PDA

View Full Version : Min Kota or Motor Guide

Brian
22-08-2002, 10:54 AM
Does anyone have information which is better ? i have heard motor guide is the main stay in USA and is the only way to go.

Although i'm not sure they do a salt water version ?

Any help would be great thanks :)

WHITTO
22-08-2002, 11:05 AM
;DG'Day Brian, Have just bought a Minn-Kota Maxxum Transom Mount 40lb thrust, agonised over which one for awhile and decided on the devil you know, the mate has a Minn-Kota and has had no problems at all,I believe the Motor-guide is cheaper,maybe you get what you pay for. Im happy with the Minn-Kota am getting 3yrs warrantee,maybe you get that with the Motor-Guide Im not sure. Good Luck Whitto

Brenden
26-08-2002, 05:34 PM
Brian

I'm also having the "fun" of looking at electrics and posted a query about 1-2 weeks ago in the boating section. I got a lot of good info which could also be of help to you. Two things that might be worth checking is I don't think the Motor guide is marketed for the salt, but aparently a sacrificial anode can be placed on it, and check the legs I think the Minn Kota may be may of a more durable material.

Good luck in your decision, I know what you're going through ???.

Brenden

bassfanatic5
27-08-2002, 02:12 PM
Hi Brian,
I have a motorguide on my boat and have not had trouble with salt water, with the sacrificial anode fitted. Motorguide do not have a saltwater model in aust yet but it is due in the near future. Both motorguide and Minnkota are great products and you have to look at each to see which brand suits you.
Some people prefer composite shafts but being a boilermaker i like the sound of "stainless steel". Both have Brake aways to protect the shaft if timber is struck.
Cheers Bassfanatic5

warlock
27-08-2002, 02:28 PM
Hi Brian,
I can't speak on Motor Guide but I've had a Riptide Min Kota for about six years and have given it a fair work out in salt and fresh. My fishing style could'nt be decribed as , I've given it heaps of knocks but it just keeps comming back for more. If you think you are having troulbe picking an electric wait till you pick a battery, in all my years I have never heard so many opinions on which is best, and what is the best way to look after them. It's a given that it should be a deep cycle, but let's not start on chargers, it just keeps going.....
Good Luck Mate.
Warlock.

PAYNE
28-08-2002, 03:57 AM
You'll find that both companies will not warrant a freshwater motor that has been in the salt, anode or not. If you are not sure, make a phone call to either Mercury Marine who are the agents for Motor Guide or Bob Littler Agencies, the agents for Minn Kota. Best to get it from the horse's mouth as some marine dealers aren't up to speed!!
At the present time, there isn't a saltwater Motor Guide in Australia.

Brian
28-08-2002, 06:05 AM
Thanks for all the help people. I have a fair idea what way i'm going now to work on the price, I can feel a challange coming on with the boat show :)

As for the battery ......... well i was looking at two 130 deep cycles and a mate has his rigged to charge by solar, not sure how but as he says he arrives home plugs it in and the sun does the rest, no point using power if you don't need to.

Of course we don't call him Mr Gadget for nothing.

I will be checking his set up out :)

Brian