PDA

View Full Version : Black Bream Lure ( any suggestions )

Fozz
24-04-2002, 09:20 AM
I have tried several different lures in the past for Black Bream , but to date no luck. If anyone has any suggestions of proven lures ??? it would be greatly apreciated .
Regards ; #Fozz

Thanks ! to everyone for the suggetions , it's great to get some feed back from other " fisho's " Cheers !!! 8)

Fitzy
25-04-2002, 05:59 AM
Hi Fozz,
Not sure what species you are refering too. There's several I can think of that go by the name Black Bream. (Pikey Bream, Silver Perch, Sooty Grunter, coal grunter, southern Black Bream & Yellowfin Bream all wear that name at times)

Cheers,

Fitzy.

Fozz
28-04-2002, 07:17 AM
My appologies Fitzy , I'm from the South West of WA , & I refere to the estury Black Bream ( Acanthropagus butcheri )
So any suggestions would be most welcome .
Regards ,
# # # # # # # # #Fozz .
ps , Also any suggestions for Red Fin Perch lures ??
Cheers !!

lordy
28-04-2002, 02:29 PM
My appologies Fitzy , I'm from the South West of WA , & I refere to the estury Black Bream ( Acanthropagus butcheri )
So any suggestions would be most welcome .
Regards ,
# # # # # # # # #Fozz .
ps , Also any suggestions for Red Fin Perch lures ??
# # Cheers !!

Redfin are just voracious. They will eat anything. Try any smaller minnow types, red and pink are top colours. Legends, manns 5+s, little oargees, etc. Can't go too far wrong. But I've also caught them one green/fluro green. Well, just about any colour will work, but try reds and pinks first.
If they are schooled up in deep water try some ice jigs.

Bream I don't know.

mikey
28-04-2002, 04:33 PM
HI Fozz,
my father lives in Perth and about 3 weeks ago he came across to the east cost ( goldcoast) for a visit and he could not beleive that we catch bream consistantly on lures ( soft plastics ) anway he took a hand full and I do mean a hand full of 2inch single tails grubs back to try. And last weekend he called me to brag about the bream he was getting.
1kg+ bream the biggest he estimates at 1.5kg. He only got a few when he was on the gold coast but he got the knack pretty quick.
the jig head is 1/16th 8 pound fire line with 8 pound leader

he said he was getting heaps of the weedbed, where he fishes there is seagrass that is pretty thick along the edges. casting just short or along the edge in about 1~2 metres short hopping the plastics back.
He has requested more plasitic especially in the natural browns.
Good luck (I will be going there soon and can not wait to hook into some of the big ones)

Franko
30-04-2002, 07:34 AM
G'day Fozz,
# # # # # # # # # I am in Mackay on the CQ coast and have had a fair bit of success with Bream on lures.I use 2 kg pre test and a leader of between 6-8kg joined via a bimini twist and a millers shock knot.I generally wait untill just before low tide and walk to where a bit of water holds at that time.Then useing small profile lures(Bill Normans/C Lures mealy bugs/ Wee Warts ,etc) cast at any likely looking structure,and very SLOWLY retrieve, taking a fair pause between casting and actually starting the retrieve.Most success had has been with the tiny Bill Nomans in a fluro green and black striped pattern.The deep diving action does not seem to matter with the slow retrieve using the light gear mentioned.The Bream I refer to are Pikey Bream (Acanthopagrus berda) and although not your target species #(butcheri),it may help in some way to making the hard job at hand just that bit more bearable!!!(HAHAHA).Hope this message finds you well and that success is close at hand .

CHEERS MATE.

jezza
01-05-2002, 06:13 PM
Hey Fozz , I think if you pick up just about any of the present glossy mags,modern fishing,fishing world etc,there is an abundance of info in there.Must be the latest fad!Small lead headed rubber tails are all the go.Must be the best thing since sliced bread!Until next time...

Slates
04-05-2002, 09:38 AM
G'day Fozz.
Years ago a mate of mine spent months working out the black bream down here in the Anglesea river. He used a Rebel F50 in brown trout pattern with suspension dots on it so it 'held' in the water when he paused. This guy was a true fanatic and he used to get some ripper fish. Anyway, I rocked up with a celta and some beer one sunny day and caught one first cast. Fair dinkum he nearly wrapped the rod around my neck! ;D ;D

I know that was a total fluke. I actually tied it on to stir him up -catching the fish was a total bonus http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm27.gif

Anyway, since then I 've done ok using Rapala Cd3's in firetiger patern and a pretty quick 'trout' retrieve (jerking it all over the place).
So it pays to vary your approach!

Reddies also love the 'firetiger' pattern in rapala and mcgrath divers.

Good luck!! ;D

Cheers, Slates