PDA

View Full Version : Muddies or Sandies

jaybee
29-07-2002, 02:22 PM
Not putting crays in here at present as this is more based at QLD and NSW fisherpersons. I beleive this will really test the tast buds...hard one eh..
cheers.

bugman
29-07-2002, 02:24 PM
Jaybee,
Must have seen my other post hey mate.
No doubt that sandies are sweeter but muddies allow you to get a beter mouthful. Sweet always wins though.
Both pale in comparison to fresh cray.
Bugman

jaybee
29-07-2002, 02:27 PM
u bet bug..but hey we cant get fresh crays up here.. :-[ and your post really got me thinking..like u said sandies r sweet but muddies are a mouthfull..happy chewing ...

LYNDO
30-07-2002, 04:47 AM
G'day jaybee,

Interesting one ???

West coast Sth Australian Crayfish for sure if was on the list ;)

After much thought I'd have to chose the muddy ;D

The blue swimmers have definetly sweeter meat, But not as much meat as in a muddy and are alot harder getting the meat seperate from the delicate body.(time consuming)

:DPlus You can't beat those huge juicy claws for a tasy sandwich ::)

Cheers Lyndo

Big_Muddie
30-07-2002, 05:56 AM
Tough decision here!

20 years ago I would have said Muddies - no doubt. However, time has not been kind to me and I now get gout if I eat more than 1 claw of a muddie :(. And let me tell you, no muddie is worth the pain that gout causes.

Like others, I think Sandies are sweeter and over time I have perfected a method of getting the meat out without too much difficulty. So Sandies get my vote.

I still chase the muddies - just that I don't get to enjoy the full fruits of my labour - but I do have a very happy brother and other relatives :D

It will be interesting to see the result.

Michael

Benno
30-07-2002, 08:49 AM
Very interesting question.! Sandies are beautiful, but the mighty muddie wins hands down....

Cheers Benno

jaybee
30-07-2002, 12:30 PM
I personally cannot make my mind up sandies are sweeter and I dont have too much trouble cleaning them..and I also like muddies..i think i posed a real delemma for myself as well ???

craigie
30-07-2002, 01:41 PM
I'm a bit like you Jaybee, their all good to me too !!

Love pulling up a Pot and seeing a monster Buck Mudcrab sitting there with his claws displayed, what an awsome sight. Enjoy hunting them as much as eating them !!

It's easy to pick where I live, the front yard is full of Crab Pots (some of dubious quality). I like to keep them handy, so I can 'Put' them out at the drop of a hat.

You and I might have to go Crabbing one day JayBee, I'll show you a couple of my secret spots ??

Cheers and Big Bucks to you all !!

Craigie.

jaybee
30-07-2002, 01:52 PM
Hey craigie I will take you up on that just name the date and time...and I will be there yahooooooo....

gruntahunter
30-07-2002, 02:21 PM
sandie and the muddie both beat crays in my opinion and r ahead of bugs as well .buuuuuuuuuuuuuut really anything that comes out of the water is superb .