PDA

View Full Version : I wonder what ET will catch next?

SeanCasey
02-06-2002, 09:43 PM
I dont know about anyone else, but ET is the most predictable fisherman around: Don't miss next week, we'll be heading up North to target ummmm, I wonder.......BARRAMUNDI :o :o :o :o Maybe its because he doesn't know how to fish for fish that are a little harder to catch.....Don't get me wrong if he went up there once every 6 months that would be fine, but I bet the next time you watch it, he will either be fishing for Trout and on next weeks show.....Barra, or vice versa!! From all reports fishing up north is great, but Why not go offshore, troll for mackeral, throw poppers over reefs, with all that variety why just one fish All the time? Anyway that is just my opinion. Look forward to hearing everyones opinion on it.

jezza
03-06-2002, 05:47 AM
Couldn't agree with you more!!!!You can only watch so many barra and trout shows before weeding the garden becomes a more likely proposition!Also,coming from Adelaide,not too many estuaries or river systems hold barra!hahaha!Not a real bad show though.
Until next time...

spindles
03-06-2002, 08:02 AM
I dont know but i think these fishermen on tv get onto the top fishermen in the area take them on to the show and make out it's their knowhow.

jaybee
03-06-2002, 08:35 AM
My Bro lives at Brunswick Heads. Rex Hunt did a segment on fishing the river down there a few years ago. Took seven days for them to catch 6 fish for the TV. They pulled up beside my bro on one of the days in the river he caught 7 sodgers to their 7 undersized ;D can't beat local knowledge eh... I go down there now just to fish for bream in winter and summer and the big whiting in summer. My bro did say however that the package they put together looked good on TV. So I suppose the Question is: is it a lot of hard work to put together a segment for us fishers to enjoy or is it a waste of money..and how many fish are damaged in the process ???

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-06-2002, 09:03 AM
jeez you guys are harsh,
its an entertainment show on a commercial station. They don't make believe they'll teach you anything, they just direct the show at screening some fishing action of a guy who loves fishing but doesn't call himsef a guru, while plugging a couple of products within the segment. They definitely give credit to the guides that put them there.
As for variety yesterday had blue throated wrasse, leatherjackets, tailor,salmon, yellowtail kingies etc. Barra are the flagship for tourist fishing up north so of course they're going use that to sell the show but no doubt there'll be the usual creek hoodlums caught as well. Also it must be far easier & cheaper to film inshore than offshore & weather isn't as bigger factor.
Accept it as entertainment & advertorial, thats what it is.
chris

jaybee
03-06-2002, 09:26 AM
jeez you guys are harsh hi Chris, well I didnt think I was being harsh and I apologise if this is the way it come across. I did say tho
however that the package they put together looked good on TV. entertainment. I have fallen for the trap where a segment has been done and have rushed of to fish in the same area for zip.. just wish some shows would say
Hey we spent seven days in the area for this amount of quality fish. Not make out it fishes like that all the time. But thats my personal opionion
cheers.

CHRIS_aka_GWH
03-06-2002, 10:15 AM
gday Jaybee,
i'm at work & started typing my post before yours displayed, then got sidetracked before posting so I wasn't refering to your reply. Apologies if you took it that way :-[
In regards to the num of trips it takes to film a segment, do you remember on Brownies a while back John Palmero caught a knobby on the Atkinson ?? (the one off wellington point) artifical reef. Brownie then came on later & explained that that snapper was caught after a week of getting up early catching live bait & intensely fishing the reefs outside off Moreton & Straddie for no result On the day they got the snapper the weather had turned a bit foul & they were burnt out so John floated the pillie inside on the artifical reef & BANG, they had a crackerjack fish to show for a segment on snapper fishing. The live baiting techniques were shown even though the humble pillie was victorious. That explanation from Brownie has often made my ego feel a lot better when calling the wife from the boat ramp to tell her to pull some sausages out for dinner.
chris

jaybee
03-06-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi Chris Working on a sunday arvo ??? I can speak I will be working next sunday..oh well someone has to do it.. Apologie not needed these things happen..Well it appears brownie has got it down pat then with the truth and I think that is all that we can honestly expect..
tight lines mate
cheers.

Wesley_Pang
03-06-2002, 02:54 PM
I've caught a few of E.T. show. I've watch when it was just on Fox 8(on Foxtel) before channel 9 picked it up.

