PDA

View Full Version : Airlie Beach

adrian
08-08-2002, 02:44 PM
hi folks
I'm heading for Airlie Beach for the schools hoildays ( I know it's a hard life but someone had to do it ) :D
my question is can someone #help by giving myself a few places to go both land and on the water as I'm taking my 4.75 quinnie up for a run I don't want your serect places but just where one can catch a feed almost all time. a gps and sounder are also on board if you don't want to place them here you can email me at adrian@ausfish.com.au or leave a p.m for anzac also are there any no fish areas nearby as I don't want to do the wrong thing while up there
thank for any info in advanced
anzac

gruntahunter
08-08-2002, 03:08 PM
H anzac...ur goin where? To airlie beach, u've gotta be kiddin. Mate there hasn't been a fish caught up there since jesus wore short pants .The weather stinks at this time of the year and the local yahoos are likely to do ya in .
Take my advice and go south to Melbourne mate and fish in the Yarra where u won't have any opposition and won't get sunburnt.
Seriously mate if u think we're gonna tell someone ,whose goin north for a fishin holiday whilst we have to stay here in brissy and work, where to find fish and have a good time lookin around the place you,ve got rocks in ya head mate.
:P :P ;D ;D Have a good time buddy,but I,ve only been up to that hell hole once and don't know any spots sorry .(maybe u could ask ur missus to try the yarra this time to see if its any good for next years trip).just a thought.lol
U lucky bugger :'( :'( :'(

krazyfisher
08-08-2002, 04:41 PM
maybe go up to the islands around dingo and earlando's gumbrel, armit and double cone, try north east point of south mole, one of the south points of hook is. and try
20 18.085s
148 50.419e it is in close. how far r u going out if you r going out let me know might be able to help.
have fun

whiteman
09-08-2002, 08:33 AM
Can't give you any secret spots as I've only been there twice (this year). However, we simply watched for the seagulls chasing the bait fish as we were trolling only. Plenty of tuna and mackerel.

We went in from the Shute Harbour ramp and headed over to Hamilton and Whitehaven Beach. For bottom bashing, you'll find heaps of reefs around Daydream and South Molle with plenty of steep dropoffs.

BEWARE the notorious Whitsunday channel. I have a bigger Quinnie than yours and it was about as small as I'd like to be in when tackling the wind and tides in this area. You'll be surprised at how quickly the swell gets up. If you get caught, drop into a resort and have a perve until the tide settles.

Flynny
09-08-2002, 07:45 PM
Mate Stay At Earlando Or Dingo
Fan-Bloody-tastic,little Islands Everywhere,.bloody huge Trevvas,lots of Coral trout,I Really Hate You Mate.
Have a great holiday.
Cheers sumaset

Flynny
09-08-2002, 07:48 PM
Mate Stay At Earlando Or Dingo
Fan-Bloody-tastic,little Islands Everywhere,.bloody huge Trevvas,lots of Coral trout,I Really Hate You Mate.
Have a great holiday.
Cheers Flynny(I have an identity crisis)

kc
12-08-2002, 08:17 AM
Hey Anzac,

I work as a fishing guide in the Whitsundays. mainly barra and estuary but a bit of blue water to.

Give me a call when you get to town and I am happy to run you over a map. A book called "100 magic miles" is a great help and you can get this in any paper shop as soon as you get to town.

You are going to be too eraly for the tuna and getting a bit late for the macks but the barra will be "on" by september.

My number is 0414 785 462

Regards

kc

craigie
13-08-2002, 10:25 AM
G'day ANZAC,

Spent 2 weeks at Airlie last October with the Boat in tow.
Stayed in an on-site Van at the Tourist park (opposite the Tavern) at the far end of town. The park owners were most obliging and let us keep our whole fish (Barra's and Threadfin Salmon) in the bottom of the ice cream freezer, in the kiosk.

The area has heaps of Fishing options, Barra and Sooties in Faust Dam back near Proserpine.
Barra, Jacks, Threadies, monster Whiting and Mud Crabs in the Proserpine River.
Tuna, Mackerel, Coral Trout and other Reefies out off Dingo Beach to the North.

We also fished Thompsons Creek to the south and caught plenty of fish there too.

Don't discount the rock wall that runs round the Marina or the Pontoons inside. The locals catch plenty of Barra and Tarpon from these locations.

Mmm, think I might have to get back up there myself. We did not get to the Islands but we certainly didn't miss out on anything !!!

Drop me a line if you want more exact details.

Cheers
Craigie.

adrian
14-08-2002, 09:15 AM
thanks to all of you for the ideas but really the yarra ? it's cold down there. unfortunatly it's my first break in 10 yrs and the only time off I get so I hope to make the most of it . I hpoe that I can take you up on your offer kc
I'll think of you all while up there .
anzac