PDA

View Full Version : Queencliff Victoria

deelure
11-09-2002, 09:34 AM
I have recently purchased a caravan at Queenscliff and was wondering where the best land based spots are to throw a line in the Bellarine region. Also the best baits
Cheers

Henry
11-09-2002, 11:33 AM
Hi there,
The local piers at Point Lonsdale, Queenscliff, St. Leonards all produce the common Port Phillip Bay run of fish. Squid, Flathead, Whiting, Snapper ETC.
There are Bream at Lakers Cutting Melway 235J4.
There are surf beaches from Point Lonsdale all the way around the coast.
The Barwon River Estuary is only 10 minutes away and is well known for it's Mulloway and other estuary fish.
That should give you an idea if you want more information let me know. :) :)

deelure
11-09-2002, 05:59 PM
Thanks a heap Henry,
I have done a fair bit of fishing with some minor success off the pier at Point Lonsdale mainly garfish and the odd flathead. Also off the small jetty just down from the Barwon river bridge at Barwon heads. I enjoy fishing with lures but being a freshwater fisherman am not sure where to start. I have seen large schools of salmon off the pier at Point Lonsdale earlier in the year and would love to try some lure fishing.Any recommendations!!!
;D

Henry
12-09-2002, 07:49 AM
Sorry I'm basicaly a bait angler although I have seen people spinning and fly fishing in the Barwon near the mouth, probably for small salmon.
Last year I trolled white ocki's and small laser lures succesfully behind my 11 foot tinny at Portarlington and St. Leonards, I caught Tommy Roughs. Salmon, Pike and couta at different times so it can be succesfull.
I think that you would also do allright on the Flathead close in from a tinny with soft plastics in the bay.
So even a small tinny is a big advantage if you can afford one.
Best of luck. http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm16.gif

deelure
13-09-2002, 05:17 PM
Thanks again Henry,
Will be spending a fair bit of time down there especially over the summer period.Looking forward to dropping a line. Very interested in the soft plastic baits which are getting a fair bit of a wrap in the media.Anything that will attract some action!!! Can't wait for those summer days in that beautiful part of the world.
Cheers http://www.ausfish.com.au/chat/images/smilies/cwm30.gif :) :)