PDA

View Full Version : Braid knots

sooty
20-06-2002, 08:34 AM
Can anyone help with some braid knot illustrations as iI have just spooled up with 30# braid and am having trouble. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm45.gif

Steve_Ooi
20-06-2002, 09:18 AM
sooty that one of the unfortune downside with braids , gelspun polyethylene is very slippery so it tends to knot poorly..
easiest solution is to do extra turns in the knot, say for instance with a normal 40 turn bimini you may want to do about 70 turns. also by using doubles you'll increase surface area and improve knot strength.
here's a site that has a few good knots on it.
http://www.mariner1.com/pub/mariner_magazine/skills/fishing/knots_content.html

A great book definately worth getting is Geoff Wilson's "guide to rigging braids-dacron and gelspun lines"
http://www.ausfish.com.au/books/bookstech.htm

Poony

CHRIS_aka_GWH
20-06-2002, 10:11 AM
i'm a lazy man, I run 24lb gorilla braid on an abu 6500 & i just tie a simple double then thread it thru & back over a swivel then connect a nylon leader to the other end of the swivel. Works well for me, I've never had it fail & the best fish i've got on it was a 15kg spaniard. I used to go to the trouble of bimini joins to leaders etc for flathead trolling but found I did just as well with the simple swivel setup.
chris

lordy
20-06-2002, 11:42 AM
Don't be afraid of a dab of super glue either. Can work wonders on even the worst knots, especially good for braids like BB, but less so for fused lines like fireline, but still works. You could probably make a stronger knot with a 2 or 3 wrap granny and glue than with the best unglued binini. Max recommends the loctite one,and it seems pretty good to me.

Steve_Ooi
20-06-2002, 12:33 PM
Max recommends the loctite one,and it seems pretty good to me.
I haven't tried it yet but if it hold up to Max's standards it should be pretty good..
The loctite 406 is especially designed for hard to glue surfaces, they also produce a primer that is designed to aid in bonding Polyethylene ( primer 770)

Hopeful Max will jump in on this topic and give us some more good info on the braids and glues.

Poony

Jack_Lives_Here
20-06-2002, 01:18 PM
Don't depsair sooty - had the same problems when first started using braid. Just takes a little practice with the knots. I can only say practice one or two knots and become good at them. A book is a real good idea.
For throwing lures I use a 70 turn bimini and attach the leader (usually 40 - 60lb) with a no name knot. Trim it up nice and close and away you go.

Lucky_Phill
20-06-2002, 05:10 PM
Basically I double the turns in the knot I always use. But, apparently the double Uni knot is by far the best as far as ease of tying and knot strength.

??? ;D 8)

Fitzy
20-06-2002, 07:15 PM
For braid to mono leader I don't bother with a double, rather I use a duck nose knot. This is essentially a reverse albright. Number of turns depends upon the thickness of the leader and/or GSP. Thicker = less turns, thinner = more turns.
For mine this is the best knot going when joining lines of different diameters.

Fitzy..

fisho
23-06-2002, 11:20 AM
Try the 'palomar' knot

Brad_Mcalister
23-06-2002, 05:51 PM
For braid to mono leader I don't bother with a double, rather I use a duck nose knot. This is essentially a reverse albright. Number of turns depends upon the thickness of the leader and/or GSP. Thicker = less turns, thinner = more turns.
For mine this is the best knot going when joining lines of different diameters.

Fitzy..

Fitz,
Where will i find a ducknose knot, i just use a locked albright but i was thinking if ya mean reverese as in wrap the mono arond the braid, wouldn't ya end up with a bulkier knot?

Brad

sooty
25-06-2002, 04:31 PM
Thanks for all the info fellers http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

Fitzy
25-06-2002, 05:27 PM
Fitz,
Where will i find a ducknose knot, i just use a locked albright but i was thinking if ya mean reverese as in wrap the mono arond the braid, wouldn't ya end up with a bulkier knot?

Brad
Brad,
I'll show you the knot next time we cross paths.

fitz

Maxg
28-06-2002, 11:24 PM
Well I'm here and you can believe this or knot.
GsP is stiff and slippery, it has a very high modulus and very bad knot strength due to slippage and fibre fracture in the knot. Most test at around 80%, some get to 90+% but never get to 100%. And thats a fact regardless of who claims what.
If you use 25lb braid oa baitcaster you probably never stress the line enough to have problems but if you are using a lot of high load stuff you can get problems.
The cure is simple. Since you are connecting lines to terminal tackle of some sort you want a universal connection to mate with anything, and a coaxially spliced loop does the trick.
You stuff your GsP, braid not fused line, up a piece of Gudebrod Braided nylon, it really doesn't matter what but the heavier the braid the heavier the mono braid.
When you shove the GsP up and through the bit of braid, you then splice it back into itself, GsP and all.
Clean it up and add 1 drop of Loctite 406 to the splice. Use a flex glue, Softex whatever on the end of the braided mono and you have a glued splice. 100% knot strength, lasts for yonks, connects to anything, lures, jigs, bait rigs and is neat and bloody strong. For best results use at least 30lb braid to keep the abrasion resistance up. Too thin a braid and it gets very fragile