PDA

View Full Version : Fish Smokers

Celata
24-06-2002, 03:34 PM
I'm doing a Technology Metal Assignment on designing a fish smoker - you know, one of those little portable ones.

However, google hasn't turned up any interesting results. I myself do not smoke fish.

Does anyone know of any good fish smokers? Why are they good? And any comments about them? What do you find annoying about them? What extra features would be useful? (and so on..)

Thanks to anyone who answers, i'll be checking this thread regularly but need the info fairly soon..

~C

Jason_L
24-06-2002, 04:19 PM
stainless steel is generally the better type of smoker.

I like them, because i like the taste of smoked fish. it's also good because it makes the crappy eating fish edible by keeping teh flesh moist, rather than drying out when cooking it in a pan.

imported_admin
24-06-2002, 05:03 PM
The Nipper Kipper would be my pick for fish smokers.

1. Australian made
2. Burner is better than most on the market
3. Only has a hole on one side of the base so you can point it away from wind.
4. Racks are better setup than others I have used.
5. Slide on lid that seals properly
6, and did I mention it is Australian Made ;D

Have a look at http://www.nipperkipper.com.au/

The_Walrus
24-06-2002, 05:04 PM
Hi Celata,

Try this site.

http://www.nipperkipper.com.au/

It should answer most of your questions

Luc

spinna
24-06-2002, 05:16 PM
Smokers
Well stainless is the way to go. i made one it stood about 200mm high with the legs out. It had fold away legs and a sliding lid and a stainless grate inside . What i would do was put the wood chips under the great the fish on top of the grate close the lid and light the metho burner under the smoker . With the legs folded up it was about 100mm thick and would fit in my pack :D hope that helps.

cheers spinna 8)

Celata
25-06-2002, 11:40 AM
^ ^ Wooo! thanks...

Do you know about the other sort of smoker, the type that you put on your barbie?

jaybee
25-06-2002, 04:49 PM
you can use a baking dish on the bbq if you can fit a rack and some sawdust in the bottom wrapped in foil. I have used the nipper kipper and found it too small, then went to bigger design of the same and was still too small.. i am now using a brinkmann http://www.thebrinkmanncorp.com/acb/showdetl.cfm?&DID=8&Product_ID=50&CATID=6 #and after doing small hams and bacon I still want a bigger one, so am in the process of either coverting an old fridge I have or picking up an old mobile steel loo to convert..decsions decsions..oh the old 44 gal drum is a good smoker as well.. cheers #??? ps from the research I have done on the net and with csiro..stay away from aluminium and galvanised products..and if converting a fridge the insulation needs to be removed and degassed by a qualified person. pps here is another site here in brisvegus that will help u out as well http://www.bbqblue.com.au/site_files/smoke_woods.html

Brian
26-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Came across a smoker the other day a mate at work had one. A mate of his makes them and reside a petrie they appear bigger than the nipper kipper all stainless steel and the burner is somewhat different to say the least. If possible i will try and get a photo.

This bloke makes everything stainless for fishing etc and is just a hobby, I am told he makes gaffs little hand held ones about 18" or so inchs long with a lathed point for around
$ 15.00

Anyway will try for a photo.

Brian

Celata
28-06-2002, 10:42 AM
Okay, this is great! I have all the ones i need. Thank you all ^_^

Info is sufficient, however, i will continue to check at long periods of time just to refer back... thanks all, lots.

~Cel

dazza
28-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Hey Jaybee,
A while back there was a great article in B&B on fish smokers. I think they did a series. Dunno which month but it was this year (I think ??? ???)
Cheers
Dazza

jaybee
28-06-2002, 04:30 PM
Hi Dazza
was last year I wrote a letter with some info in it to BnB and was published..thanks anyway..
cheers