PDA

View Full Version : Spottie RIS  !

Lucky_Phill
16-09-2002, 10:35 AM
How come, whenever I get these RIS's, there seems to be overwelming favouritism towards the Pro's ?

Or is it just me ? ???

I've had a read of the RIS regarding Spotties and these are my findings.

As the Pro's knew this type of legislation was coming ( stalled in Govt for 2 years or so to let the Pro's rape the fishery ), the last 2 years of netting Spotties has produced a capture of 360 -380 tonne, as opposed to the previous 10 years or more, with averages of 143 - 184.

The QFS has proposed a 150 tonne quota, sounds good, BUT, they are allowing a 100kg per licence per day, catch that does not have to be recorded and go into logs as part of the quota. ( remember the Tailor ! )

So this is how the figures pan out.

There are 40 Pro netters in Qld, therefore each , basically, is allowed to catch 3.75 tonne per year ( by the way, this comes into effect with legislation, so the Pro's get one more year of raping the Spotties ).

This 3.75 tonne equates to about 1,900 fish and in dollar therms is around $22,500 per year. Now consider that there is a 100kg unrecordable allowance, this would allow the Pro, say a 3 month season on Spotties to collect another 4,500 fish. In dollar terms it's around $54,000.

Add that up, $76,500, that's providing they get average prices.

OK, so the Pro's are allowed 150 tonne combined and then the non-recordable catch of 360 tonne, or more. When I do my sums, that sounds like an increase in quota ! Let's now consider that next problem.

90% of this fishery is exported. >:( >:( >:( >:(

Let's go on shall we. The Recreational catch of Spotties has been recorded at 150 tonne per year. That's around 75,000 fish, this is from Bowen to the Tweed River.

The QFS are asking the Recreational Fisho the reduce their catch by 84.2%. IE;- bag limits of 30 down to 5, with the increased size limit to 60cms.

This is now looking good for the Pro. He gets a quota of what he was catching 2 years ago PLUS another 2.2 tonne unrecorded. That my friends, is an increase of 60%.

Now you tell me you are not going to make the effort to get your hands on the RIS proposal and do the right thing. Once again, we can juggle the stats to make what we want, but, all these figures are coming from the QFS.

Am I mad >:( am I wrong ???

AM I GOING TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ?

More importantly, ARE YOU ?

LYNDO
16-09-2002, 11:14 AM
Totally agree Lucky_Phil

;)Have completed & returned the RIS with few a comments.

>:(Ring netting must be BANNED!

Cheers Lyndo

SteveCan
16-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Good on you Phil.

I too have filled out and returned my response form. I hope a lot more people do.

Cheers
Steve.

jaybee
16-09-2002, 12:43 PM
Filled and returned mine in a few days ago with a reply to practically every question plus the last comments page..like last time phil the government will listen but will they act..still waiting to hear from m local member on this..been conveniently away since the sunday press release..strange that
cheers.

bo_sawyer
16-09-2002, 01:09 PM
Hey Guys
I don't know much about this RIS stuff, but i can do maths, and thats alot of Mackerel!! It makes me even mader when us rec fishermen get the bad end of it all. I'm behind all of ya's. So please let me know how i can get that RIS form!! Cheers
Bo Sawyer

jaybee
16-09-2002, 01:47 PM
Hi Bo you can go here
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/fishweb/10602.html
and download print and send or contact craigie and see if he can get a copy to u
cheers.

bo_sawyer
16-09-2002, 02:01 PM
You Beauty
Thanx again JB
Bo.

mackmauler
19-09-2002, 09:58 AM
What I'm wondering is there were numerous questions regarding mesh size changes and quotas before the big question do you think ring netting should be banned the way they twist these things a vote for a increase in net size could be a vote for netting. Anyway they couldn't of misinterpreted my comments. ;D

sharkbait
19-09-2002, 10:10 AM
My final comment on the last page was that while the government allows ring netting to continue they will get no respect and definitely no vote from me and many other like minded recs. I have witnessed the result of ring netting entire shools of mackerel including the tailor and baitfish that in with them and it is not a pretty sight. This practice is not sustainable in any way, shape or form and I think we should all encourage others to comment on the RIS, even if the govt is going to announce the changes the day after the RIS is due (eg Tailor RIS) Looks like we are being screwed again, no surprise there. >:( >:(

stevedemon
19-09-2002, 04:20 PM
Hi LP
MY RIS form has gone as well lets hope that the Government can make some sense for a change he ;D he ;D ha :P :'( :'( we can only but try

Cheers ;D ;D
Steve :P