PDA

View Full Version : New Bag @ Size Limits

webby
02-09-2002, 03:16 PM
Just caught the last of it on the news tonight, regarding the changes to all Bag/Size Regulations. Dont know if the gave any specifics on the news, but believe they come into force around December. Finally something has been done, will be interesting to see how strict they have made them. has anyone any further info.
regards

krazyfisher
02-09-2002, 03:22 PM
I too only saw the end of it my consern is if you can only take let say two coral trout and they are just legal size both dead and in the esky, than a 65cm+ comes aboard are there people out there who would keep the big one and throw a dead one over maybe maybe not. I feel smaller bag limits will only keep the honest people honest. But anything is a good start to helping our fishery

wishey
02-09-2002, 03:27 PM
Hey Webby
On channel 7 they had a good report about the new bag limits and increased sizes,
Mackrel 5 fish
Snapper 5 fish
Flathead 5 fish
with an increase in sizes with a minimum and maximum size limit on flathead.
Should be interesting what restrictions they put on the pros as well.

fisho
02-09-2002, 03:29 PM
yeah - saw it - 5 bag for snapper and spotties - bravo #;)

jaybee
02-09-2002, 03:51 PM
sounds good webby..but as wishey said
Should be interesting what restrictions they put on the pros as well time will tell i spose.
cheers.

Dr_Dan
02-09-2002, 03:56 PM
Bout Bloody time they decreased the bag limits. Does anyone out there know if they've changed the bag limits for the reef? The current limit of 30 fish, or 60 fillets per person is ridiculous. What does one person need with 30 reefies??? The authorities really need to do something about this.

Kerry
02-09-2002, 04:35 PM
As usual news is news and normally just enough to be a little on the sensational side and as usual just enough without ALL the facts.

Now who has heard anything about this or any lead up to it. Being on a Sunday night maybe things were a little short on but why hasn't there been any previous mention as these types of things don't usually get released on a Sunday ??

Now as for smaller bag limits well what will that achieve really, apart from some pollies having a bet both ways while sitting on the fence. Might sound good but what does it really achieve.

Cheers, Kerry.

wombat45
02-09-2002, 06:19 PM
Who is going to enforce these new bag limits as those who are suppose to are very thin on the ground.Maybe we will also get a few more of them as well,only time will tell.

Parko
03-09-2002, 04:46 AM
Just read this article. Seems to be Recreational heavey and I would say a good indicater to this is the Commercial sector saying they are happy with it.

I do like the restrictions on sizes but they need to do more on the commercial side.

I would be interested to hear more about the restrictions to some of the dams??

http://finance.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,5016450%255E462,00.html

dazza
03-09-2002, 07:05 AM
About time the Qld Govt got a bit more progressive.
The minister said today that there are 14 new boating and fisheries patrol officers comming on line. Hopefully the funding will be there to allow them to get out onto the water and at boatramps a bit more.
The RIS is available on this issue, we have 1 month to comment. All rec fishers in Qld should have input into this.
One concern- What about the pro's. Are catch quotas etc going to be reduced as well?
The depletion of stocks affect both rec and pro, therefore both sectors need to be addressed.
Hopefully Vern can give us a bit more info.
At least it is a step in the right direction.
Cheers
Dazza

bugman
03-09-2002, 10:11 AM
I would have to say I agree with the reduction in bag limits but I would like to say that I think the most important part is the increase in size limits on a number of fish.

35cms for snapper
35 for pearliers
40 for flathead (40-60) doesn't give much range though)

There has been no detail of any reduction of quotas for commercial fishers though. Some detail of reduced quotas for spotted mackeral and tailor in particular would be nice.

I think we'll have to take some of this pain now to think of the future and I'll doubt whether they'll be any real probs with rec fishers.

I only hope commercials share some pain in the future as well.

I'm alo interested as to where this leaves the big week long charter operators on the great Barrier reef. Or even the 2-3 dayers off Hervey Bay etc. 5 snaper 5 pearliers in three days !!!!!
Will this force down prices because people won't be able to catch as much. OR will it force up prices because some operators might be forced out of the game because some people may not see it as value for money fishing - interesting.

Typical of Queensland fisheries though their Fishweb page has nothing about this nor has the Qld DPI.

