PDA

View Full Version : Diseased fish caught near 'hell cell' find

jaybee
30-05-2002, 05:00 AM
Courier Mail 29th May 02

FOR 14 years, Andrew White and his family have reeled in catfish from their property on the Brisbane River at Moggill, but lately the catch has worried them.

Dr White, a scientist, began noticing lesions and bloody sores on the catfish.
"They were diseased and unhealthy," Dr White said.

"I know a contaminated fish when I see one and these had very nasty lesions. There is something pathologically wrong."

He contacted The Courier-Mail yesterday after reading how scientists had discovered pfiesteria, known as "the cell from hell" because of its toxicity, in sediment in Brisbane waterways.

Pfiesteria is a single-celled algae which blooms to produce potent toxins that attack fish.

Scientists and research staff who have come into close contact with the toxins and diseased fish have suffered neurological and respiratory problems with short-term symptoms similar to Alzheimer's disease and multiple sclerosis.

Pfiesteria has been found in sediment in three locations in Brisbane, prompting an investigation and further sampling this week by the Environmental Protection Agency.

Premier Peter Beattie yesterday moved to allay public concerns over the algae.

Mr Beattie said the Environmental Protection Agency was monitoring the situation but the risk to humans was low.

So far there has been no confirmation of pfiesteria in fish in Queensland, but if Dr White's concerns are well-founded the EPA could face an environmental crisis.

Pfiesteria thrives in warm estuarine water rich in nutrients from sewage and primary industries run-off.

The catfish with lesions were caught just 2km downstream from the junction of the Brisbane River with the Bremer River, one of the sites where pfiesteria was found.

Within five minutes of throwing a line in late yesterday from the banks of his property, Dr White had caught a catfish and a bream, both healthy. He plans to take the next lesion-affected fish he catches to a laboratory for analysis.

Vern_Veitch
04-06-2002, 05:48 PM
Glad you picked this up while I was away JayBee. This is scary. I saw the original US Documentary and they believe that this mutated algae killed people who were working with it. Anyone for a swim in the Brisbane River?
Vern

jaybee
04-06-2002, 06:24 PM
Thanks vern, don't know if you are aware but there is further reading in the hard copy of the courier mail in the inside mail page 29 about the same thing and then it goes onto a story about the caged fish breeding programme. Here is the web site about the programme and the proposed areas in moreton bay. http://www.sunaqua.com/
Could be cause for alarm if this gets the go ahead with all the high nutrients being fed to the caged fish.
cheers.

Fitzy
04-06-2002, 07:25 PM
On any given day there's dozens of skiers on that section of river around the Brisbane/Bremer junction. (Only a few kms from my place).
Maybe this will keep them away a bit. Used to hear the bloody roar of ski boats all weekend from the last place I lived in before recently moving.

Back to fishing, that area of river is home to an unusually huge population of river whalers, I wonder if there's a connection there?
I was recently down the Bremer pegging lures for bream/bass & went past the drain from the Dinmore Meatworks. I had mistakenly (at the time) thought they were allowed ZERO run off into the river anymore but I saw this 8 inch pipe going full noise & the water was boiling with catties feeding on it. I shot off a whole roll of film to send to the council & EPA. They weren't really interested, nor was the local rag.
I used to be in QA at the Churchill abattoir further upstream on the Bremer & several years ago that place was forced to have zero run off into the river.
The biggest problem for the Bremer is that NO water gets past Berries Lagoon Weir unless its a major flood event. All of the water gets pumped over to Swanbank Power station for cooling. The only run it gets is from stormwater out of the booming residential estates along the river & the out flow from the Tivoli & Bundamba sweage plants.
The situation is not helped by ex Ipswich City Council engineers who come up with lane brained ideas about blowing up all of the rock bars in the Bremer so big barges can once again ply that river. Umpteen years of dredging is what lowered the rivers level & exposed these rocks, now they want to dig it even deeper & cause even more serious erosion that nobody wants to even attempt to fix! Undercut banks are a major source of sedementation & the best efforts of fixing it is to dump a few car bodies over the bank to try to build it back up. Hell there's houses in danger of falling in its that bad.
Along some of the Bremers major tributaries eg Bundamba Creek, the Ipswich City Council had the bright idea of removing the pest trees Chinese Elm & Mulberry. Good move in theory, but in parctice they didn't replant natives in their place. With no shade on the water it almost killed that creek that WAS until recently home to platypus & the very rare freshwater crab. Now no more mullet can get past the bank to bank weeds, the yewies can't nest in all that weed & the juvenile bass/bream have also got buckleys of moving up thru the weed either. The shrimp however are doing great in the now warm, weedy water!

From my local perspective, its all one big game of "pass the buck".
Someone has got to stand up & take some blame for this monumental screwup!

Fitzy..

Cremated_Reddog
05-06-2002, 11:39 AM
On any given day there's dozens of skiers on that section of river around the Brisbane/Bremer junction. (Only a few kms from my place).
Maybe this will keep them away a bit. Used to hear the bloody roar of ski boats all weekend from the last place I lived in before recently moving.

Oi Mr Fitz, there aint nothing wrong with the roar of a ski boat if they are skiing but these wankers in ski boats who go around buzzing fisher ppl and the like should have their boats took away from them for a while. I know it's hard to imagine but there are good skier folk out there too just prob not up here in Qld... Besides that if you start inviting them up your way to ski they might all get that algae and die off never to return,, hahahahahah ;D ;D ;D

Mr Dawggggggggg

The_Walrus
06-06-2002, 05:17 AM
[quote author=Fitzy link=board=General;num=1022626803;start=0#3 date=06/03/02 at 23:25:02]
shot off a whole roll of film to send to the council & EPA. They weren't really interested, nor was the local rag.

Hi Fitzy,

In my opinion, the last thing EPA is interested is protecting the environment unless there a big outcry to force their hand. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm23.gif

EPA probably handed out a permitt for the pipe ???

Luc

I think I'm getting cynical ???