PDA

View Full Version : Membership

bugman
09-05-2002, 09:40 AM
Just following on from the thread on the 1000th new member.

Could one of the moderators explain the catergorisation of the automated (I'm asuming) membership details given with the members login when a post is made.

Is it a quantative thing that allows me to go from new member to member to "super member" etc.

Just interested in the numbers required an if there's a bonus scheme in place.

Maybe a free kick in the pants for every 100 posts.

Regards Bugman

imported_admin
09-05-2002, 11:09 AM
Hi Bugman

The rankings are set as

New Member = 0 - 9 posts
Member = 10 - 99 posts
Full Member = 100 - 199 posts
Senior Member = 200 - 499 posts
Gold Member = 500 posts

The ranking system is in built into the chat program and I can set it to whatever. It is not intended for any real purpose on this site, just gives people an idea of how many posts someone has made and also used to identify spammers, abusers, etc. E.G. 2 posts in two months and both spam, abusive, etc.

Regardless of someone having 1 or 1000 posts they are still a valued member to the chat boards.

There is no incentive scheme in place for anyone reaching a certian number of posts. This was considered at the start of setting up the chat boards. It was not done as it may encourage ME TOO type posts just to get the number of posts up and reach a tartget. In my opinion it is not the number of posts but the content of them that makes a chat board.

Ron_Collins
09-05-2002, 01:34 PM
Hi Steve
Congratulations, and well summed up. I also like the concept of posts and comments mainly being made when a person has something worthwhile to add to the discussion.

I know there is a need for "social" interaction, too, but I'm happy to leave that to those who like to participate in that way.

I've particularly enjoyed the recent input on "what makes a good read" and "what makes a good read...continued", for obvious reasons. And as I recall things, there was a fair bit of interest (hundreds) on "lake" fishing in competitions.

From the little production team at BNB Fishing, keep up the good work and thanks for your support over the years. Ausfish has good vibes and BNB Fishing is happy to have a close yet informal association. - Ron Collins, Ed.

Randall
09-05-2002, 01:56 PM
Ron.....you just "socially interacted". ;-)

Maybe I`ll ring you on 4BC early one morning and ask a curly question!! (Socially of course) ;-)

BTW....you`ve turned me into some sort of angling guru by running with the cover shot. Just when I thought it was safe to go back out on the water!!! ;-)

Seriously, good work on a great mag. Its the only one I read now. My business partner and I are thinking about running some advertising shortly.

Regards, Randall.

Touchy - R.I.P.
09-05-2002, 04:11 PM
Hi Steve
Congratulations, and well summed up. I also like the concept of posts and comments mainly being made when a person has something worthwhile to add to the discussion.

I know there is a need for "social" interaction, too, but I'm happy to leave that to those who like to participate in that way.

I've particularly enjoyed the recent input on "what makes a good read" and "what makes a good read...continued", for obvious reasons. And as I recall things, there was a fair bit of interest (hundreds) on "lake" fishing in competitions.

From the little production team at BNB Fishing, keep up the good work and thanks for your support over the years. Ausfish has good vibes and BNB Fishing is happy to have a close yet informal association. - Ron Collins, Ed.
Ron,You got both Randall & Nugget in the same edition BOTH with clean shirts on,MAJOR ACHIEVEMENT,Top mag,keep up the good work!Cheers T.

Ron_Collins
10-05-2002, 04:55 AM
Hi Randall and Touchy
I'm not normally this "social" so early in the morning, but you've both made me laugh, which is a good way to start the day. Any day, or every day in my case.

Yes, I also was impressed with the immaculate presentation of our two "legends" in the last edition. Nugget usually looks like something stuck tight to a dog's ring, on his better days, so Harro, who I understand took the pic, did well to capture him dag-less for the Bionic Braid ad.

Thanks for the feedback on BNB. I've said it before, and can only repeat my views that our writing team is close to the best in the land. Everyone tries very hard to be original, they are willing to share important information and they treat our readers as equals. Those were some of the goals I set in the early days and I'm pleased to say that the edict has been totally accepted.

Having said that, I'm also aware that we need to be responsive to the needs of our readers and supporters and that's why I've appreciated the recent comments on content.

So, good friends, please feel free to let us know if we start heading off the track. We are a micro operation and rely on that sort of feedback. I also appreciate the opportunity to use the Ausfish chat board from time to time. I think Steve has done a great job with the site, and to be frank, in my biased opinion it's used in the main by what I term "genuine" people.

Struth, I've just delivered a sermon. Bugger! If this keeps up you'll be calling me extra social. Best wishes one and all. - Ron Collins, Ed.

bugman
10-05-2002, 06:31 AM
I guess I knew when I started this thread what the answer from the moderaters would be but I guess you could say I was just interested in the categories.

I would have to agree with Ron in his observations on how people uses this chat room. I guess it comes down to personality.

If you're the sort of person that only says something when you have something to say, then you won't post reactions to everything that comes along and are probably more likely to start threads than respond (unless with a real answer). However if your the sort of guy that likes just interacting then your more likely to post away to your heart's content.

Regardless, having just found this site myself, it seems proably the best around that caters to my needs and to many other like me in the surrounding area.

You can't ask for better than that.

PS Ron - I think I met you about five - six years ago at one of the boat shows at the Convention Centre (I guess you met thousands of people). You were showing me your pilot for a TV fishing program that you hade just created and we were chatting because I worked at the ABC and was attempting to set up one of my own.
Just interested to know how your's went because fine fell flat on its arse after my state manager (an avid fisherman) retired and was replaced with someone who was not interested those forms of lifestyle programs.

Regards Bugman