E.T. had a program where he went to Lord Howe, fished popper for G.T. off Cato Reef(Great Barrier Reef), SE Qld impoundment bass, tassie trout, Vic eastuary, NSW bream on lures with Bushy and Starlo, Liverpool river barra, Hinchenbrook. I think he has a bit of variety.

These week-in-week out Fishing shows are not too easy to film. They take a lot of hours of fishing to get 10 minutes of air time. Some places more than others. My brother George(use the handle team_mongo on this board) was at Liverpool river N.T. when he was filming a segment. It took only a day or so to get his footage, it that full of Barra(E.T. caught his personal best barra on that trip). Hinchenbrook took him a week to get the footage.

My brother tells me he is a full on fisherman. From what I've read he is not a bad angler. I'm reading the book "Wildfish" from the SBS program. Peter Morse was guiding in PNG at a lodge Dean Butler part-owned. Shimano brought E.T. and Jahn Haenke(cameraman for Wildfish, Harro series and E.T now) to flim some action. They got into some dogtooth tuna. They landed on 3 out of the 30 hookup on 37kg standup with 27kg drag. E.T. was drag across back of the boat by these beasts. This was when E.T. was still playing I think, so he was strong and fit.

There are many constrains to filming a fishing show. I guess E.T. enjoys fishing for barra.

I guess most of jealous of these guys on T.V. and think we could do a better job. I don't think it too easy. They have to splice a few fish from different angles to make interesting.

Another show I enjoy, but I think the presenter are a bit of a clown is "Fishing WA' its on the Lifestyle change on Foxtel(where you can see all the Rex shows too). "Fishing WA" is a full on fishing show. Make WA look like its teeming with fish.

I can't get enough of any fishing shows.

Wes

SeanCasey
05-06-2002, 09:24 AM
I love fishing shows,vids anything too, I'm not really that dissatisfied, I prefer Rex anyday, he uses light line and always puts the fish back (so it seems). But i guess we are all different, good to see it got everyones back up but!!! ;D

Wesley_Pang
05-06-2002, 02:48 PM
Sean,

My favourite TV fishing series was the "Wildfish" series on SBS(later on Foxtel). Too bad only 2 series of 26 half hour programs were only ever made over 4 years.

That series feed my obsession on saltwater flyfishing. I've fished some of the locations he featured and they are as good as he shows them. The tailing Hervey Bay Golden Trevally is one of my favourites.

"A river somewhere.." was a more a travel show rather than a fishing show, but it was well done. It got a lot of people into flyfishing. Lots of gear for sale 2nd hand when they discovered it was not for them.

Too bad Bushy did do more flyfishing in Rex's show, because he is a gun flyfisherman. I hear Starlo and Bushy have a WA series going.

Hopefully with Optus and Foxtel merging programming, I'll be able to see some stuff on EPSN. I like to see the Flip Pallot series on Bahamas saltwater flyfishing.

Wes

StuH
06-06-2002, 07:20 AM
Hi Fellas,
I think ET covers a fair variety of fishing styles, but if I personally was given a half hour Fishing show every week, all the Shimano gear I wanted, a flash boat, a couple of hot co-hosts and the choice of where I should fish, I think I would be heading up north at every opportunity to chase Barra as well. (Not to get away from the co-hosts).
As far as John Palermo goes, I am sure he is a gun Snapper fisherman, but I am sure that on more than one occasion when the fish where running hot all John did was change his shirt to get a couple of weeks episodes of Snapper fishing. You could just about put money on it that as soon as Brownie said his name there was a Snapper session about to come up.

Stu.

Harro
09-06-2002, 04:26 AM
TV fishing is all about perceptions and entertainmment.
Content that hard core anglers on good water might distainfully regard as pedestrian can be informative to the fish starved living in a metropolis. Most of all it has to be entertaining. There it's Rex Hunt by miles; Rex has a camera persona, a strong speaking voice and an ad lib capacity that's the envy of every other tele-fisher.
ET is a darn good bloke and a man's man -
like Rex he's got a coupla hundred first grade games under his belt and gives fishing another pair of safe and sure hands. He's fortunate to have Haenke as a cameraman.
Heanke was quick to learn that when on a shoot it's all "location".

