PDA

View Full Version : Legal Sized Fish

jaybee
04-05-2002, 12:18 PM
Doing some research I have found something that may interest everyone. DPI Quote:

Analyses of growth and mortality parameters suggest that an increase in mimimum legal size, to about 36cm, (tailor) would result in better yield, with an increase in average fish size to 5 - 10%. However raising the minimum legal size would possible increase the number of fish dying after capture and release. Any significant release mortality may offset any yield increase from raising the legal size forgive me for acting dumb but wouldnt this affect all fish. ( I know we use ganged hooks for tailor ) but more often then not its only 1 hook inside the mouth. I havent heard any amatuers from NSW complaining about the size limit of all species down there that is on average an inch more then in QLD. Well I noticed they said may so they are not real sure. So if they can prove a fish will die after its released then are we are putting undersized fish of all species back for nothing :-[ . What does everyone else think. I beleive fish are resiliant and live on to fight another day as long as we handle them properly during the catch and release. I say this because working at the markets many years ago I have seen fish filleters end up with ganged hooks in their hands when filleting corkers (huge tailor) these rusty hooks were well and truely embedded inside the mouth and gullet and could not be seen from the outside of the fish, not to mention all the new rigs they used to aquire from these netted tailor that had bitten the amatuers off.
cheers.

Vern_Veitch
05-05-2002, 10:48 AM
Research from the USA indicates that tailor have very high survival rates. Survival of released fish varies between species and where they are caught. Size can also be a factor as big fish can be hard to handle and can become exhausted.
Any large fish picked up by the mouth or gills is a good chance of dying as they are getting their neck stretched.
Any fish brought up from deep water needs special handling if they are to have a chance of survival.
The quicker you get fish to the boat and then release them, the better their chances.
I have personally caught a fingermark that had almost passed a 1/0 hook through its anal vent.
There is a lot we can do to give fish a fighting chance of survival on release. Hopefully ANSA will have their code of practice for releaseing fish on their web page soon and that will help concerned anglers improve their skills for returning fish.
Vern

jaybee
05-05-2002, 11:17 AM
Excellent Vern, then why is it both Federal and state governments are so lax into researching this as in the states, after all it pertains to our fishing future both amatuer and professionals..kinda makes me think the quick grab of the dollar is more important to the government today, then to do a research that is going to benefit all in the long run but then its going to cost them dollars now and no thinking of the future but if you spend today you will save in the future, dont you think ..I totally beleive a license to fish as in NSW and money from said only used to go to good fish management starting with teaching people how to handle fish. But thats my personal thoughts and I will probably be chastised and be regarded as cynical for saying so
cheers
Joseph

CHRIS_aka_GWH
05-05-2002, 11:27 AM
Tailor are a tough fish. I've caught many with large scars from probable predator attack. The wierdest of which was one caught from the beach near the South passage bar that at first glance looked like it had two tails. Early in its life it must have been sliced/bitten just above the wrist of its tail to about a third of the way up its back underneath its dorsal fin. Both sides of the wound had healed over giving the double tail effect & this fish was still swimming with its school competing for food - competing too well in fact when it found my pillie. Was a bit arkward to skin but still tasted the same.

Vern_Veitch
05-05-2002, 11:48 AM
A project on this subject is presently being considered by FRDC, the Commonwealth funding organisation for fisheries research. It has been put together by Bill Sawynok and will look at a range of species in different states. There will be a special web site and email news list. When I have full details they will be posted on this board.
It is on the way and slowly but surely, recreational fishing is getting the recognition it deserves. We still have a long way to go so keep up the support.
Vern

jaybee
05-05-2002, 12:04 PM
good show vern I will do what I can as a fisher and possibly become a member of sunfish if they can handle a s*** stirrer
cheers ;D