Bugman

glennaldo
03-09-2002, 11:37 AM
I don't know about other people but I like to have fish twice a week. I fish to feed my family and relax after work, not for sport. I'm lucky in reality to have calm enough weather to get out once per month. In the last three months the only fish I target is snapper/squire most around the 2 to 5 kg size. 5 of these fish would not feed my family twice a week for a month.It normally takes about an hour to catch 15 to 20 fish of this size. To catch 5 fish I would take longer to drive to the ramp than the time I would spend fishing, hardly worth it. >:(

Vern_Veitch
03-09-2002, 11:52 AM
Sorry I could not get to this a bit earlier but I have been a bit busy.
This latest "initiative". most of which Sunfish has been asking for now for about 8 years is good but there are a few areas of concern.
Unfortunately, Queensland DPI is less progressive than NSW and does not put their media stuff up on the web. I have a faxed copy (which I had to ask for) but no electronic version.
Overall, many dams now have closures at their base, there were a lot of minor changes to gulf bag and size limits and a few topical issues on the east coast.
Main areas of concern are:
1. Spotted Mackerel bag limit is down to 5 from 30 and minimum size is down to 60cm. We had hoped for a bag of 10. Commercial catch has been set at 125 to 150 tonne, their second highest catch prior to 2000 and much higher than their average of 107.7 tonne for the 10 years prior to 2000.
Snapper size is up to 35cm and bag to 5. Same for pearl perch. Trag size stays the same but bag is 5.
All that is OK but there are no restrictions on commercial operators increasing their catch.
Shark finning has been banned and that is good.
Flathead must now be between 40 and 60 cm with a bag of 5. We were hoping that rec fishers would be allowed to keep 1 fish over 60 in that bag.
Remember that all these are total fish in possession including at home in your freezer. So if you drive to Bowen or the Gulf and want to bring some fish home then you are now out of luck.
Most on this site will not be affected because, like me, you only keep a few fish to eat fresh but those who like to stock the freezer to keep them going between trips will be eating sausages as the commercial guys export most of their catch.
I'll be keen to see the comments. My view is that rec fishers have been dudded again, not because of the bag and size limits but because the government has not got the will to reduce commercial fishering effort.
There is no use restricting recreational effort unless similar cuts are placed on commercial fishers.
Vern

Lucky_Phill
03-09-2002, 12:48 PM
Well folks, we have been dudded again. The &$#@^ pros have got their way again.

The new bag limits and sizes are heavy, but, hey, I'll accept that, but where is the reduction in Quota tonnage for the pros, in particular the Spottie Mackerel quota. Shoot guys, the RING NETTING of spotties MUST STOP.

There will be some of you who remember not that long ago, going out into Moreton Bay and seeing the whole place alive with birds, bait fish and Spotties going off their nuts. Seen it lately ? not on your nelly.

The Minister has to be made aware that we, as rec fishoes will accept our due restrictions, but we want one of the main causes of the Spottie shortage to be addressed. Not tomorrow, next week or next year, NOW, NOW, NOW.

The new limits may seem a little strict, personally I'd like to see a little tweeking of the guidelines, but what has been put in place will do.

How the hell are we going to Police these new regs ? ? ?

OK, we'll get an amnesty for about 6 months, but after that, left the full letter of the law prevail.

And especially in regards to the pros. These people are out on the water most days creating havoc.

Why not ban ring netting and go back to the old way of line fishing for Spotties.

Good point too Brett, the Charter operators are going to be hit here, and I think that's not a bad thing, considering the number of operators that have taken up the business in the last 5 - 10 years.

So Vern, can you post the web site for the RIS so we can do our stuff.

Thanks Phill

krazyfisher
03-09-2002, 12:48 PM
I was lisening to the ABC radio today and they had a spokes person on say that this was to help keep the fish stocks for the future and so all rec fisherman could catch a fish. Sounds nice but it sounded more like lets keep the fish stocks up for the export market. But I surpose atleast we are now getting the goverment to do something about the fisheries. Lets just hope it is going to work out for the rec fishers

gruntahunter
03-09-2002, 01:30 PM
Hey guys what happened about the bream, they have been forgotten. Still 23cm, y wasn't there size regulations increased too?

Are Squire now 35cm as well and does the bag limit apply to them.If not, when is a squire a squire and not a baby snapper?

Lucky_Phill
03-09-2002, 01:49 PM
Well grunta, as you know, a squire is a snapper is a red is a nobby is a pinkie.

All the same. They will be classified by scientific name.