Fisherman02
09-06-2002, 04:51 PM
g'day guys
sean, yep today ET went fishing for trout and barras ::)
cheers jack

Smithy
14-06-2002, 08:00 PM
Pity you city slickers don't get regional TV. There is a show on regional Channel 10 called "Fish 'n' 4 Wheels". Luckily the 4 wheels doesn't play a big part in it and he has probably only done about half a dozen 4WD reports. Other than that it is nearly a full on 22 minutes of top fishing action by a top fisherman it seems with a great TV presence - Eddie Riddle. It has all been Qld based so far and it is produced in Townsville. They have stories from the Sunshine Coast to the Gulf. Probably just edges out Wildfish for more fishing action.

Muzzy
15-06-2002, 12:56 AM
My self I dont much get in to telly stuff, but its good in the wet durring the monsoon...

Anyways for all their faults the T.V guru-swami big cheese fellas are doing us favours. By giving my/our recreation T.V air time over lawn bowles and may be getting one kid from in front of a play station... two thumbs up for that.

End of the day the shows are just like the WWF light entertainment with a theme...

Sure you learn where to go to fish (great for find a location for a holiday), but have you seen one do a knots only type stuff etc a segment with no flash guides boat and reel that looks as if aint ever been used. But unless you are fairly hard core thats boring and silver fish with big mouths aint...

One thing I realy dig about that bearded git ole rex is the fact he truly gets excited like a kid when he catches a fish, that eddie riddle chap gets the giggles up to. at least those two clowns enjoy their fishing unlike the other guru types that think its some kinda jedi knight hero worship thing...

Muz

P.S I also like harro's vids never seen a telly show with him, probably better as the telly shows are adverts at the end of the day...

P.P.S I would dig ole max garth getting up there and telling it like it is, no bullsh@t just fishsh@t...

Fisherman02
15-06-2002, 11:54 AM
hey, I like playing playstation :)

Ron_Collins
15-06-2002, 02:03 PM
Hi all
This is another interesting topic. Personally, I don't mind ET's style, even if it comes across that he's not caught all that many fish.

At least he seems genuine and of late the species of fish have been quite general, and accessible to the majority. I guess the slant of the show is "flavoured" a bit by his sponsors, but at the end of the day someone has to pay for it, and they deserve something in return.

I've never met Rex, but have to say that he's done a heap for rec fishing in Australia. We may not all agree with his style and comments, but even though he seems to spend a fair bit of air time under the wings of experienced guides, I know that he has a pretty good rec fishing record in Victoria, so he's certainly put in the hard yards. Which is something others have not.

Having had a crack at making a video, I can say for sure and certain that it's not easy to put together one great half hour show, let alone 13 weeks of them in a row - rain, hail or shine.

I can't understand why Harro has never been able to get a slot on tv. I like his larconic, Aussie style. And he's got the fish runs on the board threefold. Sure I can call him a mate, but I would still have the same opinion if we'd never met.

My understanding is that the ET production is now based on the Sunshine Coast. One of the upcoming segments is about bar crossing, which should be informative and interesting to quite a few of us. Ron Collins, Ed.

Harro
15-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Hey Ron,

I could have done with the money mate - but didn't kiss enough (and the right) arses.

Randall
15-06-2002, 03:58 PM
Hey Ron,

I could have done with the money mate - but didn't kiss enough (and the right) arses.

Hey Harro, you can come and star in Randall and Bombers "nuts and bolts" fishing videos anytime you like.
I gaurantee no arse kissin.....and I can also gaurantee bugger-all payment!! ;-) If we could afford a legend, your the man for us!! ;-)

For now?....I`m afraid it`s ugly ole Bomber in front of the camera. Jeez he`s a conceited so and so though!! ;-)

Our latest episode....Bomber up the Passage!!

Regards, Randall.

Spawn
16-06-2002, 08:31 AM
:o I really like ET and Rex Hunt. I was a little surprised to read your note, only because I enjoy watching any fish being caught and pulled out of the water that it could be the same fish and I would still coo. I suppose if I had a little more experience myself, I might feel different, however I do think they do a good job of the shows. I prefer ET because he doesn't spend as much time focussing on advertising as rexy. He also gives a good deal of credit to the locals he has to get the fish and local knowledge which is fair. :D