PDA

View Full Version : Moreton Island

squire
30-04-2002, 06:08 AM
Fellow fisher people am going to Moreton Island and camping at cowan cowan. Was wondering if I should boat it over their or take the boat on the barge any suggestions? Is there a way up from straddie end or should I go from Manly as i live bayside? If I take the barge will I be able to tow it up the beach? Your assistance would be appreciated regartds squire? ;D

squire
01-05-2002, 09:25 AM
Curious has anyone out their ever been to Moreton Or is my question stupid or something

mick
01-05-2002, 09:42 AM
i think the worm virus has scared a few people away. ive never been there so i cant help you. as for the virus i just put a condom over my hard drive. it seems to have worked so far.

squire
01-05-2002, 09:51 AM
excellant mick well said

jaybee
01-05-2002, 10:16 AM
;D Been quite a few years since i was last over there..but I guess the fuel prices are still 60 c a litre more then the mainland. I think there was a write up in bush n beach if you go by boat over #there it will be out of site while anchored from where you are allowed to camp and very little launching faclities. Last time I was there the roads were mostly sand tracks so a 4wd was needed. We used to just leave from manly and pitch a tent at days gutter/ camerons corner..dont know if you are allowed to do that these days..there was a shop there as well that sold fuel. Best of ringing the shop at comby and have a chat..best of luck
cheers.

Fisherman02
01-05-2002, 03:25 PM
hey squire
I may be able to help ya out. Earlier this year I went on a venturer camp at moreton. Hmmmmmmm I would go by boat over there as like jaybee said there are, as far as I know no boat launching facilities. Me and a friends (from venturers) rented a boat there and we had to carry it down the beach so yeah it would be safe to just boat over there. Also not sure if the drop off point for the barge is always the same place but we were dropped off on the beach literally on the sand. So all the cars had to deflate their tyres a bit so I think you would have big problems towing a boat up there.
well thats all I know just about if you need any further info just reply and ill see what I can do ;D
cheers man and good luck
jack 8)

budge
01-05-2002, 06:09 PM
Hey squire

Going over by boat or taking your car and boat on the barge depends on where your wanting to fish. Not taking you car really limits where you can fish. If you go over by barge at least if the wind blows up you can drive to a more sheltered spot and fish from the beach. As for the problem of getting bogged, where you come off the barge at tangalooma is the only real trouble spot you will find as it is normally pretty chopped up, the rest of the roads should be fine after the nice bit of rain we have had. Maybe even think about catching the barge from scarborough as getting on and off the barge with a boat is a lot easier at bulwer. Have a good trip mate hope u get stuck into the fish, might be worth trying for some spanner crabs if your taking your boat.

Cheers budge

squire
02-05-2002, 05:40 AM
thanks guys will let you know how i go. we are camping near cowan cowan.