Personally I'd like to see the 5 bag limit go to( 5 fish minium 35cms and 1 only over 70cms ) gives the outside boys a chance. or is this a little too harsh on the experienced guys who bag 5 at 70 plus cms ?

jaybee
03-09-2002, 02:49 PM
Well phil this brings us back to the tailor RIS..work the figures and rip the recreational fishers off..not good..NSW bag and size limits are working well..it appears Mr Beattie has to try and upstage his counterpart down south..but down south it is the rec fishers who are the winners not the pros..so if a RIS is floating around with this proposal then it would be in every ones interest to fill it in .
cheers.

craigie
03-09-2002, 04:13 PM
Hi Guy's,

I've read through your comments and gone away and done a bit of research to answer a few of your Questions (not any of the real hard ones).

I personally have only one major concern with the proposed changes, that being the maximum size for Flathead at 60 cm, but I'll come back to that later.

Bugman, how are you mate, recovered from the wild weather at Fraser Island ?
I chased up a few figures for the total Recreational and Commercial catches of a few of the species being put under the 'Spotlight' for the new size and bag limits.

SPOTTED MACKEREL -
Commercial catch for the last couple of years has been around 300 to 400 tones, The proposed future quota will be 150t, which will be split between 4 regions along the coast (north of Cape Upstart,Bowen,Hervey Bay and Moreton Bay). This means that as soon as one of the regions reaches It's quota, no more slaughter for that region !!
Last years estimated Recreational catch of Spotted Mackerel was 156t. With stricter bag limits, this figure may drop in the future.

SNAPPER -
The commercial catch for the last couple of years has been about 70 - 80 tones per anum. The Recreational catch has been estimated at 350t. The new size limit will effect both Pro and Rec Fisho's.

FLATHEAD -
Commercial catch last year was 57t, Recreational estimated catch was 164t, new size limits will again impact on both groups.

Let me state now, I'm not supporting Pro Fisherman, I'm purely a Rec Fisherman presenting some balanced statistics.

While I was researching, I had a chat to the people that Administer the Fish Web page for DPI. All the proposed changes will appear on the site as of next Monday, the Information can't be posted until It's gazzetted (that is happening this Friday)

Jaybee, The RIS Paperwork should be available next Monday as well. If yourself or any others would like it, let me know and I will arrange a copy for you.

I'm still hopeful of a little flexibility with the PROPOSED changes, especially the Flathead sizes. 40cm Min is an excellent move, but I have a problem with the Max of 60cm. This only gives a 20cm 'Window' for a Flathead you can take home and eat !!! I think the N.S.W. max is 70cm, with one Trophy fish above this length. I would be comfortable with something along those lines, with/without the 'Trophy' fish.
How would the Snapper Fisherman feel about a 20cm 'Window' or if Bream and Whiting had a 6 cm 'Window' ???

Cheers
Craig

P.S. I can't believe the 'Tipping' of Sand Crabs has been allowed to continue.

jaybee
03-09-2002, 04:22 PM
love a copy thanks craigie..
cheers

Vern_Veitch
04-09-2002, 03:22 AM
Rec fishers certainly catch the majority of snapper, flathead, etc but there is nothing stopping the commercial fishers winding up their pressure on these fish unless it is included in this RIS to be released on Friday.
As for the spotties, the detailed state-wide survey conducted in 1994-5 estimated a catch of about 70 tonne for the rec sector. If anyone believes it has doubled since that time, they are living on another planet. The QFS Catch and Trends Report gives the following figures:
1997 - "estimated 155 000 were spotted mackerel with a harvest weight of 148 tonne ..."
1999 - "about 130 000 were spotted mackerel with a harvest weight of 150t ..."
Can anyone explain how we can go down by 25 000 fish and go up by 2 tonne with exactly the same fishing methods and similar fishing pressure?
The ten year average catch for commercial fishers prior to 2000 was 107.7 tonne. They then jumped up to 406 tonne in 2000 and a believed 250+ tonne in 2001. The allocation to commercials is their second highest declared annual catch prior to 2000.
Try buying spotted mackerel in the fish shops - except for damaged fish, it all goes overseas in whole fish so there is no flow on benefit in Australia.
It is too easy to look at the last 2 years where no rec data is yet available but the rec catch has gone through the floor - that is why we initiated an emergency action on the species.
Vern

kc
04-09-2002, 09:17 AM
Now that the new bag limits issue has turned the media spotlight on to fishing it is time to turn up the heat on commercial fisheries, particularly inshore otter and beam trawling the the disgusting bycatch levels and also on export markets.

