PDA

View Full Version : Fishing in Cairns

Yetti
26-03-2002, 01:31 AM
Hi There

I am writing for some advice

I am planning to bring my son (and the family) to Cains for a 18th Birthday Holiday

I promised to take him anywhere in the World fishing for his 18th, and he has chosen Cains

What I would like to know is what time of the year is best to visit. He is particularly interested in catching Barra but would also like to try his hand at some Reef fishing (variety is the spice of life)

Any advice you can offer is VERY MUCH appreciated.

Would are currently thinking of RVing it as this might offer us the best chance at a variety of locations and site seeing

Best regards
Tony

Vern_Veitch
26-03-2002, 04:18 PM
In general. the best time for barra is in the month after 1 February (could be hot and wet) and the month before 1 November. Sounds like you are spending some money so hire a guide. Personally, I reckon you have more chance at Hinchinbrook and would recommend you contact Alan Goodwin at crackfish@ozemail.com.au. He lives at the southern end of HInchinbrook and only fishes that area.
Vern

Moffy
26-03-2002, 06:22 PM
Yetti,

As you are keen to catch a barra and also catch some reef fish i recommend heading to Cairns around late September to early November. At that time of year the barra are starting to bite more readily and the reefies are also generally on the bite as well.

Hiring a fishing guide would be your best bet for hooking a few barra as they can take you to the right spots at the right time/tide etc to put you onto the fish. Whether in the immediate Cairns area, in the Hinchinbrook area as Vern says, up the mighty Daintree River or even up at Lake Tinaroo. There are many options available.

I'm not sure what type of reef fishing you were looking for, but there would be a number of options at that time of year - The Giant Black Marlin can be caught outside the reefs out from Cairns at that time (there are lots of various charter boats you could hire to go out after these fish ) also there are numerous light tackle options - small marlin, mackeral, tuna etc or bottom fishing for red emporer and coral trout) - the fishing for these species is quite good at that time of year as well.

Have a look at the site below which should give you a lot more information to allow you to decide when you want to come and what you want to do.

http://www.fishingcairns.com.au/

Hope this helps.

Moffy

Yetti
03-04-2002, 12:49 AM
Thank you Moffy & Vern

Much appreciated. - Trying to give my son the fishing trip of a life time from the UK is going to be tough without some local knowledge. I will definately be using a guide -at least some of the time. And the only way I can ensure that they are availible is to organis it a head of time - so once again a BIG thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Tony

Moffy
03-04-2002, 04:29 PM
No Problems Tony.

I'm currently in the UK myself and will be here (in London) until September or so before i return to Cairns - i should get some hints from you regarding fishing over here.

Moffy

Fisherman02
03-04-2002, 06:50 PM
all this talk of home makes me feel homesick :'( :'(
cheers jack

Yetti
01-05-2002, 12:30 AM
Moffy

Big Thanks

If you are serious about hooking up (no pun intended) We could try and bag a couple Pike - Season starts in June

Drop me a PM on Yetti1001@hotmail.com

Yetti