PDA

View Full Version : Tailor trip

spindles
23-05-2002, 07:06 PM
Hello, my fishing mate is going to take me fishing this Monday afternoon, May 27th. He got bitten by the fishing bug 4 years ago and tailor in the surf somewhere around Tweed Heads or Kingscliff area is our destination. We are both over 55 and semi retired and hoping to bring home a feed, so any information that you experts can pass on to us will be greatly appreciated. We are thinking of staying the night and heading home to Brisbane early Tuesday.

From Spindles

CHRIS_aka_GWH
24-05-2002, 09:10 AM
G'day spindles,
we haven't fished the tweed coast this year yet, there's been enough action around straddie to keep us off the streets. Last year we had some quality trips on the beach south of the Cudgen creek bridge but the form of the beach is always changing. Your best bet is to get down there about lunch time & have a leisurely drive along the coast road stopping at the numerous goat tracks to the beach until you spot some good high tide form then be there about 4.30pm. Also note the low tide spots & track the distance on the trip meter of your car so you can find the low tide gutter track in the middle of the night, if you're fishing an allnighter.
The tides is a moderate size one (good for beach fishing) but the bright moon could make the tailor a bit picky. Our crew had greatest success with pencil gar last year over pillies/flesh, but the fish on straddie so far this year seem to be liking tuna flesh the best. On a bright moon keep the gar moving - the tailor tend to hit it rather than pick at it.
I'll probably be fishing straddie at the same time Monday, I'd be interested how you do on the tweed.
chris
P.S. don't forget to get a licence unless you are exempt.

jaybee
24-05-2002, 03:54 PM
hi spindles
If you are only going as far down as kingscliff the beach right in front of the bowls club fishes well at dawn and dusk if the tailor are on, also south of the south wall on a low but you need to be really careful here as there are deep holes in the rocks and at times quality snapper and spangled emporer can be picked up while fishing for tailor. Another spot is below the lighthouse at fingal but again can be dangerous even on a low sea. take care and tight lines.
cheers.

spindles
24-05-2002, 07:59 PM
Chris,
Thanks for the information.I will give it a try along that beach.I have a hand held GPS. so it will come in handy using your advice. I will let you know how we go .I'd be interested how you do on straddie.
spindles.

spindles
24-05-2002, 09:16 PM
Jaybee,
Thanks for the reply.Much appreciated but so far I might take chris's advice I'm not too good off the rocks but I will check in front of the bowls club as well.I appreciate the input.
spindles

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-05-2002, 03:45 AM
hey spindles,
just revising my initial post. The evening high tide is a big one, I must have accidently looked at the wrong week - apologies for that. You'll want to find some really deep high tide form or you'll get blasted off the beach. The morning tide is a better one a bit smaller. The one advantage of big tides if you are fishing an allnighter is the small low tide gives you the chance to fish the deep back channel gutters around the low tide ebb. Thats what I'll be doing on staddie with strips of tuna looking for that cracker greenback. Good luck with your trip - l look forward to seeing how you go.
chris

spindles
26-05-2002, 05:27 PM
Chris,
We are only thinking of fishing the afternoon tide then bunking till about 4.0am to7.30 and heading home. also we have wa pillies for bait. The mate has to be at work by midday. tight lines.
spindles.

spindles
29-05-2002, 07:26 AM
24 tailor&perfect conditions.

bugman
29-05-2002, 07:52 AM
Nice work Spindles,
just wondering if they only came on at night like our recent trip to straddie.
If this keeps up I'm going to go through a few sets of batteries in my headlamp.
Bugman

spindles
29-05-2002, 05:52 PM
Bugman.late afternoon & early morning. just on dark and daybreak.We lost a lot just could not hook up properly.
spindles

CHRIS_aka_GWH
30-05-2002, 07:26 AM
good work spindles - nice feed,
thanks for the pic, I can put a face to the voice now. I gather posting the pic wasn't to hard, I'll have to give it a go sometime if I can find a mate with the hardware. Interesting the weather was good because the Pin had a stiff 15-20knot southerly around midday Monday which convinced me to be lazy Monday night, especially as I couldn't catch any tuna for bait during the day. I wonder if it died at night.
Fortune favours the brave they say - well done gents!
chris

spindles
30-05-2002, 06:48 PM
Chris. Thanks I'm the one holding the rod with the short butt.spindles.