Who said we had to become the fishmongers to the planet??

So much of the overfishing is export driven supplying countries who have already #@%#'ed up their own backyard and now, with the help of the almighty $$ want to #@% up ours.

How about "fresh fish for Australia not the planet earth" or "fresh fish for everyone..here", maybe an "online" competeition to come up with a new "slogan" that we use to bombard both the polies and the media so that the general public wake up to the real reason behind fisheries decline.

So few Mum housewives have any understanding about why the fish they buy at Woolies is so piss poor and see the nice little slogans about "fresh fish for everyone" pushed by the commercial lobby and will side with the pro's in any rec/pro shitfight because thay think they are protecting their rights to buy some fish for tea. What they don't know is that they are usually buying second rate imported crap while we keep overfishing our oceans at the beck and call of international markets.

So how about it....put on your thinking caps for a nice sutble slogan which can then be used to educate the public and in turn the pollies will certainly follow.

I'll start it off with "Fresh Fish for Australia, not the whole bloody world"

Regards

KC

Ron_Collins
04-09-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi All

A funny thing happened while I was at the Boat Show... On balance I don't mind the proposed new regulations.

Keep in mind that the changes we've seen in and on the paper, television and radio are not yet law. There is an opportunity for feedback to the government. The Premier said that in today's Courier Mail.

And as Vern said (nice to meet you at the Show, Vern) the proposals are pretty much what Sunfish was wanting and waiting for over the past several years.

I also hear the feedback on professional fishing, and can't help but suggesting that now might be the right time to follow the lead of New South Wales and introduce an overall recreational fishing licence. Just like they have done there.

At the moment in Queensland we have about 165,000 owners of registered recreational boats contributing $12.00 each to the government to fund rec fishing matters. That leaves about 835,000 recreational anglers in the State contributing nothing.

If every rec angler contributed something like they do in NSW we'd have some meaningful dollars to assist in the process of reducing commercial fishing effort by buying out operators in regions. Just as they are doing over the border.

Unfortunately I don't hear Sunfish saying anything about this in public, but I reckon it's time to bite the bullet and have a rec licence (provided the rec fishing sector has a meaningful say on expenditure). Ron Collins, Ed.

Old_Fart
04-09-2002, 12:22 PM
Did I read or see something about parts of dams being now "NO FISHING" ?
Wivenhoe, Heinze, Mcdonald etc.
Anyone know?

Lucky_Phill
04-09-2002, 03:21 PM
We hear ya Ron, I firmly believe that todays rec angler is more concerned than those of just a few years ago, and will bide by rules and even cop a licence, PROVIDING the pro's are seen to be reducing in numbers.

We were done a raw deal on the Tailor, time to say NO MORE, we want Ring Netting Stopped. NOW !

If the QFS thought they got a big response for the Tailor RIS, wait til the numbers come in for this one. :o :o :o

Fisherman02
04-09-2002, 03:59 PM
does this mean they are going to bring out another of those rulers out with the new size limits
cheers jack

Vern_Veitch
04-09-2002, 04:21 PM
Did I read or see something about parts of dams being now "NO FISHING" ?
Wivenhoe, Heinze, Mcdonald etc.
Anyone know?
There are a number of fresh water closures and it appears from reading the press release that they are all just above and/or mostly below weir or dam walls.
I only have a fax copy of the release so cannot post it. 10 pages is too much to type.
Vern

jaybee
04-09-2002, 04:21 PM
I hear you to ron I sat down with Phil and wombat and went to my local member over size and bag limits with most of the number crunching done by phil..and it proved beyond reasonable doubt that the dpi site had got their figures wrong and that was admitted at the meeting (still waiting for the hard copy of the meeting) I have had talks with vern (e-mail) over the license plus other people any they (sorry vern and othe r people) werent really for it. And the PPV i beleive needs to be dropped before a license comes in plus the funds from a license needs to be handled by a responsible body like sunfish not the government. Don't get me wrong Sunfish and Recfish do a good job..but once again i say what i have in many previous posts. Both Sunfish and Recfish need the individual rec fisher to write to their local member voicing their opinion, partitions do not bear weight and that is from my local member I personally can handle the bag and size limits..as long as the same is applied to commercial fisherman. Why take from the poor and give to the rich so to speak. I like a feed of mullet roe..but however we have to pay $38 kilo now for low grade stuff while the exports fetch between $60 and $110 a kg. Is this going to happen with the fish we like to catch now. If something isnt done soon it will be akin to being in a golf club in japan. Pay $25 thou for a license and only be able to use it once a year..that is why janpanese come out here to play golf it works out cheaper. We can all have a whinge here and it will do no good get off your butt and support sunfish by writing your local member and filling in the RIS and voice your opinion you will be surprised how the government will listen if you write to them..however we need to get them to act not just listen
this is my personal opion
cheers

