PDA

View Full Version : sunfish

sunrise
14-09-2002, 03:44 PM
Does anyone know what is going on with Sun Fish I have A sorts of stories doing the rounds thought I asked if any one here knows the truth
And can put a squash on the rumour mungers
johno

Kerry
14-09-2002, 04:01 PM
I'll hazard a guess that Sunfish haven't been supplying the powers (that pay the money) the "right" answers they have been expecting.

Much like the Golden rule in that he who owns the gold makes the rules.

Appears that maybe the gov might have been expecting a rubber stamp deal where as if we provide some funding the you help sell what we want, you know in the best interests of the public etc etc. #

Appears $210,000 didn't buy the right sort of answers so now time to wave the big stick ($$ stick).

Might be time to become completely unaffiliated and independent from the government who appear to expect something (not necessarily the right thing) in return for favours.

Now I would be very surprised in the reasons being mooted are in fact the real reasons behind this cut in funding.

Cheers, Kerry.

krazyfisher
14-09-2002, 05:55 PM
Which and what sort of stories??

Vern_Veitch
15-09-2002, 12:02 PM
The claims on Channel 9 put forward a very small part of one side of the story. We have tried to talk to the Minister but he will not make himself available.
Our payment system is much tighter than government and we do not get reimbursed travel allowance or even mileage for our vehicles. We are reimbursed costs only (petrol, motel costs etc) and stay at the cheapest accomodation we can find.
No bills are paid without authorisation of our management committee and bigger payments must be authorised by an AGM.
We will be demanding right of reply and it will be inthe public arena.
This could get ugly.
Vern

SteveCan
15-09-2002, 01:13 PM
Hi Vern,

I saw the news report last night and while it was one sided, it also seemed like a storm in a teacup. It looks funny to me that this has happened basically in conjunction with Sunfish commenting on the Fisheries RIS proposals.

Where is the recreational fishers voice if Sunfish is gagged?

Steve.

jaybee
15-09-2002, 03:18 PM
Where is the recreational fishers voice if Sunfish is gagged maybe thats what the gov want steve..sunfish, recfish do a good job representing the rec fishers, however they dont represent the non members..but in a sense do..I beleive there is 800,000 reck fishers in QLD and only 45,000 are members of sunfish (correct me if i am wrong vern)..i am joining...had enuff of being slapped in the face..just hope its not too late..so the more who can get behind sunfish the better, as well as stir the pot yourself with your local member.
cheers

Vern_Veitch
16-09-2002, 06:18 AM
JB has hit the nail onthe head. SUnfish is like any other incorporated organisationand is required to meet the requirements of the Department of Fair Trading, which we do.
We have been getting funding at the present level for 5 years and submitting our audit and fisnancial statements to both DFT and DPI and until earlier this year there was no indication of a problem.
The guts of this is that someone was looking for some dirt and did not like the criticism that was coming on fishery mismanagement and our lobbying to get a better deal for rec fishers. They found more inside the department than they found on us but that is still behind the scenes.
We will still try to sort this out but it is hard when the Minister will not talk to us. At this time, we have been denied natural justice and the Minister is convicting us of accusations in the report without letting us defend ourselves. I can't say much more at present but we might have to do it publicly if we can't sort it out soon.
Vern