PDA

View Full Version : Jetski fishing

bugman
07-09-2002, 09:30 AM
I know I'm going to get howled out of town on this but I'm after some thoughts (reasonable if possible) anyway.

Heading to Yepoon for a week Sept 18-25 for a wedding. Haven't got room/time to take the boat but am still keen for a bit of fishing.

Rellies want me to take the waverunner to keep them entertained skiing etc during that time.

Now my plan was to attempt some fishing by trawling for mackeral using the waverunner.

Plan was to have the brother driving and I would sit behind facing backwards holding the rod.

Gear would probably be a penn 330gti on penn power stick. No room for downriggers of live baits so lures could be skirted or bibbed.

I've already got a variety but tips on favourites or more important boat speed would be handy.

Any local knowledge there would be good as well.

Don't ask me what I'm going to do with something after I've hooked it because I've got to hook it first (I have some plans)

Bugman

clutter
07-09-2002, 02:38 PM
Bugman,
One tip would be "hang on" when you hook up. On types of lures to use, have you tried skirted lures like hex and jet heads, you can tow them fairly quickly (up to about 20k's i think) also bibless lures like Mac Maulers are good, I use pink and blue ones.
Cheers Clutter

jaybee
07-09-2002, 03:36 PM
Hi Brett,
Kawana bait and tackle run a story last year on their site..about a guy up there every morning before work goes for a run on a jet ski towing lures..they had photos of tuna, mackerel etc..maybe you could email them to find out more..I have nothing against jet skis long as they stay away from my lines.. http://www.kawanabaitandtackle.com.au/

cheers.

Heath
07-09-2002, 04:11 PM
There are several people that fish for Mackerel on Jetskis out of Currumbin

jaybee
07-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Hey Heath. Going back a few years now..fishing palm beach..this guy paddles up to us in a surf ski and asks if he can have a ciggarette..on the front of the ski was a sugar sack full of makerel..he had cut their throats and was leaving a trail of blood behind him..eeeuuuuwwww...keen if u ask me LOL
cheers.

moater
07-09-2002, 04:50 PM
Good onya for having a go.Just make sure that you and your gear are well attached to the ski!!Nothing ventured-nothing gained.moater http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm11.gif

Big_Kev
08-09-2002, 01:24 PM
That sounds like a fun way to fish .
Not much room for gear but . or fish .
And from What I have heard Yepoon is good for the mackrel , so lots of bent rods bugman .
Reel Hard .

Wesley_Pang
09-09-2002, 06:41 AM
Bug,

Have a look at this story.

http://www.fishingnoosa.com.au/Page24.htm

Wes

webby
09-09-2002, 03:59 PM
Hi Mate, Your Jet Ski may give u better results then you excursion today (sunday). Then again you could always blame the Decky you had on board, Fred must have given you a ear full and some long tales.
Anyway here she is sitting off the topof mud, then only prob way Jack got his big head in the way.
regards

bugman
10-09-2002, 05:19 AM
Thanks for the info guys,

I've got some hex skirted lures and I think I'll run bibless hard bodies because of the speed.

I actually got the idea from that Kawana site and also from Fishingnoosa - if they can do it so can I.

Bit worried hooking a big one and drag setting for the reel. Too much drag and I'll be going for a swim - not enough and I'll be there for ever.

I was thinking if I was pulled in - would I let go of the rod -or- try and ease off the drag as I was being dragged under so I could swim back to the top -

Trophy fish or death - close call.

I'll keep you informed.

PS she looks good out there Brian - can't quite make out they big bend in the Uglystick with that 5kg Nobby we were keeping a secret from you.

Bugman

Fisherman02
10-09-2002, 03:27 PM
That guy lookes a lot like someone I know :D ;D ::)

jaybee
10-09-2002, 03:34 PM
That guy lookes a lot like someone I know hey jack how many ppl you know with a big head

only prob way Jack got his big head in the way and how do you measure fish on ya boat webby..i see 3 feet in the photo (some could probably see a podiatrist) so is that how big the fish are roflmao
cheers.