Vern_Veitch
04-09-2002, 04:25 PM
Regarding a licence, DPI have withheld Sunfish funding for this year and are still trying to sort their own procedures out before we get a look-in.
With most of the PPV going to support fishery management internal costs and QB & FP Flying Squad, what makes anyone think that it will be used to benefit recreational fishers?
In my view, we are not getting treated fairly at present and I do not see a licence changing that.
Vern

jaybee
04-09-2002, 04:31 PM
Hi Vern, If however sunfish handle the license would it not make a difference to the rec fisher. Apparantly in NSW it is working with the government handling it..but we have seen from past and present governments in QLD that this is a big mistake..question? why is government withholding funding from sunfish..Is it so you don't find the truth before they put legislation in place ???

Fitzy
04-09-2002, 04:40 PM
Haven't read the full thing as yet, the normal press release wasn't forthcoming. hhhmmmm
Anyway, I think there's a couple of things in there (freshwater) that I recommended. Maybe some others that I wont like. Just got a copy of the fax from Vern, will sit & try to read it.

Fitzy..

punter
04-09-2002, 04:47 PM
I think the new bag and size limits are a step in the wright direction, but why has nothing been proposed for the dwindling Sand Crabs, every year it gets harder and harder to get a feed of sand crab so I'd like to see a 10 crab per man bag limit come in for them.

While I am at it a 25cm size limit for bream wouldn't hurt either.

whopper
04-09-2002, 04:57 PM
One thing that concerned me when reading the article in the sunday mail was the way in which sunfish was portrayed as being a body representing all recreational fishing.
To me, sunfish represents the fishing clubs in se qld, many of which continue to carry out massive slaughters in the name of competition. Sunfish is ineffective because they continue to blame pro fishermen with little effort to clean up the practices of recreational fisherman. sunfish fails to see that the pros use us (rec fishos) as their excuse for low fish stocks. If sunfish was to whole heartedly support any bag limits and restrictions then the pros cant use us as an excuse. To me 5 snapper, 5 flathead, 5 trag etc each is more than enough, just for sunfish to disagree and ask for ten is enough to turn many rec fishos i know away from them. If the new limits stop people from going fishing, good! these are the sorts of people who are doing the damage anyway. If some of the charter operators go out of business, good! those that allow customers to fill 100L iceboxes with fillets are just as bad as pros anyway. I am not particularly anti - sunfish, i am just of the opinion that they do more worse than good. THere is no doubt that their attitude towards pros is correct - the bastards are responsible for the majority of the damage to our fish stocks and if I really got started on them I could go all day, however I firmly believe that we need to 'clean up our own backyard' before we can properly address the pros. Anyway my opinion to sunfish - 10 fish is too many and i think in some cases 5 is too (flathead could be 2 or 3 and i'd be happy)

Vern_Veitch
04-09-2002, 05:05 PM
Sand crabs are not part of this particular plan - neither are bream, east coast barra, coral trout etc.
As for Sunfish funding, it is a long story but they pulled a service and financial audit on us. Few minor problems but nothing that we thought could not be easily fixed. Apparently it now must go the Auditor General and the department apparently has a few problems of its own that were uncovered.
The audit was probably pulled to try to silence us but we wait and see where it goes - or do we? Seems they had the view that their funding could buy us and we should support everything they said rather than represent our membership while at the same time trying to represent the interests of the fishery from a recreational perspective. We cannot and do not represent people who are not Sunfish members.
We are now at the stage that we are unable to provide any services to government or advice outside our own organisation as it costs us money and we do no have a lot.
We have put together a strategy to maximise our communication dollars and have started to implement that.
It will now be very interesting to see how the government talks to rec fishers and undertakes their representation and consultation.
As for Sunfish controlling licence funds, what a great idea. Unfortunately it is unlikely on this planet.
Vern

