PDA

View Full Version : High Speed Trolling Lures. Which ones???

Jason_L
24-04-2002, 01:58 PM
Which lures are successful for trolling behind a boat at reasonable speed for palagics.

so far i have a Hex Hed lure 90gram (???) and a Spoon at 85 grams.

what else is there. i was more or less after a minnow type lure..

any suggestions..... thanks in advance

Smithy
24-04-2002, 05:55 PM
With a bit of tuning and by keeping your terminal tackle to a minimum most minnows will handle a bit of pace. The Strike Zone bibless minnows Steve sells through this site work well for me. I like the 4" ones. The Producer minnows work well if you are after a cheap lure. They just need tuning and new terminal gear.

Master_Jig_Builder
24-04-2002, 07:06 PM
High speed trolling is a matter of definition. So here are a few thoughts from me on the issue.

In the US, average high speed trolling is done anywhere between 14 and 20 knots.

Down this way it's usually between 6-10 knots. Either way, anything over 6 knots usually needs a lure head that weights at least 240 gms although 360 gms is usually better if your out wide and chasing species like Spaniards or Wahoo at more than 8 knots.

Wahoo bombs (which can weigh up to 24 oz's) always do better with a hook mounted spinner blade on the rear as well.Be wary of the US bombs as the spinner blades are nickel, and not chrome, so they rust fast.

Centre line towed chrome or white high speed lure heads with skirts are usually the most effective. Avoid vinyl skirts if in toothy fish country. They won't last 10 seconds.

If you want lures to run deeper then go to a 480 gm head. If using them down in southern waters e.g. Vic, Tas or SA, for bluefin tuna and related species, then a full glow head on the front will generate better results.

Jason_L
25-04-2002, 06:01 PM
i'll give ya some more info that might be able to help you guys
:)

trolling between 8 - 14 knots.

max wather depth 20ft - 7m.

so i'm kinda thinking i want something to go down to about 3m.

n e 1 have anything in gold.?

Master_Jig_Builder
26-04-2002, 05:21 AM
At that speed, and if your running close to reef lines, then it has to be a big Rapala or the new Manns 30+. Line length (out the back) will enable you to set them to the right depth.

What species are you targeting?

Jason_L
26-04-2002, 07:41 AM
generally what ever is there. cod, trout to palagics, cobia, mackeral etc.

i might go and have a look in at k-mart for some lures. they have a huge range there.

Master_Jig_Builder
26-04-2002, 07:50 AM
Yep, like I said:

At that speed, and if your running close to reef lines, #then it has to be a big Rapala or the new Manns 30+. Line length (out the back) will enable you to set them to the right depth.

fisho
29-04-2002, 01:43 PM
We run all manner of skirted lures to 15 knots (in good conditions) for marlin, dolphin fish and tuna. ;)