PDA

View Full Version : Decking out a tackle box

Luke
22-08-2002, 03:47 PM
Who out there goes to the trouble to sort out the tackle box and after the first trip has it in a total jumble by the time they get home. Any hints on keeping it in some sort of order. Maybe some sequence you go through to keep it half decent. Maybe should be an article written on it. Also notice that no matter what size box you get it's never big enough and the compatments are either too big or too small and you've lost the dividers. Woe is me. :D Maybe just bad organisational skills.

jaybee
22-08-2002, 04:01 PM
Know where you are coming from on that one luke. These days regardless of hook size i buy em by the box and stack them in the bottom of the tackle box. I use the 3 tiers for sinkers, swivels in a hinged box in the tier and a few small laser lures, squid jigs and ganged hooks..i sort it out before each trip if i get a chance.
cheers

landy1
22-08-2002, 04:40 PM
g'day all
i was talking to Fitzy about this the other day. we both use a system of those plano clear case things with one case per angling style. eg a box for bait fishing would have one or more compartements for each hook size used and some for sinkers etc. then a case for squidgies and a fly box, lure box the list goes on. that way you can just grab what you need and go. i usually have a small traditional style tackle box for tippet and leader material, knife and bits and peices to big for the others.
cheers

krazyfisher
22-08-2002, 06:13 PM
take one large plano box with 3 slide out boxes top of the box for knife sun cream leader etc. 1 box for snikers . 1 for hooks. 1 for swivels snaps etc.
next is a plano tackle bag with 4 boxes for lures 1 for trolling the other 3 for differant depths. It works very well. but now they are full and I have another 20 or so lures waiting for a home I just dont know ;D

adrian
23-08-2002, 07:28 AM
hi guys
if possible i try to have the traces wraped around a piece of cardboard ready to rig up .
I use one tackle box for lures one for hooks sinkers etc . and one for a small lot of both , it depends on the size boat i go out in to take it all an aircraft carrier might be the go ;D ;D

Anzac

CHRIS_aka_GWH
23-08-2002, 10:46 AM
i've got a Plano with 3 big slide in translucent boxes underneath & 6 small slot in boxes at the top with a storage area to the side with dividers. All boxes are marked with Nikko near the latch what's in em.

UNDERNEATH TRAYS.
BOTTOM BOX- SINKERS (weight down low gives stability to the whole unit)
MIDDLE- HOOKS (singles only)
TOP- FAVOURITE LURES

TOP TRAYS (from the front)
1. OPERATIONAL BOX. this is the tackle box I keep empty then put stuff in for a specific trip ie - a beach fish -
2. swivels, clips & rings
3. beads & tubes
4. gangs
5. chromes & feather jigs
6. Rubbery lures

In the divided side storage I have 2 spools of different jinkai at the back & a spool of wire. Then in the front I place premade rigs either wrapped in foil or zip lock bags with a multi tool & small torch.

The entire unit only travels with me in comps or boat trips when anythings the go. Most of the time I know what I'm chasing & take a minimum of gear usually in the form of premade rigs (knots are usually much better when tied in the comfort of the garage) with a variety of sinkers. The "operational tackle box" means I expose my new stuff to the elements a lot less. I use a bucket / wading bag to put spent rigs in for salvaging, cleaning & restoring when I get home.
That's me but I'm a Virgo - don't mess my boat up - fish blood excluded of course.
chris
ps if you've got a spare day ask me about my garden shed!

gruntahunter
23-08-2002, 10:56 AM
Well I,ve got 4 tackle boxes with a bit of everything in each but I do know where to look. I don't fill them up very full so everything is in order and easy to find. I find this works best for me as I am basically untidy, so I just top up one box everynow and then and have always got something somewhere.

SteveCan
23-08-2002, 11:02 AM
I reckon there are too many different types of tacklebox to offer good advice on how to organise one. I use organising the tackle box as a way to get me through those fishing-less days until the next trip!

One thing that has been a revelation to me though is the use of small snap lock bags. I got packs of 100 for $1.50 from the local market and use them to store all of my pre made rigs and gangs and hooks etc. For a start the hooks and rigs last a lot longer than when they are rusting away in a tray in the tackle box.

I put all of these little bags into a slightly larger bag and then either add or remove the bits I need on any given day. This enables me to have three tackle boxes worth of gear and only one modest tackle box!

Anyway - that's how I do it - thanks for asking! :D

Cheers
Steve.

Heath
23-08-2002, 04:17 PM
Our tackle box is used to keep hooks swivels, squid jigs, bait jigs etc in. We keep sinkers in tupperware containers in the pockets of the boat, as well as ready made up rigs in plastic bags which are then put into a tupperware container.

morryNQ
23-08-2002, 09:46 PM
hi there my thoughts are less is best i went away from tackle boxes a few years ago now using a tackle bag with only just enough room to take only what is required for a days fishing .I found with a big box you tend to cram as mush as possible into it , takeing things not for need but simply because theres room in the box . I also tend to be some what disorganised in the boat so i take as little as possible only what i need . Do a fair dinkum check of exactly what you take and how much of it you use one day , you may be suprised just how much junk us fishos cart around with us

By the way this is a great site . A real credit to the owners and administrators. Well done
regards
Morry