PDA

View Full Version : Are You Having Fun Yet??

webby
19-06-2002, 04:09 PM
Fishing has certainly become very trendy these days, with the likes of the bearded burbler and others having made their mark on telly, it seems every man/woman and child that has remotely any access to water has #been encouraged to take up arms and "get aline wet". When you sit back and have a look at fishing what is it really all about ??

Is it a combination of sport and hobby or is it the chance to get away from the rat-race. Websites/TV and Magazines and numerous other titles that line the shelves of newsagents, allow anglers and readers a degree of escapism within the Forums & Pages, whilst also offering a huge array of tips & techniques to improve their success as anglers.

I spoke to a couple of fishing #aficionados the other day at the boat ramp & they were having a bit of a whinge about the fact they didn't catch many fish for the day, in fact they didnt catch any, and were gradually working through their list of complaints which ranged from insufficient equipment to the area just not having any fish.

They were even suggesting that #because they didnt have enough gear or tackle to fish, or a big flashy boat to sit in, They might even give away fishing altogether. The day that fishos give up wetting a line because they feet that it is far too expensive for them to partake would be a sad day. Is it the fabric of Modern society that makes us beleive that we must have this new reel or that new sounder to be successful.
Does more fishing gear make you a #better Angler ???

What Your Opinion ???

Amberjack
19-06-2002, 04:22 PM
Webby

In this affluent society of ours, we really no longer need to catch fish to feed our families. Therefore I feel we are missing the point if we bitch too loud and long at the poor catch we bring home. A good fisherman will catch fish most of the time and in time past, good fishermen lacked the most rudimentary of tackle.

I went out last Sunday with Reddog, caught one keeper for the trip and had a great time just being there.

Damn Straight!!!!! I'm having fun!!!!!

AJ :D :D :D :D :D

Fitzy
19-06-2002, 04:47 PM
Wow, that's deep Webby! A good read.
The days where angling success (or lack thereof) is guaged by how full the esky is, are all but a gonner.
Fish for fun & if you get a goodun its a bonus.

Cheers,

Fitzy..

Lucky_Phill
19-06-2002, 05:20 PM
Well Brian, I have guys at work that just don't " GET " fishing.

The old " Ball and Chain " doesn't get it either.

If the Psychologist's ever got a hold of a Fisherperson, they'd have us all committed.

I just got a John Lennon song the other day. " all you need is Love :. He wasn't talking about personal relationships, he was talking about our hobby,,,,, Fishing.

If you got fishing, weel that's all you need.

And as a friend of mine once told me......Fishing isn't a matter of Life or Death, it's more important than that :o

So, hey Webby, the point of fishing is !...............that's up to the individual. But as I see, you can't complain about anything, fishing wise, as you have just done what 7 billion people around the world can't do. Think about it people. How lucky are we.

We have a day ( wednesday ) at work now called " No Complain Day ". Man how I look forward to that day.

Please, pass it forward !!!!! ::) ;D ;D ;D ;D

Birdy
19-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Webby,

It's all about fun hey,sure i like to and do eat some of the fish i catch but i release the majority of fish i catch and just keep enuff to eat in the immediate future. I own and do use some of the latest and greatest gear on the market but i'm sure it doesn't help me catch any more fish but what it does do is make the day a little easier because of the advances in ergonomics the new gear is easier to use and hey if i'm totally honest i just like good gear.
Last good feed of fish i killed was using a 15 lb handline on a plastic spool,i doubt the best gear in the world would have been any more effective in gathering those fish for the table.

As long as your enjoying yaself fishing keep doing it and bugger everyone else cause that's what it's all about.

Birdy

bugman
19-06-2002, 05:32 PM
Webby
I'll admit to coming back to the boat ramp with a fair bit of frustration on some days after looking into a near empty esky.

I'll question whether the $80 I spent on the trip is value for money when I fry up the two fillets for tea that night.

But when my head hits the pillow that night all I think about is the pure joy I had while on the water and count down the days until I can do it all again.

Fun doesn't even come close to it.

Six days 10 hours and 42 seconds until I go again.

Regards
bugman

spindles
19-06-2002, 09:02 PM
Can you name a sport, hobby or anything else that you put your money into and come home ahead.fishing is the only one I can think of that you can come home with something that you can call profit. (if you can call it that).spindles.

Harrya
20-06-2002, 03:36 AM
Hi all you fisherman. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm3.gif
I have read http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm15.gifwhat your saying and I have to agree with what you are say . http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm35.gif
I love http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm38.gifto get in my tinny and drop aline and spend the time in the freash air ,Doing something different than sitting at home watching T V . http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm4.gif http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm4.gif
And if by some stroke of luck I happen to catch some fish to take home , Well that's a bonus! http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm32.gif
It is so much fun to me to fight a fish with a light line and rod and win .
I hope there will be more of it. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm1.gif
keep on catching em
Harrya

Jason_L
20-06-2002, 06:34 AM
well. for me. i go fishing for the fun, and your not going to catch that record breaking fish if your line isn't in the water.

