PDA

View Full Version : What's a Grinner?

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-05-2002, 01:14 PM
I give up. Apart from a guy in a maroon jersey at the Caxton pub tonite around 10pm, what's a grinner. I don't have a Grant's & can't find a visual reference on the web. Does anyone have a picture they can post or its scientific name. I do understand it is an extremely annoying creature though that you do not want to shake hands with - sort of like a guy in a blue jersey at the Caxton after 10pm tonite.
chris

Kerry
23-05-2002, 01:55 PM
Big mouth, soft mouth, lots of teeth, slender tapering body, slippery, sandy/brown colour, lives on sand and knocks off trolled mackeral baits like the proverbial.

Cheers, Kerry.

spinna
23-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Grinners

That would be a blues supporter at 10 pm tonight. :P

Luke
23-05-2002, 02:24 PM
Long and slender like Mark Geyer with teeth like Andrew Johns in other words ugly lookin things that look like they've fallen out of a UFO he he. They'll snap at ya heels like Langer though so lookout. :D

webby
23-05-2002, 02:35 PM
;D ;D Thats how they smile at you when u catch one.
the ones we get around the bay are Painted grinner
(trachinocephalus myops) they are releated to the
Sergeant Baker Family, Biggest ive caught around Mud
was about 12" , the bite through anything and eat anything
friskey little fighters. more teeth then a Shark and Barracouta
put together. can give u a photo if u want one. you'll know
when you've caught one by the big toothy smile. Dont do
a Rexy on them ;D hope this helps,
"the Maroons have a pack of them tonite, and thats what
they do to the Blues"
regards

Lucky_Phill
23-05-2002, 03:05 PM
Grinner !
as described in Phill's Book of Oddities,

" think of a Fox chewing gut in long grass ".

OR

" Alfie & Wayne @ 10pm tonite "

OR

" the expression on Phill's face as he pulls another Snapper over the side this weekend "

;D yes ;D yes ;D

aussiebasser
23-05-2002, 03:32 PM
Sorta look like a t*rd with teeth.

Touchy - R.I.P.
23-05-2002, 03:57 PM
Chris,Apart from all the Qld confidence & bullsh*t,when you get a few grinners dont throw em away,boil em up & use em with ya berly mix they have a lot of good meat on em :)Cheers T.PS,I have found also if they are around they go with the territory ie squire/snapper,bit like stingrays & whiting they share the same type of ground.><> ><> ><>.

Volvo
23-05-2002, 05:35 PM
Big mouth, soft mouth, lots of teeth, slender tapering body, slippery, sandy/brown colour, lives on sand and knocks off trolled mackeral baits like the proverbial.

Cheers, Kerry.

And a good sign its time ta move off ta different pastures as all your liable ta catch nearby is more grinners.

jaybee
23-05-2002, 06:14 PM
hey chris
Grinners are also known as a sargent baker and a lizard fish. Saurida undosquamis, Saurida tumbil. Some say they are good eating and others say they are full of bones i havent tried eating so cant comment hope this helps.
cheers.

jaybee
23-05-2002, 06:15 PM
heres another shot

mick
24-05-2002, 05:43 AM
body 0f a whiting - head of a dinosaur - teeth of a croc. lockyer got picked up and dumped repeatedly, he played a good game though

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-05-2002, 06:53 AM
phewughhh ... sorry guys just eating my words. Congrats to the blues on an excellent game.
Many thanks for the replies - my question was genuine & particular thanks to Jaybee for the pics. I gather apart from the teeth they are not poisonous & don't have any nasty spines etc.
Thanks again,
chris

imported_admin
24-05-2002, 06:55 AM
Painted Grinner