PDA

View Full Version : Fisheries Grey Nurse Shark Scam

2_Bob
16-06-2002, 07:45 AM
I thought you blokes might be interested. If you take part in the "submission on line" about the areas they're talking about closing to protect the Grey Nurse Shark's, (so only the divers can go there) , you get about ten or so box's you can tick representing your interests before you make any comments. There's no "Aquaculture" mentioned but if you tick "Boating" as one of you interests, when you submit, it goes in saying you support "Aquaculture" instead of boating. I'd like to have a choice wouldn't you. Looks like some sort of a scam to me ?

http://www.fisheries.nsw.gov.au/conservation/species/grey-nurse/home-grey-nurse.htm

Spawn
16-06-2002, 08:08 AM
yeh sounds pretty fishy? ::)

jaybee
16-06-2002, 10:28 AM
Would be interesting to see the statistics of how many Grey Nurse are caught by people fishing the reef. I have never caught one in Qld or NSW while fishing. Plenty of others though and released unharmed or bitten off. Would also be interesting to see the stats on how many are killed by divers with power heads. ???
cheers.

2_Bob
17-06-2002, 03:25 AM
What I'm dirty about is that everybody that submits a reply, gives them a positive vote for aquaculture, without even knowing. So, further down the track, the Fisheries will come up with all these votes for aquaculture. ???

Jason_L
17-06-2002, 10:49 AM
i thought Grey Nurse sharks were protected anyway.

Vern_Veitch
17-06-2002, 04:09 PM
2_Bob,
I had a look at the submission form and do not understand where you got the idea that a tick for boating is a tick for aquaculture. Can you provide more details?
Not a Qld issue but I am just interested.
Vern

imported_admin
17-06-2002, 09:31 PM
Vern

In the HTML of the page the value of the tick box associated with Boating is "Aquaculture"

Copy of code
<input TYPE="CHECKBOX" NAME="Aquaculture" value="ON"> Boating<br>

So when someone ticks that box and submits the form it would show that they have tick a box for Aquaculture not Boating.

angelena
18-06-2002, 05:38 AM
some one needs to take a pick axe to the head of these decision makers. they have the ability to manipulate a situation to ahieve a desired outcome.

this is an obvious example

nsw_fisheries
18-06-2002, 06:05 AM
Hello

The boating box was incorrectly labelled Aquaculture in the Form Results. It has now been given its correct label and will not have changed the results for any submissions sent in.

I can assure everyone this was not a scam but an unintentional tech. error. All ticks to the 'boating' interest group will be attributed to that group & not 'Aquaculture'.

As webmaster I welcome any comments you may have about our website, please do not hesitate to email me at andrewsw@fisheries.nsw.gov.au.

I apologise for any inconvenience or confusion caused.

Warren Andrews
A/ESD manager
NSW Fisheries

jaybee
18-06-2002, 12:23 PM
At least NSW fisheries have the courtesy to explain, now if we could only get QLD fisheries to do the same. :)