PDA

View Full Version : Anyone done any LBG from Lord Howe Is

Spiz
23-08-2002, 07:29 AM
Hi Guys,

Anyone done any LBG from Lord Howe Island? I'd really appreciate it if someone could fill me in on their experiences?

I'm contemplating going (probably Novemeber or May) to hopefully tangle with some kings and tuna, I just want to find out if its worth the cost and whether the weather (ie swell and wind) regularly stops u from fishing the stones.

Thanks again

Spiz

Spiz
27-08-2002, 02:37 PM
I can't believe there isnt someone out there who has heard anything about lbg off lord howe?

I guess I'll have to find out for myself!!!

Spiz

Randall
27-08-2002, 02:52 PM
Just saw your post Spiz....I spent a week over there last year (Sept 11th!!!!!)

Did`nt do any LBG fishing but did wade the flats with a 10# flyrod. Sept is a quiet month and not too much happening then.
I resorted to a few day charters out bottom bouncing and managed a 30lb Kingy and dozens of cod and sharks to 15lb,.
Not much fun thoiugh in 100mtrs of water.

Also picked up about 6 or so rat Kingies trolling large skirted lures.

Spent hours and hours on Lord Howes only wharf with the flyrod and even resorted to bait for queenis and trevs but got nothing!!

Did however manage 1 x Drummer on fly.

LBG is not all that popular on LH but I am sure if you give it a try, you will be successsful.
There are many platforms to fish off and into deep water!!

You will love it over there.

Its a great place and very peaceful.

Have fun and post up a report on your return.

Regards, Randall.

Spiz
28-08-2002, 10:27 AM
Randall,

Thanks for your reply. My mate and I have decided to go in mid november for 2 weeks (16th - 30th), fingers crossed the weather and the fishing goes well.

We might have a bit of a problem working out what to pack, Ive heard there is a 15kg luggage limit on the planes.....It will be interested to see what I have to leave behind....my reels alone weigh at least 5kg...

Tell me did u find it expensive over there (ie fishing tackle and food).

Do u need abseiling gear to get to the ledges or are they easy to get to?

What about the weather, Ive heard it can get quite breezy.

thanks again

Spiz

:D

Randall
06-09-2002, 08:47 AM
Mate, sorry for the delay in responding.
Yes there is a 15kg limit on gear. Chose carefully and take just a couple of your favorites!!

Yes it does get windy but most of the time its great.

No ab-sailing required, plenty of safe ledges to crawl on.

Everything is expensive!!!! Take plenty of money!!

Have a great time and play safe out there!!

Regards, Randall.