PDA

View Full Version : Southport Seaway

skales
30-08-2002, 06:22 PM
On my last trip outside we were fronted with a couple of waves that stood right up at us , the tide was making and weather conditions were good . I have heard reports from others that the bar area was deterating and becoming silted up .Has anyone eles heard reports or had the same occur on a crossing lately .

Lucky_Phill
31-08-2002, 03:23 PM
I've only a bad experience or two on that bar on a run out tide in about a 1.5 meter S/E swell.

What you experienced was probably the wake from my 4.2 Stessl as I was trolling high speed lures at 50k's from Cook Island to Moreton ! :o ;D

bugman
31-08-2002, 03:35 PM
Phil,

Cook Island hey ... did you have to push the boat back into the water after fishing there for the night ?? Just a question.

I too have had the odd big wave stand up on me at Southport. The run out tide is definitely worse.

Tip - If it's a southerly swell go out closer to North Wall and for northerly - don't go - fishing's hopeless.

The big waves seem to stand up right in the middle - despite it being 30-40 feet deep.

Bugman

Heath
31-08-2002, 05:35 PM
The Southport seaway is absolutly stuffed at the moment. You really have to watch yourself on an outgoing tide no matter what the conditions are like.
They had better do something quick or it will quickly turn into another Tweed.