PDA

View Full Version : Good job Joseph

landy1
26-07-2002, 06:44 PM
G'day Joseph
excellent work on that fisheries material you sent me, i will get on to my local member tomorrow and tighten the screws. something has to be done.
if anyone is interested i pulled the following out of my thesis from Uni days. it was titled, BURNING ISSUES A Critical Evaluation of Prehistoric Fishery Models of the Moreton Region. some of the info i researched from ethnographic accounts of early settlement times was a real eye opener when compared to todays fishery. observations were recorded of mullet schools over a mile long being common in season, and fish so thick in the water they could almost be walked across. one observer described an Aboriginal feast on moreton island with a pile of mullet approximately eight feet high left over for future storage. indeed it is quite an enigma as to what happened to the remains of these caught fish ( i postulated rapid breakdown through the effects of partial burning of the skeletal material). anyhow the concensus is that before European settlement, the Moreton Bay region was essentially a paradise. it is also documented that within fifty years of settlement the bay had been radically changed and was much worse off due to comercial harvesting of dugongs, whales, turtles and of course fish. if you are further interested i can dig out a partial bibliography which encompasses the ethnographic observers, all of which can be found in the Humanities library at UQ.
cheers

jaybee
26-07-2002, 07:05 PM
I would be interested in that landy. by the way I did not do this on my own. I had help from lucky Phil, Vern Veitch, with the numbers, plus feedback from brian harvey to mention a few. If we all stand up as individuals and write our local members, it will prove to government that SUNFISH and RECFISH represent a majority not a minority. I applaud you and others for your stand on this. Best of luck and best wishes.
Joseph.