PDA

View Full Version : Where do some get their facts

Kerry
05-08-2002, 07:24 AM
Just last week on the TV news there was a segment regarding the imminent closure of the 121.5/243mHz Epirb system.

Now I'm not sure where the guy being interviewed got his information but to quote $3600 for a 406 (digital model) and in doing so saying the cost is more than what some boats are worth sort of bemused me a little and sort of a little scare mongering. $3600 is cerainly what some models cost but why quote the absolute upper limit of the market in a recreational context #???, rather a bit deceptive

Couldn't see the point and as it's so far off the mark it simply makes one wonder why this organisation would put their name to such a story #:o.

Cheers, Kerry.

clutter
06-08-2002, 04:11 PM
Kerry, How far off the mark is the price? I've heard that you won't get much change out of $2500. If that's the case, it is definitely more than my previous boat was worth and it required one. Cheers, Clutter.

Vern_Veitch
06-08-2002, 05:48 PM
This came from a branch Kerry. We need to remember that they are all volunteers and sometimes fishermen exagerate. As these new EPIRBS will not be compulsory till 2009 and increased demand will see prices drop considerably, I don't see that it is an issue at present.
Bit worried about the 25% of coastal waters to be closed though. Have you put in a submission? This will not stop in the GBR Marine Park. EPA have already announced they will be introducing "complimentary" legislation - whatever that means.
And it won't be restricted to inside the GBR. How is the SE corner looking?
Vern

Kerry
06-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Vern, "I don't see that it is an issue at present" no it's not so why did it ever get on the news at present?

The SE, that's way too far south for me but I've had my say (for what it's worth).

Clutter, up until recently the last price I saw for a standard 406 was around $1500. Still not cheap by any standard and prices presumaeably will fall but no manufacturer/supplier that I'm aware has yet volunteered that info.

Recently there were 2 miniture pocket models released in Oz. From memory the non GPS model was $1600? and the GPS included model was $2200.

Cheers, Kerry.