PDA

View Full Version : Greatest sport in the world

thunder
18-08-2002, 05:56 PM
My mate just bought a new 6M tinnie with a 115hp Honda 4 stroke on the back. :D He invited us to join him for a fishing trip. :P We went down to the pin and anchored between the yellow cross marker and the bar to do some fishing.

There were about 10 boats there at any given time ranging from young families having an absolute ball and catching nothing, but they couldn't of cared less. The interesting thing was,
I watched a couple of "old hands" (about my age), they were in a disreputable old tinnie using rods that were probably used by their grandfathers and Alveys that were probably amongst the first ever produced.

The point being everyone young and old, enjoyed the greatest sport in the world and if we caught anything it was a bonus. ::) ::)What a way to spend a day!!!

Flynny
19-08-2002, 11:20 AM
G,day Thunder
I couldn't agree more,and it warms your heart to see kids getting so much out of iy.
Flynny

Dr_Dan
19-08-2002, 11:52 AM
I couldn't agree more. I think that the fact that there are all of us crazy people that spend all our hard earned cash and time on the water just goes to show what a great pasttime fishing is. Wish you and your mate all the best with the new tinny. Should bring many rewarding trips. ;D

thunder
19-08-2002, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the responses gents, its great to find a forum where people love the sport as much as I do, I only wish somebody had taken me out fishing many years ago when I was a nipper.

Fisherman02
19-08-2002, 03:23 PM
hey thunder
yep! I personally can't get enough of the sport. It's a sport that never gets boring coz there is always a fish out there to catch.
Thunder you were saying you wished that someone took you fishing when you were young. Well that is exactly what is happening to me and it's fantastic especially when fellow fisherman can share a few tips with you.
cheers jack

spinna
19-08-2002, 03:25 PM
I totally agree that it is a great sport and its great to see young people having a go as well Now all we need to do is get some off those lard_ _ _
pollies to agree and give us a fare go.

cheers spinna 8) :D ;) :)

ozdevil
19-08-2002, 03:26 PM
Gday Thunder i think we all would have to agree that just getting out there with the families or just yourself on the water or on the river bank if being landbased and just taking in the surroundings that we have around us can be vry breath taking and rewarding I believe that just getting out on the water is just rewarding itself the fish is only the bonus.....There is nothing more soothing and relaxing then the sound of water the birds singing.....

anyway great to see you had a great day like the many of australians over the weekend i hope you and everyone has many great moments out on the water

ozdevil

Lucky_Phill
19-08-2002, 04:25 PM
well people, I don't know if we really know how lucky we are. to be able to participate in the " sport " of fishing is a great thing.

angling is my way of doing it.

angling for a pay rise, angling for a day off, angling for another reel, angling for another trip to fraser, etc etc. ;D

Being fair dinkum now, does it get any better than this. ?

I am considering myself amongst the lucky people who do go fishing, and on a weekly basis. I was taught by my grandad as a nipper and have experienced the whole spectrum that fishing has to offer.

I absoultely enjoy seeing the blokes I take fishing with me, catch a fish, more so than catching one myself. And then there's the anklebiters !!!!

I only I could get that excited again about boating a 23cm Bream as does the little ones. ;D

I talked to a chap at Hervey Bay at Xmas who told me he was from Germany, and over there you pay an enourmous fee to fish, but first you do the equivelant of a TAFE course. Basically it takes about 12 months of hagling to get a permit to fish in rivers that are full of pollution and no fish.

Anyone know why we are called " The Lucky Country " ? ?

jack_attack
20-08-2002, 03:38 AM
We were lucky enough to spend the weekend in a friends unit on the water near the Caloundra boardwalk. My 10 year old son sat on the edge of the deck fishing all day yesterday. He got snagged more times than you can count on one hand. He was for ever rerigging. I am now out of tackle, and not once did he whinge about having to do it all again.

His grand total for the days fishing was 245678 bites for zero fish landed. He enjoyed every one of those bites and would do it again today if possible.

This same son gets the shits with just about any thing else within a matter of half an hour if it is not going his way.

It is not only the best sport in the world it is also worlds best baby sitter. :D

Dominator
20-08-2002, 06:30 AM
I don't know how you guys can call fishing a sport, to me its a religion.

I try to get out as much as possible and your right Oz Devil catching fish is a just a bonus. There is nothing better than seeing a sun rise while your in the boat waiting for that elusive bite.

And like they always say................

"Your worst days fishing is better than your best day at work"

Araby_Dog
20-08-2002, 06:57 AM
Too Right Guys,

Very few places compare with a slow drift over Gold Bank on a clear morning with the sun coming over straddie or the bar. Hows the serenity!!?

Your in the zone, everything is just balanced perfectly and the next thing you know is...peck, peck, smash! your reel starts screaming and your in to 'em. That's when you start thanking God that you can do this and do it regularly.

Heaps of people just don't understand that catching a fish ishalf the fun. Those that can't appreciate a simple pleasure like this just aren't in the picture.

gruntahunter
20-08-2002, 03:24 PM
And so say all of us! I can't think of better times that I've had than when I'm with my 2 boys next to the camp fire on the river bank, cooking some of the fish or crabs we've caught.
My late dad took me fishin as a youngster and I've been lucky enough to continue the trade to the next generation. My oldest boy is 15 and a half and he can't wait til he's 16 to get his boat licence.
Long live the fishermen (and women).

Fisherman02
20-08-2002, 03:37 PM
Dominator,
mate couldn't agree with you more. I try and get out when I can for as long as I can. There is nothing like sitting in a boat or on a jetty relaxing with the sun warming your body and everythings calm and like Araby_Dog
said the rod flitches a bit then bang your on and what used to be calm and relaxing is now a fight between you and whatevers on the end of the line!
cheers jack