PDA

View Full Version : Fishing Dunk Island

rakey1
18-07-2002, 03:58 PM
Hey all,
going to Dunk Island for a week at Christmass and am looking for any tips on the fishing.
Interested in live baiting the jetty, charter options, spinning around the island etc.
All fishing will be catch and release, after a photo of course.
I s there enough to keep the missus occupied while I fish?
cheers
rakey1

Slates
19-07-2002, 09:53 AM
G'day Rakey
You lucky bugger!
Great joint - make sure you don't miss the seafood buffet night!
Really pokes the ribs out http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm44.gif

I went there a May or so ago for my honeymoon and managed to squeeze in 4 rods and about 4kg of lures etc ;D

I'm sure I've recently replied to a Dunk Isl query, but can't find it.

Anyway, standing at the end of the jetty, looking backtowards Mission Beach, there is a decent bommie about 40m at about 2 o'clock.
There were tarpon (see saltwater fishing pics) busting up the surface there all day.
Around the jetty - particularly at dusk and night, there were small barra and golden trevs to 6 or so kg - easy.
Either side of the jetty there were heaps of 4 inch baitfish - ideal !
But take a cast net as they wouldn't take any sort of bait or jig.

High tide there was a bunch of very large fish 'tailing' along the main beach (straight out from the bar). Not sure what they were as they were gone when I came back from one of those silly 'romantic walks' you have to do on honeymoons ;)

A charter bloke turns up (when there are enough numbers) and picks people up from the jetty at about 8am for live-baiting sessions on hte reef.

I think my missus had fun too! ;D

Good luck, you'll have a ball!!

Cheers, Slates

rakey1
20-07-2002, 01:26 PM
Hey Slates.
I think you may have replied to a similar post I put up on another fishing site.
Thanks for the reply though, I'll definately be giveing the seafood a big nudge, as well as the amber ales.
Noticed you never gave any secret tips on your Sunshine Coast Jacks though.
cheers
rakey1

Vern_Veitch
21-07-2002, 08:40 AM
Better get your response in to the GBRMPA Representative Areas Program or you may not be allowed to fish there at all.
Vern

rakey1
21-07-2002, 12:47 PM
Hey Vern, see your from Townsville way and you must know something I dont re closures?
I allways head north for my holidays, which are fishing orientated, so if things are changing or I need to input an opinion, point me in the direction.
cheers
rakey

Vern_Veitch
21-07-2002, 01:41 PM
Rakey1,
have a look at the poost on GBRMPA Closures and it gives you a link. Here it is again. www.seamedia.com.au and follow the link to the GBRMPA Representative Areas Program.
Basically they want to close 25% of all GBR waters to fishing and they have been supported by the tourism association.
Get all your mates to fill in the form as well. We don't mind yellow areas where we can still fish with one line but object to large areas where we cannot wet a line at all.
Vern

rakey1
21-07-2002, 02:29 PM
Sorry Vern, if I looked a liitle further in the posts I would have seen that.
Not being a local, Im a little bit hesitant on makeing grandiose statements in the survey, but Im about to log on and have a look.
If I feel that we as rec fishers are getting shafted, I will certainly be broadcasting the site to all for them to fill in the survey
cheers
rakey