krazyfisher
04-09-2002, 05:15 PM
whopper
first question have you ever had anything to do with sunfish? If so why do you say they represent fishing clubs in SEQ they are in all parts of queensland that I know of. I have been to meetings and to my surprise they were not bagging pro's but talking with them on some issues. They seem to be very conserned with the water ways, and land management. I think you might find that they are doing and have done alot to help the fisheries. I know they have helped in starting fresh water stocking, programs in schools, helping with the disabled to have fishing access, working with other bodies to help save wet lands the list goes on and on. I dont know what you have had to do with them but it seems limited. As for killing fish in the name of sport I though that was the idea of fresh water stocking to take the pressure off the natural areas. But as you say if it stops people fishing its a good thing, well that would make it easier for the goverment wouldn't it (If the new limits stop people from going fishing, good! ) this was your quote! I too could go on and on my though is I want to surport people that are trying to help us

jaybee
04-09-2002, 05:30 PM
Vern I am not a sunfish member..however if it takes to get what is done i will join ..how much for pensioners..without sunfish qld rec fishers are going to suffer...i am in the fight for the long haul member or not..however i realise Sunfish can only do so much and it is still up to the average fisherperson to do their bit as well.
cheers
Joseph

krazyfisher
04-09-2002, 05:37 PM
from memory full membership to sunfish is $20 cheap investment ;D

Vern_Veitch
04-09-2002, 05:50 PM
Depends on wher you live JB. Costs about $20 a year.
We are set up as follows;
13 Branches from Weipa to South Moreton. These run totally from membership and are all volunteers. They meet once a month and do things like angler education, clean-up days and attend all sorts of meetings with government departments to try to improve the health of our waterways.
We also have all the major fishing club organisations including ANSA, QAFCA, QGFA, Bluefins, Underwater Divers etc. They all pay $500.00 per organisation to be a member.
On top of this we have a Rec Fishing Alliance where our co-members are BIAQ, Small Craft Association, QIRF (Tackle suppliers and shops) and we work together to try to get a better deal.
With the fishing clubs and our brnaches we have about 45 000 members Queensland wide but most are pretty latent and a few pick up the ball and run with it.
Best to join one of the brnaches near you and get involved in what your interests are.
As for Whopper's posting, we certainly do NOT represent all fishers - it would not be possible.
I have copped a fair bit of flack in some circles for supporting bag limits and then others give me a pasting for not supporting them enough.
All we can do is try to put forward the views of the majority and this site helps with that.
If anyone is interested, I can post contact detaisl for all Sunfish branches and member organisation contacts.
Vern

jaybee
04-09-2002, 05:54 PM
okay pay day tomorrow i am a member will chase it up live in kingston..was hoping to subscribe to BNB but this is more important...mmm considering the government said there were 600,000 rec anglers during the tailor RIS which I believe has now dropped considerably with this... keep up the good work vern

cheers
Joseph.

jaybee
04-09-2002, 06:13 PM
I said what I said in the last post because I read where QLD rec fishermen spent some 11 million days fishing last year on an estimate of 350,000 fisherman..i have lost the link but as soon as i find it I will post it..but another drop on the governments estimate of rec fisherpersons from 600,000 during the tailor RIS
cheers.

jaybee
04-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Havent found the link yet but correct me if I am wrong..gbrmpa said rec fishers take most of the fish..so is line fishery as stated on the dpi site both combined pro and rec fishers..if not then they have got it wrong again at 5000t which at least half is coral trout... http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/extra/pdf/fishweb/introduction.pdf
still looking for the link where it states 350,000 rec fishers spent 11 million days fishing..i will find it if it kills me
cheers.

Vern_Veitch
05-09-2002, 03:15 AM
DOn't know the figures you are talking about JB but Rfish Survey says that there are 850 000 rec fishers now. This is s slight drop from 1997 but has remained the same from 1999 to 2001.
As for the Coral Reef Line Fishery, ther is no way that rec fishers approach the commercial catch. In Coral Trout, rec fishers take an estimated 300 000 fish or about 300 tonne. Last year, the commercial catch was over 2000 tonne after an effort blowout partly as a result of excess capacity in the trawl fishery being stopped and moving into other fisheries.
IF you wnat to do some research, the reports needed are the Catch and Trends Report 2001 and the latest Rfish reports. DPI should be able to provide these in hard copy if they are not on the web site.
Their Manager, Recreational Fisheries Unit is Terry Healy, Ph - 3405 6805.

jaybee
05-09-2002, 04:36 AM
Thanks vern..here is an intersting one talking to my bro last night he usually fishes mooloolaba 3 to 4 times a year..told him about the proposed limit..his reply was he would be better of staying home fishing....so the QLD Government is always concerned about the tourist dollar..with a bag limit of 5 snapper up here and 10 in nsw..nsw sounds like the destination for a holiday eh i thought the gov would have been better off going for a universal bag limit as in a car license..no one has any problems then with size or bag limits.
cheers.

