PDA

View Full Version : Killer Sharks ( dead or alive )

Fozz
02-05-2002, 11:10 AM
Should a killer shark be hunted down & killed ?
Would too many innocent sharks be destroyed by wannabe " shark killers " ?
Are people taking enough care when in the sea ?
Are shark numbers increasing too mutch ?
Are they just freak accidents ?
A sublect I'm sure everyone would have an opinion on !
Regards Fozz :-/

mick
02-05-2002, 11:35 AM
the fact is when you go in the water you take a risk.

when you drive your car that risk is increased by ten fold.

we dont have the right to kull the numbers of bad drivers (unfortunatley) so why should we have the right to kull the number of sharks?

Jack_Lives_Here
02-05-2002, 11:48 AM
We swin in their domain, where they are top of the food chain. It always amuses me how they are referred to as "maneaters" :o - I don't agree with killing a shark because it snacked on a person. They are an efficient killing machine - hey that's what they do. ;)

The oceanic shark species cop an absolute flogging from commercial fishers AND FOR WHAT a few fins for the chinese soup kitchen. >:( >:(

If you ever get the chance to dive the Southport Seaway, look up at the surfers paddling across to Sth Straddie. If they don't look like big lazy seals I'll stand stuffed. It's not IF but when one of them is taken by a prowling tiger or white shark - but that's a calculated risk they take.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
02-05-2002, 12:26 PM
there's a 6-7 foot bronzy around the pin bar that owes me a tailor with my raider lure connected from a fortnight ago. I swore I was going to hunt him down & kill him at the time. I'm now willing to negoiate if he'll leave the lure somewhere anonymously for me to pick up.
Seriously, if a shark makes a habit of taking human tid bits off swiming beaches there's probably a case for its destruction. The ones that take divers & surfers in remote locations are more than likely looking for a seal or turtle - leave those sharks alone, its a risk you take doing that activity in a remote location - nature needs a place to be nature.
p.s. I used to dive & surf - sharks are a thrilling part of the package.

Jack_Lives_Here
02-05-2002, 01:12 PM
Yeah Chris if it's dining in regular then do something about it. Gotta agree on the diving comment - love to see noah's when I'm under the briney.

Luke
02-05-2002, 01:46 PM
I don't think sharkies should be killed off. That would be like shooting the cleaner at work. I've heard of them being pulled up with number plates and all sorts of things in their bellies. Great intestinal fortitude. If it's not to be eaten I always let them go. :)
Cheers Luke

imported_admin
02-05-2002, 03:11 PM
Statistics show that doctors kill more people than sharks, crocs and snakes put together.

So why kill the sharks ;D ;D ;D

Jason_L
02-05-2002, 05:48 PM
i don't think they should be kulled. but i do think that they should be taken off the protected species list.

most fisherman are responsible enough to let them go.. and also you have to wonder how much divers in cages "piss them off"

it's like canned food out of the can and it's feeding time for big ol Whity.

Maxg
02-05-2002, 05:55 PM
Well whites are an interesting beast. They have an occlusive chloridal tapetum, which makes them unique, they also use blood pooling to increase their visual response, this lifts the eye temperature to well above the water temperature, and allows them to pick on highly mobile seals which are warm blooded and extremly mobile.
Divers in roiled, very murky water, are treading the danger line is southern waters because that tapetum decreases the eye resolution by a chunk, and in a wet suit the diver looks like a seal, prime white tucker. Although mostly they whack them on the surface. Hell the white isn't picking on humans.
There are so few whites left, and we really know so little about their habits, killing one because it had a go at getting a feed, quite natural thing to do, is a bit off. Doncha think.
Max... PS Very interesting devices is whites, we should know more about them.

webby
02-05-2002, 07:08 PM
Mankind has already extinguished about 1 third of the worlds
animals, so lets leave them alone. They were put there for
a purpose the same as us. Rogue JAWS yes if they ]
persist in haunting a beach. They would never have found
that Rock fisherman from Pt Kembla that fell into the drink
if it was for that Tiger that found him first, then got himself
caught at Manly with what was left of the poor fella inside.
He (the shark) was only doing what comes naturally to them
If any of you guys have ever been off Morten and trying to
pull in a beauty when out of the depth comes this sleek
looking shape and CRUNCH goes your catch, best site
in the world of fishing. Need some in our Freshwater
catchments to make life more interesting.
regards

angelena
03-05-2002, 05:23 AM
When I lived in Port Lincoln in S.A you were able to see the tuna cages from the shore. Now if that isn't teasing the sharks I don't know what is. About a year and a half ago when it was school holidays there was a few pretty big great whites heading for the main swimming beach where at the time would have had over one hundred or so people there. The cops came down with a speaker phone and got everyone out of the water. The very next day there was a front page article saying the sharks should be kulled and the poor thing hadn't even hurt anyone. To say I was annoyed at the article is a severe understatement. Why do we have to destroy everything? >:(

mick
03-05-2002, 05:36 AM
port lincoln.....what a place. so many small salmon it makes your head spin. i lost an expensive lure not far from the shore. so i put on the snorkel gear and went after it. that night #on the news a 4m great white was seen by plane at the exact same ramp i was diving of. at the exact same time (3pm) on the very same day. also the divers that repair the tuna cages swim with whites every day. the lack of shark attacks there leads me to believe that these creatures are not the aggressive stereo type they have been portrayed as. #the abundance of food in that area is enough for them. i also think that if the species they prey on, are consumed by the commercial market, then shark attacks will become more fequent.

Amberjack
03-05-2002, 06:37 AM
Gents

The day I walk down my back steps and find a shark in the yard I will be all for killing and culling. But, while I continue to find them in their own back yard, live and let live.

AJ

LYNDO
03-05-2002, 10:56 AM
;)A.J. Totally Agree!

I use to abalone dive/spear fish from Elliston to Streaky bay, on the West Coast of South Australia. But every knows the risks!
I've personally encounted some spine chilling meetings with them but fortunately for ME they weren't hungry for a big rubber man at the time.

:)Leave them alone be thankfull they let ya play in there yard.

;DP.S. But I still like young shark on the taste buds!

Cheers Lyndo

Vern_Veitch
04-05-2002, 04:17 AM
There is a lot of hype about shark and croc attacks but they pale into insignificance compared to bees, snakes, spiders and a myriad of other small creatures, not to mention humans in cars.
I agree with the above sentiments, it is only when we are very unlucky that a shark will attack a human and it is always in their domain. If we are really worried about humans dying unneccesarily, let's focus on the big killers. I don't see any calls to destroy all the cars we drive.
Vern