PDA

View Full Version : Tackle for Bruiser Kingfish

First_watch
11-09-2002, 10:24 AM
Good Morning, I'm new to this forum. I'm headed 'downunder' in a few months and did some seaches on a few websites to start asking questions as far as what I should prepare for. I posted a similar question on a NZ site as that's actually where I'm headed, but figuring many of you are fishing for Kingfish as well, I thought I'd repeat my question here. .

I'm headed to NZ to chase some of those brusier Kingfish this coming January and I was hoping to get some information as to what tackle you guys are normally using to chase those bad boys. I'm located in the states and normally frequent a bbs that's popular on the West Coast. Though one of the moderators on this site we arranged a charter on the Pursuit for a 5 day trip.

My questions fall into what type of tackle should I lug down to NZ as I was thinking about adding a few days and trying to fish the Kingfish off the rocks as well. This being the case, I'm curiuos as to the lenght of the rods you would recommend (are you using long rods for the rocks and short tuna sticks off the boats?).

My questions on the reels fall into the capacity needed (or recommended), whether it's common to fish with iron or are these fish normally caught with bait and lastly, what pound (kilo) test you might recommend. It's common in the states (on the West Coast) to fish Tuna and other pelagic's with stand-up tackle. Along this line, it's also common to rework the drags, cams and bearings on your standard 2 speeds so they can handle higher drag ratings and use spectra with a short top shot. I'm sure that similar techniques are used here, but I'm trying to guage what the experiances are from this board so I have a successful trip as well as some great stories to post afterward.

One of the reels I was thinking of taking was a new reel I picked up (it's an automatic 2 speed reel which was recently introduced into the states). I posted a review of this reel on my local message board. I'd be curious on your feedback and whether you felt this reel might be up for the task with those giant YT's (at least compared to where I come from).

http://www.sport-fish-info.com/dcforum/dcpages/tackle/9916.html

Best regards and thanks for letting me visit this great forum.

Cheers, Bill

Master_Jig_Builder
11-09-2002, 03:10 PM
G'day Bill. Looks like your covering some serious territory on this Q. I will have a few answers for you shorltly up on the DUT Board at Allcoast. Standy for that tomorrow. Today is at an end and I am out of steam for now.

Spiz
14-09-2002, 11:20 AM
Hi Bill,

I'm not familiar with the tactics employed in NZ for targetting kingfish off the rocks, but I imagine it would be similar to how we fish for them in Australia (particularly off the NSW coast).

If targeting kings (or hoodlums) specifically off the rocks I would fish no less than 24kg (50lb) tackle for your main line and 75kg (150lb) or 100kg (200lb) for your leader. The problem however when u use such heavy tackle is that u probably reduce your chances of hooking other pelagics such as tuna. Another problem is u may get pulled in, kings of the 20kg plus size have no problems stripping line of your reel with 7 or 10kg drag.

I fish with 15kg (30lb) main line and usually no more than 100lb trace (commonly 40-60lb), as yet I have yet to land a "monster king" from the rocks. The biggest I landed was an 8kg one and even a king of this size put up a dirty fight. I have lost a few in the 15kg to 25kg range. Believe me on 15kg I had no hope, the fights were short...extremely short. 15kg is a compromise, you may lose more but you will definetely hook more than if u go all out with super heavy gear.

Depending on what the rocks are like, a 7ft to 8ft 15-24kg class rod will suffice. When fishing for kings off the rocks I normally tie a very long double (plait) approx 7-10m on the end of the main line. The double is then tied to a heavy duty ball bearing swivel. To the swivel (depending on how high the rock platform is from the water) I'd attach 2m to 4m of leader. Depending on how deep you want to set your bait, you either run a balloon or torpedo float on the leader or your double with a stopper knot. This rig is not one u can cast with on your own, u need a mate to help u out in this department.

Good luck hooking a big king...just remember to have a good foothold and to hold on tight.

Spiz