PDA

View Full Version : Burley

skippa
12-07-2002, 03:45 PM
HI guys,

Looking for help on burleying. I've read articles, reports etc but would like to hear what works in my local area; Peel, Coochie, Rainbow,Wello point. What to use, Chook pellets? chopped fish? whatever.. How to use, drop to bottom? surface? or chuck out the back of the boat? How much difference does the tide make??
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tony

I'm running out of stories to tell the misses when I come home with a empty esky, and a line about the one that got away!! :-[

Touchy - R.I.P.
12-07-2002, 04:30 PM
Bloody Hell Skipper,You asked 10 questions in one post!! ::)I'll try to put into contect what you have just asked(which this is what I would consider ::)what type of berley I would use/type of fish I was chasing)Depth of water,tide flow,area.A/surface type fish><>mashed pillies/bran/grated potatoe(for the starch)B/bottom fish><>,4/5metre depth,slow tide run,cooked prawn shells mashed/grinners boiled,deboned,skinned(from last Mud Isl.trip ;D)bran all made into a slurry & ONLY ficked over the side & allowed to give the fish a smell not a feed.C/10/12metre,put the above mix in a berley pot,again in only a slow tide flow & sit it on the bottom,lifting up & down every now & again,All of the above would have some tuna oil in the mix,my best advice is to experiment a bit,but do not go Isl.fishin'without berley full stop!!wheat/rice /pellets I feel do not do the job on the reefs as it would tend to sink into the coral & not be as effective as it would be say on a sand or mud bottom where fish could stay in a area picking up each scattered bit(& from past experince )DO NOT USE THE WIFES TUPPWARE TO MIX ANYTHING IN,Cheers Touchy.

webby
12-07-2002, 06:07 PM
Hi , For starters if fishing in shallow waters around Wello,Peel etc mixed up some pellets+tunaoil+water pour into a 2lt milk container with top cut off, freeze. make a few out one bucket of mix.
When u go out drop the frozen block minus milk bottle into your berley pot if u have. Will slowly dissolve. Start this a bottom of tide . Once tide starts to flow in, throw few hand full of pellet over stern with odd piece of scrap bait cut up. Let berley disappear then do it again. Then do it every 10-15mn while lines in the water. If fishing in deeper channels with main current flow, Same process except just use cube berley. of any old fish scraps.. just throw hand full every 10-15 min or so. Pellets are a waste of time in strong currents, like in the bay. Especially Rainbow where it roars threw line a freight train. Using pellets in strong current is like throwing it into the breeze, would most likely end up down the bottom of the bay before it hit bottom. Dont go overboard with what u throw in , you want to entice them, Not feed them. Use floater rigs so your in the berley trail, and not sitting on the bottom while your berley ends up 100m down from where you r fishing.
hope this helps
regards

skippa
12-07-2002, 06:22 PM
Touchy,

Yeah I guess it sounded like 101 questions all at once!! ;D but bugger me if i can get it right. :P Thanks for your advice, and I'll be sure to let you know how I go. Misses says it doesn't matter about the Tuppaware dishes anymore......... just because I soaked the paint brushes in 'em......

Cheers,
skippa

skippa
12-07-2002, 06:44 PM
Hey Webby,

Thanks for your reply. I bet they've had a real feed from me in the past, and they've probably been the ones a hundred yards away! I'll give the milk bottle trick a try next trip to Peel

Thanks again,
skippa 8)

aquarius
12-07-2002, 09:42 PM
:DHey Skippa just a tip ...keep all the old bait not used in the freezer and use it on your next trip as burley.
Cheap tins of cat food work well if mixed in with some tuna oil and chook pellets.(don't buy the dry cat food it just floats away!!)
Cheers Brent ;D

Heath
13-07-2002, 05:53 PM
Any sort of fish offle will do. If you have a berly bucket put it in there & give it a good munching. Then a munch every 15 mins or so. A good idea when doing this is to then floatline a bait down the water column with the berly, it is a very effective way to fish, especially for squire etc.

webby
14-07-2002, 06:22 AM
Hi Though this pic mite humour you all

Greggo
15-07-2002, 05:21 AM
Hi all. Brents tip works for me as well. I buy a tin of cheap cat food and punch holes in it and hang it out the back of the boat. Depending on what your after you can float it near the surface or sink it down to the bottom. Re freeze it again for next time. Cheers.