PDA

View Full Version : how to avoid small squire

graeme
13-07-2002, 11:20 AM
Dear all,
Just wanted some advice as to how to avoid getting your baits demolished in the Bay by undersize Squire before a decent fish gets a chance to come along and grab it!

Everytime I fish around the islands I seem to get savaged by small Squire as I sure many people do. >:( Is there any real way to deter them? Bait choice? Depth to present bait? Use or not of berley?

All help appreciated

Graeme

fisho
13-07-2002, 01:48 PM
In my experience, small squire tend to hang on the bottom.If they are a hassle, why not float your bait up off the bottom and burley and let the bigger fish come to you!

Best of luck
;)

Heath
13-07-2002, 05:50 PM
Graeme,

Try float lining, we have found that the bigger fish hang a bit higher up the water column that the smaller fish

Lucky_Phill
14-07-2002, 09:51 AM
NO doubt float lining is The Go !

As current increases so does the size of any sinker you put on the line to keep it mid water / off the bottom. Keep in mind that Snapper / Squire feed / hang mid water during the day and tend to bottom feed at night. That is not a hard and fast rule though, fish can't read ??? ::)

Big Baits, Big Fish. I have used Cuttlefish the size of my hand for large squire / snapper.

graeme
16-07-2002, 08:57 AM
Dear All,
Thanks for the replies, basically looks like I should be using the same tactics I use when fishing offshore for squire/snapper....does not do any harm to get a consensus of opinion though!

Thanks

Graeme :D