PDA

View Full Version : Salmon

jaybee
03-09-2002, 03:45 PM
??? whats the go..i often read how anglers get into the salmon in the surf..but no reports on eating quality until this months BNB..which recommends not eating them..anyone tried em..or is it a matter of personal choice
cheers.

spinna
03-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Hi there Jaybee

I think its a matter of personal choice, I personally make fish patties out of them and they are easy on the pallet I must say ::)

cheers enjoy spinna ;)

J_Large
03-09-2002, 06:55 PM
i'm assuming this is a different type of salmon than the blue salmone and steelback we get up here in CQ. but personally salmon is one of the nicest fist in the sea. i can't get enough of them. i like them for thier fishy flavour.

it goes for mackeral. a highly underrated fish when comes to eating quality. i much perfer mackeral than coral trout.
other people would call be an idiot, but it all comes down to personal taste.

blaze
03-09-2002, 07:09 PM
Hi Jaybee
We feast on salmon fillets often, i fillet and skin, seasoned bread crumbs
shallow fry, my mouth is watering, i think the smaller ones around 350mm are the best under rated as a eater.

jaybee
04-09-2002, 04:19 AM
thanks guys...mmm now i am interested in having a go at em..will have to wait till next year now i guess
cheers.

bugman
04-09-2002, 10:57 AM
Jo,

I grew up on cockie and blackback salmon on the west coast of Tassie. We used to eat them by the bucketful when they were really on. They've got to be bled and are a strong tasting fish.
Closest comparison here is Tailor but probably a bit stronger.
They're fine for me.

Bugman

jaybee
04-09-2002, 04:23 PM
Thanks brett i am even more keen to give em a go now as a sport fish and eating quality. If they are like tailor then they should be good to smoke eh..
cheers.

bugman
04-09-2002, 04:52 PM
Jo,

I reckon smoking them would be the go Jo. They do fight like hell as well and often put up a bit of tail dancing fun.

Bugman

jaybee
04-09-2002, 05:35 PM
kewl thanks brett..will keep the ears to the ground next time they show up south of the border..sounds like fun and good eating
cheers.

stevedemon
04-09-2002, 09:02 PM
Hi All
hows things Jaybee the salmon that I am use to catching from down south are real good sporting fish on good tackle they range from 2kg to 6kg and as far as eating goes just fillet them out comes the alfoil in goes the fillets with some garlic, peeled tomato's, mixed herbs, butter, and into the baking tray till cooked or try the B.B.Q great fish for sport but just as good to eat to but don't forget to bleed when landed

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

warlock
05-09-2002, 04:20 AM
Great sportfish, I don't mind eating them either. Fresh I think they are great. Bled filleted skinned and the bloodline taken out, seasoned bread crumbs and lemon. mmmm. I also smoke them. Bled, filleted, in brine over night and smoked the next day. Sensational!!!
Warlock.

jaybee
05-09-2002, 04:30 AM
thanks guys with the new proposed bag limits it sounds like the go will be to fish over the border anyway LOL..just kiddin
cheers