PDA

View Full Version : What is the biggest whiting recorded

gruntahunter
20-08-2002, 03:54 PM
We know the king george is huge, but does anyone know what the biggest whiting caught in Qld is?
I know it wasn't caught by me.

jaybee
20-08-2002, 04:52 PM
Dont know about recorded catch grunt but working at the QLD Fish Markets many years ago..I did see and hold summer (sand) (blue nose) whiting that weighed in at just a tad over two and a half pound on the old scales..they were measured, photographed and sent to dpi..really dark colouring..I beleive they were netted along the inside of moreton Island..when I say they there would be a few each year type of thing caught with other species..apparantly at that size they said arent too good to eat because of the iodine content (not marketable). Feedback suggested it was from feeding amongst weed beds for worms etc. I have caught a 750gram whiting it tasted okay to me..my bro has caught a kilo speciman and he reckon it tasted okay..these fish were caught at broomes head and brunswick heads ... I have heard stories of whiting to 3lb but then it was dismissed as bone fish...but you never know...have an old book by Ian Gall around here somewhere will try and dig it up and see what it says
cheers.

gruntahunter
21-08-2002, 08:50 AM
thanks JB, I've seen a couple caught in a bait net in the Maroochy river just near the pincushion caravan park and they had to be a kilo .They looked like mullet they were that big.

pockets
22-08-2002, 03:42 PM
Hey grunter, check out the young lady holding the whopper King George in the ausfish photo gallery. its a beauty :o
Cheers

Luke
22-08-2002, 04:34 PM
My Brother caught one off the rock wall at Alberton about 5 years ago that measured 43cm. There are probably lots of guys that have caught thm this big but that is the biggest I've ever seen, and caught in what seems a strange place to me.

Lucky_Phill
22-08-2002, 06:10 PM
Here's one that should get a prize somewhere !

Nerang River 1991. # # #: :o

Slates
23-08-2002, 02:52 AM
The biggest KGW I've heard of come from SA and WA.
There was an article in a mag yonks ago about targetting these monsters and the tackle was ABU 7000's, 20 lb line and whole pilchards in deep water.

These fish were inxs of 64cm and 2.3kg.

I'm sure there have been bigger specimines weighed in too.
Anyone from WA or SA confirm this?

Cheers, Slates