PDA

View Full Version : Muddies

Fisherman02
04-08-2002, 09:09 AM
hey guys ;D
Have been a lot of people what their method of preparing, cooking mud crabs and had a lot of different answers. On the one hand people say after checking the gender just stick them in a bucket and when you get home drop them into some heavily salted boiling water. On the other hand people say it is better to catch them check their gender, when you are at home kill them by slipping the knife between the two plates and pushing up until it hits the brain?
which method is better? I reckon sticking them in the water would be a hell of a lot easier.
just what to get some opinions on each method as the olds are thinking about getting some crab pots so gotta get prepared
cheers jack
p.s if you could all throw in a method for holding muddies then that would me appreciated as well

aquarius
04-08-2002, 03:27 PM
Hello Jack.....Mate grab your muddie by the back just around the 2 flipper claws(hold tight)....When your get home either put them in an esky of ice or if your parents don't mind into the freezer(just make sure you tell them!!!!!! :o)lol.
This puts the crab into a coma...after about 30 minutes just boil up some clean sea water or salt the fresh(seawater is better)...boil the crabs for approx 15 to 20 minutes then out of the pot straight into some ice...this helps to losen the meat in the shell....eat and enjoy.
ps that trip is'nt far away mate.
Cheers Brent

Fisherman02
04-08-2002, 03:37 PM
thanks brent
just what I was looking for :)
cheers jack

BillR
04-08-2002, 04:31 PM
Guys

As a matter of interest we only use fresh water to boil muddies and sandies. We have found that adding salt makes absolutely no difference at all. If you have doubts try an experiment and boil just one without salt, I'll bet you won't be able to tell them apart.

ps We tried the same with prawns and let me tell you salt is definately needed for these little critters.

BillR 8) http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm28.gif

gruntahunter
05-08-2002, 07:44 AM
ummmmmmm sorry to disagree billr but.....my missus 4 got to put salt in and mate it really did make a difference.The best way is to bring a container of seawater home with u.
;)

jack_attack
05-08-2002, 01:25 PM
Any muddy or sandy that is a keeper for me goes straight into an icy brine on the boat. Very much the same as any fish that are caught. That way when you get home they are already "asleep" and are a damn site easier to handle.

My personal preference for cooking them is in clean sea water brought home. After cooking they go straight back in to the brine to chill.

clutter
06-08-2002, 04:06 PM
If you can't tie a muddie or aren't game enough to give it a go, here's a cheats way of achieveing the same result. Get a plastic shopping bad, drop the crab in (helps if someone can hold the bag open), get a knife and split the bag down between the handles to somewhere near the crab and then just tie the an overhand knot (the one you start with when tying your shoelaces) and pull tight. It will keep the crab pretty snug and then bung it in the ice or the freezer. Hope this has made some sence. Clutter.

Fisherman02
06-08-2002, 07:29 PM
thanks clutter
can't wait to try out the tips!
cheers jack