PDA

View Full Version : mis-allocated funds

mick
14-05-2002, 12:06 PM
it would be interesting to find out how much fuel is used in boats each year.

the tax taken from this should not be used for upkeep of roads or other car related purposes.

it should be allocated to upkeep of marine enviroment

food for thought

jaybee
14-05-2002, 01:18 PM
It has been bought to my attention that maybe the gst we pay on all fishing gear and bait plus trailer and boat registration should be put to same mick but then what about the non boat owner. I dont own a boat and I wouldn't mind paying for a license if the money was used properly on fish mangagment.
cheers.

Ron_Collins
14-05-2002, 01:59 PM
Hi Mick
It's a good point that you have raised, and it's one that I had taken up with the Queensland and Federal governments when I was closely involved with the management of the Boating Industry Association of Queensland a year or two ago.

My argument was the same as yours - boat owners contribute millions (I think I roughly worked it out to be at least $20 million a year in Queensland alone) and Queensland Transport's Maritime Division budget is less than $10 million to cover recreational and commercial boating.

The actual contribution could very well be much, much more than $20 million. What we do know is that there are now about 165,000 registered recreational boat owners in Queensland and about 60,000 or so unregistered boats.

So it's not all that hard to do some estimations based on a couple of trips a year which cost $x in fuel and provide $xx in excise or tax.

What you may or may not know is that each registered recreational boat owner in Queensland aready contributes $12 by way of "pleasure vessel levy" and most of this money goes to recreational fishing matters. None of it goes towards recreational boating.

I know fishing and boating are a hand in glove activity, and about 70 percent of recreational boat owners primarily use their boats for recreational fishing. But is this a fair arrangement, especially considering there are about one million recreational anglers in Queensland?

It's all very interesting. I contribute two $12 pleasure vessel levies and would like to see some of the money going back into boating, much the same way as the stocked impoundments get funding from the permit system we've now got in place.

All in all, I don't think people mind paying money as long as they know that most of it will be used for a specific purpose and be spent in an accountable way predetemined by representatives of those who contribute the funds. If it just ends up in the proverbial black hole, forget it.

I'll be interested to see further feedback and will pass any on to the BIAQ. - Ron Collins, Ed.

Vern_Veitch
14-05-2002, 04:28 PM
Ron, Mick and JayBee,
this is a lively topic. Fishing must be close to the dearest sport or recreation that you can do. 13 years ago I spent $36 000 on a boat and today I need to add $14 000 to that to have a clean green motor. I will probably get less than twopence for the old one.
I am like Ron and have 2 boats on which I pay boat and trailer registration, insurance, yearly maintenance for servicing, replace bearings on the trailer and spend money on various other things before I even think about wetting a line. I'm already well over $4000 a year. That is $400 in GST and I have not put fuel in my boat yet.
I am not rich and never will be unless I get lucky with lotto.
It seems to me that the Government at all levels is getting enough money out of me to address fishing and boating issues but they are spending it on other things.
It is not that I would personally mind paying a licence, But I would like to see "Government" put at least some of the money I spend back into improving fishery management that is of some benefit to me, replacing the abysmal boating facilities that were recognised as needing replacing 15 years ago, and start ensuring that their highly paid public servant do their job so I can then go fishing instead spending time doing their job for them.
I note the Premier said today he is concerned about a fickle voting public, I hope he is aware of the frustrations of recreational fishers.
Vern

Lucky_Phill
14-05-2002, 05:04 PM
Yes Vern , I read that bit about Premier Pete'. Fickle, we can be. ( I think Yoda said that ! ;D )

There's food for thought. Put up a poll here to see how much each angler spends a year on his/her hobby.

I think that even might scare the anglers themsleves when they start adding it up. Webby would be able to bail out an African countrys national debt on his fuel bill alone. ;D ;)

Take into account, regos, fuel, maint, tackle, bait, ins, mags, clothing, insect repellent, sun screen, food for trips, ice, accom, car maint %, ferry fees, tolls, nets, knives, tide guides, and the list goes on. Boy, this is going to add up. Now get your total and divide by 11, that's the GST we pay.

And if you have bought a new boat,,,, :o ::) Now dats a spicey meat-a-ball !! ;D ::) :-[

mick
15-05-2002, 10:11 AM
it seems there are thousands of tax generating products associated with fishing. #fuel would be a major contributer and is a clear cut example of mis allocated funds, which could be redirected into #reseach and license buy back scemes etc.

ron

what response did you get when you brought this issue to the table, peoples attitudes have changed alot in the last two years, it#would it be worth pushing it again. #that revenue would be enough to make a substantial difference to areas which need dire attention

thought provokes action

action provokes change

mick
15-05-2002, 10:11 AM
oops ;D ;D

jaybee
15-05-2002, 10:28 AM
Hey guys I will bring this up with my local on Thursday have recieved some constructive critism from people who have seen the proposal I am putting forward if you would like a copy to comment please contact me or if you like I could post it on the board. But remember it is grass roots and wont be able to please all the people all the time, but I guess the main aim is to let the government know we are not happy with mis appropriation of funds.
cheers. ;D

Vern_Veitch
15-05-2002, 04:17 PM
SUNFISH have now undertaken 4 regional expenditure surveys over the last 4 years or so. In the SE the "average" fisho is spending $1000 per annum and in the north about $1100. Wish I was down to the average.
In Townsville that worked out to $70 million each year to go fishing and an additional $168 in capital equipment.
these figures keep on repeating themselves as previous studies in WA and Victoria came up with similar averages.
Remember that rec fishers cannot avoid GST and do not get fuel rebates etc. Additionally about 70% of the commercial catch in Queensland is exported and therefore the flow on benefits are in other countries.
Makes for some interesting debates about resource allocation.
Vern