PDA

View Full Version : braid line

fibre_glass
06-07-2002, 03:52 PM
gidday,
seeking to find out where I could find the best braid line in brisbane with more than 150 meters on the spool.
I only fish deep water and need twice that amount on the spool .
I use a maximum of 15lb out there
due to the depth,current and the fun of working to get the fish up from the bottom.

clutter
06-07-2002, 05:55 PM
I use Platypus super braid and find it pretty good although not in that smaller size. I usually get it from Captain Blighs at Slacks Creek. I get mine in 300m spools but have seen it available in 500m.
Clutter.

imported_admin
06-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Hi

Have a look at http://www.ausfish.com.au/harro/

Smallest size listed is 20lb, but I have a 500 yard spool of 12 lb here if you are interested. 12lb is dearer than the 20 and 30 lb though, more expensive to make. Is the same price as the 50lb.

If you are interested let me know.

As far as length of braid is concerned I can get Bionic Braid in what ever lenth you want up to 5000 yards.

fibre_glass
08-07-2002, 06:41 AM
Thank,s clutter, I will head down that way next week and see what I can find.
I find using braid you feel everything that touches the line and you have to be very careful when sinking the hook, do you find this a problem ?
Another thing is you cannot skulldrag fish up from down deep due to no stretch in the line.I have lost a few due to this but once used to it no more lost fish (to date)

clutter
16-07-2002, 05:59 PM
In the deeper water I find you need a rod with a soft tip. I use 50lb superbraid on a TLD30 and teamed with a Live Fibre ZWS70XJ 15-24kg rod, its 7 feet but I think the 8 footer would work a bit better. I tie a short double in the braid and attach a leader of up to 3m of Jinkai, usually 40lb. I usually only float bait and have my drag set to 1/3 of the line capacity at the stopper but don't usually put it up that far to hook up. Normally I push it up to the first screw on the drag slide, if you know the TLD's hopefully you will know what I mean. I also don't "strike" as such, end up with just the lips if I do, rather I just lift steadily and wind. If you have a look at the Salt Water fish pics you will see "Big cod from Tempest", that's the brute I pulled from 90M last year. Anyway, hope this has helped a bit and not confused too much. Give me a yell anytime.
Clutter.

Jack_Lives_Here
17-07-2002, 04:56 AM
Agree with the soft tip option. I fished it a year or so ago at Fitzroy reef and found I was loosing fish by striking. Just start winding when you feel the weight. We were fishing 100m + in some spots and I was still only having to use a largeish ball sinker. The guys using mono were fishing 3 snapper leads.
20lb Bionic is great. I use it on several baitcasters. I would be more inclined to go 30lb or 50lb. With braid it's diameter is much less than mono of same strength.

Maxg
25-07-2002, 07:35 AM
One of the problems that few people understand is that the abrasion resistance of GsP braid is related to diameter, which means that the higher the breaking strain the better off you are if fishing in rough country.
For fishing deep water you might be better off going to 50/75lb braid and forgetting the lighter braids. It allows you to get into heftier drag settings on tough fish and means that the fish is not beaten to death but landed rather quickly and better for release if that is what you do. Cheers Max