans, wrappers etc printed in all languages & large clumps of ugly coloured slim like moss. Structure - yeah, pollution ughh. Hopefully the port of Brisbane have tighter controls.

Simon
22-04-2002, 10:04 PM
I'm fairly certain that ships are not allowed to exchange ballast in Australian ports/waters unless they have completely changed any/all water that was taken on board whilst in another port. I think that means that they have to change ballast whilst in the middle of nowhere. All the ballast changes and amounts are supposed to be logged etc. etc so it can be checked off. they are required inform AQIS of the time and place of their last ballast water change prior entering a first port in Australia.

Cheers

Simon.