PDA

View Full Version : very important

mick
16-05-2002, 12:18 PM
go to your search/find option

search for files/folders named >:(jdbgmgr.exe >:( in your c drive.

the file has a teddy bear icon

if you find this file do not open it

right click and delete it

if you have it you must contact everyone in your address book and tell them to delete it. this virus sits dormant for 14 days before doing damage. norton, mcfee and pc cillin will not pick it up

no idea where it came from, and i dont have an address book but better safe than sorry

Vern_Veitch
16-05-2002, 01:24 PM
It is a Microsoft debugger registrar for JAVA. We need to be careful with things like this as sometimes it is a hoax.
Vern

imported_admin
16-05-2002, 01:42 PM
This is a Hoax E-mail going around.

Read the following page
http://vil.mcafee.com/dispVirus.asp?virus_k=99436

Jason_L
16-05-2002, 05:07 PM
yeah. don't delete it. it's needed for windows. it's just a lil program that windows uses. i'm not sure what it does. but there have been hoaxes about this before.

mick
17-05-2002, 05:08 AM
my appologies to steve and ausfish members. #i received the information via email from a friend in the states.

Jack_Lives_Here
17-05-2002, 05:34 AM
The email hoax that has been circulating since mid-April has been modified to include a more convincing story designed to fool computer users into removing a legitimate Windows file from their computers.
This weekend, many Australian computer users have received the hoax message and have followed its instructions. As a result, they have removed a Java debugger manager in Microsoft Java runtime engine.

ABOUT THE HOAX MESSAGE
The bogus warning takes several forms, but in general it tells people that a standard Windows utility is a virus that must be found and deleted from their C drives. Some variants claim the "virus" hibernates for 14 days before awakening and causing damage to their computers.
If you receive a warning telling you to remove the jdbgmgr.exe file from your computer, DO NOT REMOVE IT.

If you have already removed your JDBGMGR.EXE file (it's the one with the little teddy bear icon in Windows) some Java applets might not work properly, in which case you should reinstall the file.

IMPORTANT NOTE
If you receive the JDBGMGR.EXE as an ATTACHMENT to an email it could be an .exe file infected by a virus. However, if you find JDBGMGR.EXE in your system directory, it should be the clean file that is meant to be there.

GENERAL ADVICE ABOUT HOAX MESSAGES
BE SUSPICIOUS if you receive ANY EMAIL MESSAGE (even from a close and trusted friend) that asks you to delete files off your computer. Check with the person who sent it to you. If they received the e-mail and are just passing it on, that's your first clue that it could be another hoax.

Rev
17-05-2002, 11:52 AM
Ahh!!

The good old virus from the non intellectual.

They can't figure out how to write a real virus programme so they just tell you to delete files that are needed.

Maybe they are not that dumb after all.

Rev.