PDA

View Full Version : A reply from NSW Fisheries

jaybee
09-08-2002, 12:54 PM
I read with interest a comment about fishing in the suds off Julian Rocks by a member of this board so i sent this letter.. Hi
I have heard that there is a 500 metre aquatic reserve surrounding Julian rocks., however due to the fauna protection does that mean I cannot anchor within the zone. On your web site it says: A person must not wilfully disturb, injure or interfere with fish in the Reserve; or wilfully damage, destroy or interfere with marine vegetation in the Reserve, but then goes on to say: You can take finfish by means of a hook and line. I believe that if I can anchor within the zone, then I would be guilty of wilfully disturbing, damaging, interfering and destroying marine vegetation. Awaiting your reply.

This is the Reply
Anchoring is permitted within Julian Rocks Aquatic Reserve. However, since 1985 moorings have been installed at the popular dive sites around Julian Rocks to prevent anchor damage to coral and bottom formations.

At present NSW Waterways and NSW Fisheries are developing a boating management strategy for the waters around Byron Bay to address the issue of anchoring, marine moorings and management.

Further, the waters around Cape Byron will be declared a marine park on 1 November 2002. However, the existing management rules for the aquatic reserve continue to apply until a zoning plan comes into effect. The Marine Parks Authority anticipate that a zoning plan will be developed within the next two years. During this time the community will be consulted, and you will have an opportunity to comment on the future management of this area.

If you have any further queries, please do not hesitate to contact me.

Danielle Morrison

Project Officer - Protected Areas

Port Stephens Fisheries Centre
Private Bag 1, Nelson Bay NSW 2315
Tel: (02) 4982 1232, (02) 4916 3917 (direct)
Fax: (02) 4982 1107

02 4916 3917

Just wish the QLD Fisheries were so up front with what is going on
cheers.