PDA

View Full Version : How do you like your fish cooked?

fisho
25-06-2002, 04:14 PM
How do you generally like your fish cooked? (or are you a sushi fan?) My favourite would have to be on the BBQ followed by deep fried. Interested in member's thoughts.

jaybee
25-06-2002, 04:41 PM
1. Deep fried in crumbs when its nice and fresh.
2. Kippered (hot smoked)
3. Cold smoked
4. Skinned and soaked in lime and lemon juice for 15 mins in the fridge and eaten raw..specially whiting MMMMM
5. wrapped in foil with tomatoe, potato and onion with a dash of lemon/lime juice on the bbq or coals.
6. Baked in the oven..
Not an easy question to answer I like all the above but not really in that order..depends on how I feel...however FRESH IS BEST ;D ;D

The_Walrus
25-06-2002, 07:13 PM
I'm with you Jaybee although I don't do much of No. 4 !! and don't care much for N0. 3.

Luc

aquarius
25-06-2002, 09:08 PM
Filleted then skinned....roll in flour ,coat in egg pepper and salt then into a frying pan of butter(not margarine)2 minutes either side...mmm moist and succulent
excelent for squire and sweetlip....for extra flavour pour some good white wine over the fish before removing from pan. ;D
Cheers Brent

Jack_Lives_Here
26-06-2002, 06:09 AM
Got me drooling all over my shirt with that one Brent. ;)

cHiCo
26-06-2002, 06:42 AM
Really depends on the fish.
i like my Spanish Mackerel and barra crumbed but fish like bream are better baked with butter, onion, heaps of herbs and spices.
cHiCo

CHRIS_aka_GWH
26-06-2002, 07:25 AM
GRILLED WHITING FILLETS
(copied from the way clayfield seafood markets do them but they do it better - but this is still excellent)

1. preheat the grill in your oven on full with the tray slid in so it heats up

2. on the bench lay a piece of aluminium foil with the edges curled up or an aluminium tray & spray grease/butter to stop fillets sticking

3. lay the fillets skin side down

4. brush lightly with melted butter

5. sprinkle lightly with a mixture of breadcrumbs & parsley. Salt & pepper.

6. put on the hot grill tray, slide back in & cook for 2mins. (don't turn)

Since eating whiting like this I don't eat them any other way - & try out the clayfield seafood markets, credit where credits due.
chris

Lucky_Phill
26-06-2002, 07:47 AM
I have my own recipe for batter, BUT, the other day I was in Woolies and found a packet of " Tempura " batter mix, ( just add water ).

Well shave my beard and call me normal, it was gooooood. I do like to deep fry smaller portions of fish ( bream, Trevally and the " wing " area ).

equal parts s/r flour & plain,
1/6 of that part corn flour,
mix in soda water, ( ginger beer maybe ),
beat 2 egg whites til bubbly and fold in,
sit in fridge for 20 ,minutes
( add custard powder for colour),

I tend to fry in Olive oil, but that can burn if tooo hot. The old Canola oil does the job.

I love fish in bread crumbs and shallow fried. Plain fillets cooked in butter, BBQ while camping, and even had Coral trout in a Webber. Fresh is best. ;D ;D ;D

filkore
26-06-2002, 03:51 PM
Quick and simple recipe for fish batter

1 cup of flour to 1 of soda water and add salt

never goes wrong