I'm happy if i catch something no matter how small the fish is, it keeps me interested and gives me something to do.

I love lure fishing.... the adrenalin rush from the line going tight when that fish hits, you never know when it's going to happen.

Unfortunately, most of teh places around here are fished out. but i feel that people are getting more educated with size and bag limits, and if it wasn't for the pro's, i think fish stocks would replenish real quick. 2 - 3 years.

Jack_Lives_Here
20-06-2002, 07:03 AM
Yep! Having a tonne of fun. Just to out and about is all it takes for me - It is escapism and with me sometimes an obsession, but at least I can't get arrested for that. ;D

I don't give a rats if I don't catch fish - they only make the esky smell at any rate. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm12.gif
Most times the scenery and the company is all it takes for an excellent days fishing. 8)

Beggsy
20-06-2002, 08:47 AM
Mate,

I don't own a boat, I use a homemade rod holder and a homemade Gaff and a whole bunch of other homemade bits and pieces.
I pull up in my trusty Tarago and fish out the back in relative comfort and enjoy the relative peace and quiet of the Bay at night..... you know, the sound of the water, the twinkle of the stars etc.
I get some of my best thinking done while fishing at night and I just love it when one of my homemade gadgets actually works..

Oh, and that's right, the occasional fish isn't bad either.....
and even then, I'm finding more and more lately, that I find some excuse (it's too cold to clean 'em, I'll only have to wash out the esky later, I can't be bothered) to put the little buggers back anyway.

Those blokes should lighten up and enjoy life and quit wasting money then worrying about it......

stevedemon
20-06-2002, 01:13 PM
Hi to all Fisho's
I have to agree with most of you :P but for just getting out there in the boat and a line in the water ::) under the stars :D and the salt air is beautiful 8) it is so refreshing :) to get away from the ratrace ;) of Tv, computers, Fighting Neigbours, Dickheads and there wheellies ???
For just peace an queit, :P I don't care what it costs me or even :-[ if I don't catch a fish although thats a bonus :P 8) ;) for me it is rest an relaxation an a hole lot of fun :D :D :D
Yes I do have fun when I get the chance I will never knock back the chance to go fishing ;) ;)

Thank goodness my wife is :D :D understanding an just say's go for your life :o 8) ???
But I think she likes the rest from me can't blame her at all ;D ;D although she loves her fishing to when she gets the chance 8) 8) but she is a summer fisher-person 8) 8)
But overall it is a hobby that is design for teaching Patients, Rest an Relaxation without the whinging :'( :'(.
Like anyone else I like to eat my fish Fresh not from a supermarket or fish shop
so in saying this keeps those lines tight and the rods bending good fishing to all ::) :P ;D :D ;)
Steve

webby
20-06-2002, 04:53 PM
My own thoughs, If youve got bait on your hook and your lines in the water,sheer weight of numbers is going to get something on the table for you. At the end of the day, good fishing and great times with your friends and family.

adriancorrea
20-06-2002, 07:57 PM
Hi all 8)
Well if I gave it away every time I came back with no fish,
Id be giving it away just about every time I went out :D
I just enjoy going out and having a good time with a mate and wetting a line
away from everything else thats going on in the world http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm30.gif
If I catch fish its a bonus and sure, I come home fustrated at times http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm36.gif but who doesnt???

and yep Im having fun

Tight lines
Adrian

aquarius
20-06-2002, 10:21 PM
Hi guys...I look at fishing as a hobby and a challenge.....my aim is to outsmart as many fish as i can....I don't mean keeping all that i catch, just enough for a feed.we all catch fish at some time but to catch them on a regular basis it takes alot of skill and this is what im looking to do...sure its great fun to relax on the water but it is frustrating knowing the fish are there but just DON'T want to bite.... Mother nature has her way because if the fish were so easy to catch there would be none left.
Thats my theory ...Fishings the best!!!Yes im having fun.

Cheers Brent

Luke
21-06-2002, 02:32 AM
Purely escapism for me. Sometimes people on board with me wonder why I keep getting up and moving spots. If I think about it hard and be honest with myself it's so I can't hear them speak. The 2-stroke sure comes in handy :D Thats why I go out-for some peace and quiet. If I get fish thats a bonus and the gear I use is ok but by no means top of the range.
Cheers Luke

jaybee
21-06-2002, 01:32 PM
Yep sitting on a jetty, bank or in a boat, the wind is blowing, its raining and cold, the fish are not biting, there is a leak in the wet weather gear dripping down my back,shivering like you know what, But I am not going home till one last cast just one last cast... just one last cast... just one last cast........ damn its cold out here...