Vern_Veitch
05-09-2002, 12:51 PM
I agree JB.
Same goes for tailor. NSW is looking better all the time for Brisbane based fishers going on holidays and if you lived in NSW, why would you now cross the border. Does not make a lot of sense.
Vern

gruntahunter
05-09-2002, 02:20 PM
Maybe thats the good part that all those southerners stay down there and leave us to catch our own fish and not take all ours!

jaybee
05-09-2002, 03:26 PM
Well I sat down and fired of an email to my local member today expressing how my brother fishes mooloolaba at least 3 to 4 times a year and at the end of 2 weeks may take home up to 30 fish..plus what he eats and gives away quoted a few $$ figures etc will be interesting to see her reply..also raised the fact that while fishing out from surfers you are required to have NSW license as at times you are in their waters..and the confusion it will cause due to them having a 10 bag limit on snapper..etc etc.
cheers.

jaybee
05-09-2002, 06:23 PM
here is the latest report from dpi on the trends of snapper catches 1988 - 2000 interesting reading..

http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/extra/pdf/fishweb/line_snapp_span.pdf

cheers.

dazza
06-09-2002, 03:25 PM
As I said previously I am all for the limits. I prefer to fish for the enjoyment, scenery,sport so the limits don't really effect me. If we get our act together the pro's won't be able to argue that the rec fishers are responsible for the demise of fish stocks. It will be interesting to see what impact the RIS will have. It will give us an indication of how much notice the govt take if/when liscences come in. If they don't listen now they sure as hell won't if/when liscences are introduced.
Put your comments on the RIS. Maybe photocopy your RIS and post it to your member with a short cover note???? Just a thought
Cheers
Dazza

jaybee
06-09-2002, 03:29 PM
Good thought dazza..but from what i hear we only have 4 weeks for the RIS bout the same as tailor..plus have you heard about it other then this site..so the government isnt going to listen anyway they are just going through the motion to make it look good..my personal opionion
cheers.

angelena
07-09-2002, 11:51 AM
i'm happy with any reduction to bag limits. but what good will it do while pros are still keeping anything deemed saleable.

Ron_Collins
07-09-2002, 12:24 PM
Copies of the RIS document relating to the proposed size and bag limits etc are now available by phoning the DPI call centre on 13 25 23. Ron Collins, Ed.

Nugget
07-09-2002, 01:12 PM
Copies of the "Proposed changes to marine fisheries legislation" (17 pages) and "Proposed changes to freshwater fishing rules" (46 pages) can be download or read on-line at
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/
You can also download and print the response forms.

Dave ><>

Ron_Collins
07-09-2002, 01:35 PM
I have spoken with the Minister's office today about getting him on the 4BC 1116AM Talking Fishing show (5-6AM each Saturday and Sunday) the weekend after next. He's currently on his way back from Townsvile via the bush.

I have to wait and see if he's available at all, if he's available to take calls or if he's available for me to interview him during the week and play the recording on the weekend.

Hopefully he'll do it live and take some calls. I'll keep you posted.
Meanwhile, you may wish to think of some questions or suggestions. Ron Collins, Ed.

jaybee
07-09-2002, 02:36 PM
Just received a reply from my local member..
Desley has been in Townsville with Regional Parliament this week and has to go on to another conference I will give her your emails when she gets back Tuesday.
seems convenient no one is available for a reply straight after a media release...maybe they think we will cool down eh
cheer.

Kerry
08-09-2002, 03:13 PM
uumm maybe Sunday media releases are premeditated >:(

jaybee
08-09-2002, 03:20 PM
Well Kerry I personally beleive this is going to be another tailor RIS all over again..i can handle 5 fish per day per man..but 5 in posession just sucks specially when concerning the pros there are cut back..and on the DPI site the Government in their own words admit the rec fish dollar is worth more then the pros..GO FIGURE EH..
cheers.