PDA

View Full Version : paranoid

kc
25-07-2002, 02:26 PM
Paranoid or just a bit over excited?

For those compacent Queensland fishos who fish or want to fish in the marine park which stretches over every bit of water from the river mouths out from Bundaberg to Cape York,be warned.

If you think the GBRMPA green zone debacle is going to stop at just closing 25% of the park to recreational fishing be warned and wake up.

The Association of Marine Park Tourism Operators (AMPTO) via their chair, are now on the pulic record (Mackay channel 7 news 19/7) as wanting recreational fishing banned in 95% of the park.

AMPTO are the funding source for much of GBRMPA via the reef tax (EMC) and are very much in bed with GBRMPA........am I worried..bloody oath I am.

I might have to dust off the golf clubs soon and sell the boat.

Get of your bums and put a submission in. The Sunfish one elsewhere in this site is a good start but better still ring GBRMPA, get a submission form for your area, do some homework and fill it in with NO GREEN ZONES. There is now lots of info floating around the traps to support this stance. Give Sunfish an e-mail and they will help. Organise a trailer boat rally, contact your MPs get involved or get shafted..it really is that simple.

jaybee
25-07-2002, 03:22 PM
Its the same with the government in brisbane kc. I had a meeting with my local member and she was pushing for an environment in moreton bay the same as the gbrmpa. So for her to push this it is already on the agenda... as someone said if this all goes ahead we will be like eskimos fishing in the one hole. Like you said its time people got off their bums and spent 5 mins writing or typing a letter to their local member before its too late if it isnt already.

IanF
26-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Hi Jaybe

I am a fisherman who is unfortunately not up to speed on exactly what is going on etc and for that reason I feel I am underprepared to approach my local member on this issue. Maybe we could get a kind of information background summary by some of ypu guys who are in the know. If I had something like this that I could take on board before I approached my member or even a letter to which I could put my name I would definately use the information to make sure the polititians know that recreational fisherman also have a voice. Let me know what you think and what others think about this idea. I am confident I can write a letter etc myself as long as I have some more of the facts.

Kind regards
Ian

jaybee
26-07-2002, 08:02 AM
no probs ian send me your email addy and I will send what I have and web links
cheers.

jaybee
26-07-2002, 02:51 PM
To those that have replied have sent info in email tonight. Also a reply from the government has been posted at http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/jbreplypage1.jpg and http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/uploads/jbreplypage2.jpg and if you read the reply you will only see the government is only confirming what has been bought to their attention and has admitted although no more qld licenses will be issued to qld netters they are still selling them to NSW netters.

lordy
27-07-2002, 09:35 AM
I find 25%, provided its evenly based and not just the best spots and no open ocean, high but not unreasonable. Anything more than 25% won't achieve much if anything in terms of conservation.

If fishos want a say that can match it with the AMPTO they have to contribute financially. I would think a license fee similar to the Stocked Impoundment Permit might be the best thing fishos could do ($35 per year or so). If there is a significant amount of money passed back to the GBRMPA via licenses than fishos will have a bite to go with their bark. The more we contribute the more we have a stake that can't be denied.

jaybee
29-07-2002, 10:44 AM
Hi Lordy
I would say licenses are not far away now, as my local member bought it up with a submission i put it and I had it earmarked anyway, as long as the 12 dollars comes of the rego. We submitted for $25 with prices to cover families, unemployed and pensioners. I'm on a disability support pension and I will gladly pay if the fisheries managment is handled properly by a responsible body and not the government
cheers.

Volvo
29-07-2002, 12:26 PM
Money , Money , Money always Money http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm27.gif And always more ways ta skinnin a cat than one.
People will never wake up ey.

Finnie
01-08-2002, 09:43 PM
Apart from all the fish stocking, the louder voice, and extra fisheries management the NSW people get with their $25 per annum fishing licence, there is the slightly more abstract notion of rights. When we pay $25 for a licence to fish, we in some way have a series of rights allocated to us. Although these aren't spelt out in black and white for the larger part there is always the peice of paper there that we can point to and say "look mate, I paid for the right to throw a line in here, and as long as I stick to the regulations, and be a responsible sort of bloke, you can't kick me out".

So, although it sometimes seems a pain to remember to buy a licence every year, and even more of a pain when you have a mate who just wants a "try" (something like $5 for a 2 day licence), at least when it comes time to throw the chips on the table, by paying for the right to fish we have some to throw.....

Cheers,
Finnie