PDA

View Full Version : Flathead size......I dunno about that!

Gazza
05-09-2002, 07:35 AM
Hi All , thought I'd split away from the general Bag & Limits post on here,as IMHO think this is one triple-whammy on our Flattie fishing.......that I DON'T agree with.

40~60cms(50% slotsize) ,5 bag...........NO WAY!

Now up the existing min. to ~36cms IMHO
Now reduce the existing max. to ~72cms IMHO for a fairer slot-limit(100%)

Now a bag of 5??......sorta think IF above occur that's fair.......BUT....

Consider this variation.......either be ALLOWED to have 5 of 36~72cm size flatties.....OR.....

2 flatties , with 1 under 90~100cms??

i.e. IF you have 2 normal flatties already ,you release anything over 72cms up to the 5bag .....

and IF you catch a 'biggun' first up ,you are only allowed 1 more NOT 4............if you know what I mean.

Bottom-line , 40~60cm. slotsize IMHO suks ,as instead of 1 or 2 ,will possibly encourage the taking of 3 or 4 to be the 'same weight' for the table.

Plenty of big flatties are released already ,and are resonably abundant in SEQ.
Regards
Gazza

fisho
05-09-2002, 12:53 PM
I support rules which are simple to understand and easy (as they can be) to remember.

I would encourage all to contact the relevant bodies if you want an input into these decisions.

Vern_Veitch
05-09-2002, 12:58 PM
This is another area in which we have been dudded. We expected a 65cm max size with one oversize fish allowed. Sort of makes you wonder why we spend time negotiating in Management Advisory Committee meetings.
Vern

gruntahunter
05-09-2002, 01:59 PM
Gees fellas no one is saying you can't catch over 60cm flatties. you just have to release them so they can do their job of populating the water with more flatties for our kids.
A camera and photo is the way to skite about catching these lizards wihout harming them. Lets face it a 60cm flathead is a bloody good size fish and still exellent to eat, so I think they have got it right.

stevedemon
05-09-2002, 05:10 PM
Hi All ;D :P
Ok I agree with the rising of the size limits but i do agree with the fact that they should have gone from the 30cm to a 36cm limit and a bag limit of 5 only but with the expection of only one over 60cm but at the same time I think in some ways they have gone overboard on some of the other fish sizes to and not enough on others Bream 25cm with bag limit of 20 fish Squire/Snapper 32cm with one over 75cm bag limit of five we could go on for hours but that is my opion only I to would like to see my grand children fishing and enjoy the sport like we do only time will tell and responsible fishing will help we hope :P ;D

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P

SteveCan
06-09-2002, 12:10 PM
In general I would have to say that the new bag limits are a good thing. you can still catch a feed no worries.

I too am worried about the Flathead upper size though - If you could keep one Flathead up to 70 CM that might be a bit more realistic. I have caught tons of 65cm flatties and they make a great eating size - it's going to be hard to throw those ones back!

What is the best way to make a noise if we want to make a change before this becomes L. A. W. Law?

Cheers
Steve.

gruntahunter
06-09-2002, 01:14 PM
Stevecan, it won't be hard once we're used to the change mate.I've thrown back heaps of jewies just under and my little boy had to throw one back in that was only 1cm under. It's about doing the right thing matey, so you blokes you stop your winghing and congratulate the authorities for making the tough calls as we have been asking for this for years.

jaybee
06-09-2002, 01:34 PM
good onya grunt i applaud your post..i work to NSW size limits with bream and whiting and a few other species..i say this because on the pin trip on the way I stopped for a fish and the first bream was 27cm..all the just legals and 25 went back..ended up with 8 fish from 27 to 37cm..in 2 hrs fishing. however I am not happy with the in possession limit..holiday makers need to know they can catch up to 10 fish or even 5 fish per day not for a week.