PDA

View Full Version : Hot News

Harro
15-05-2002, 01:57 AM
Dean Butler caught two tarpon in the 160 pound class on a
#12wt Strudwick DBT and 10kg tippit. Dean was fishing at
Homosassa, Florida with Tom Evans, whom he guided to recent blue and striped marlin world fly records while Tom was recently in Australia. Dean's latest captures more than consolidate his position as Australia's foremost saltwater fly rodder.
My old mate Brian Bochow, BJ for short, from Bute South Australia won the champion visitor angler at the Barra Classic just held. He narrowly missed winning the overall champions trophy...Not bad for a bloke fishing barra for the first time. The plenty of "practice" he's had on greenfish and snapper probably had a bit to do with it. Congratulations, BJ!.
More power to the Barra Classic marshalls - those blokes administer without fear or favour. Their measuring tape caught out an extremely high profile competitor and former classic winner. His leader was several cms over the stipulated IGFA length...probably slackness more than anything...anyway his points were scrubbed despite the
hullabaloo.
Talking about greenfish. I'm Just back from the New England hills, fishing there with Dave Hodge. We caught a spell of calm weather that had the greenfish feeding before the onset of winter. We took a pair that were close to 40 pounds, mine on a trolled stumpjumper. I took another slightly smaller fish after an explosive strike on a nightwalker and some nervous moments around snags. I'd like to, but can't repeat the comments from onlookers when we released fish after quick pic sessions.

Steve_Ooi
15-05-2002, 03:41 PM
It must be a truly amazing sight to see one of those silver king come flying out of the water, especially that class of fish in the 160 lb range. I just hope I live to see it one day. Anyway congratulations to Dean on the captures.

Winning the champion visitor trophy and nearly getting overall champion angler has got to bring a smile to your face, and especially if it the first time barra fishing, well done Brian.

And you getting a 40 lb green fish, now your just making me very jealous… ;)
The dpi electro fished a 40 kg barra out of Tinaroo the other day, there’s got to be a couple more like that up there waiting for my RMG to go pass, here for hoping anyway. ;D

Poony

Wesley_Pang
15-05-2002, 04:22 PM
Harro,

Great to hear Dean's doing great at the "Lords" of saltwater flyfishing. Homosassa, Florida is the place to get big fish, so I've read.

I'll have to get over there one day, and give it a go. Too bad the pacific peso(aussie $) is not up to it.

I read about your trip to Central America. If I win Gold Lotto this weekend I'll be on the phone to you.

Sierra Leone is having its election soon, and may be safe to visit without a flack jacket soon. 300lb tarpon:)

So many places to fish, so little money and time.

Wes

Brett_Finger
19-05-2002, 04:01 AM
Geez Harro,
mate you have tweaked my brain with the vairous topics in this post!!

i have to tell you Dean Butler has taken saltwater flyfishing into the fore with his fly-fishing captures and involvement in nurmious world records on the fly!!! ;D

luckey he had you for a teacher mate......
Hookin,Brett