PDA

View Full Version : GPS Marks?

SteveCan
18-09-2002, 10:01 AM
Hi all,

I just got a Garmin Etrex and have been having lots of fun marking my usual haunts. Now I would like to go farther afield - especially offshore from the Seaway and Tweed River.

Can anyone point me in the direction of GPS marks for these areas? In particular I would like to get a co-ordinate for 'Inner Fido's' if anyone has that.

Thanks in advance...
Steve 8)

jaybee
18-09-2002, 03:27 PM
you dont mean the 5 mile do you steve..it is on the inside of fido directly in line with the nine mile heading to the island..we used to travel till the drop off then swing round n point back to nine and anchor on the edge.. n. e. wind n sotherly current is best..if it is then u need to be careful of trawlers steaming back to tweed..they dont care who they run over
cheers.

aquarius
18-09-2002, 06:25 PM
Hi Stevecan......here's some for ya.
Burliegh Reef 28.04.250s 153.29.500e......24 fathoms SE 28.00.400s 153.31.527e......Nine Mile Reef 28.11.904s 153.38.040e.
This should get you in with a chance...good luck
cheers Brent :D
PS...COPIED THEM OFF THE NET BUT DON'T ASK ME TO REMEMBER THE PAGE.

Kerry
19-09-2002, 04:02 AM
Brent, ;D the same old story GPS from wherever with NO datum. Decreases the chance quite a bit.

They go to the trouble of publishing marks with a precision of 0.001' (about 9') and forget about several hundred metres :o

Cheers, Kerry.

SteveCan
19-09-2002, 04:16 AM
Good Point Kerry,

Actually Brent, I stumbled across that web site last night. I recognised it because the points I got were exactly the same and also the points I chose to put in the GPS were the ones you suggested!

Thankfully because of that the Datum is all ok!

And Jaybee - you are talking I think of exactly the place I am trying to find. I was talking to a bloke in the tackle shop at Tugun who suggested Fido's was a good place to go for snapper atm. I am still looking for a mark for that spot....

Finally Kerry, you seem to know bloody everything about GPS - Is there a software program I can use for my etrex that will alow me to superimpose my marks on to some sort of chart? It would be nice to see where all this stuff is relative to each other.

And thanks all for your help - I really appreciate it.

Cheers
Steve.

jaybee
19-09-2002, 05:36 AM
Haven't fished down there in years..however fido was good for trolling lures for pelagics and bottom dropping for platies (squire) 9 mile fishes better for the larger snapper and spangled emperer..about 100 yards north of the bommie is a trench that runs towards it . Anchor in the trench from memory i think its 6 mtrs deep. float back to the bommie. During the day (early morning/afternoon) we used to use wire (7 strand) because of the pelagics and when the sun goes down change the rig. Don't know if you know the area but in case..dont anchor on or too close to any of the bommies because they can "go off" without warning. As i said before best fished with a little ne wind and southerly current. Also little womin can fire at night with both trag and squire plus chincoghan which is 2 very large pinnacles around 500 yds straight out from chinderah creek. Dont anchor on these either. I have seen snapper to 25lb pulled off here and is usually always good for a feed of platies, tailor and the occasional trag. I use to launch at kingscliff around 4pm back at the ramp around 8pm and made up to $100 for the arvo..couple o bucks fuel and a few pillies..(6 to 12 fish 4 to 8kg ) #;D oh don't use ganged hooks on the floater..we use to use a 6666 6/0 mustad..have a different name now..thread thru eye of pillie half hitch the line around the mouth of the pillie lay the hook flat along the pillie so the eye of the hook is against the eye of the pillie. lead depends on current and whether to use a trace. oh 15lb line is about all u need on a 6.5 alvey leave the face open and the current take the line.
hope this helps
cheers.

aquarius
19-09-2002, 06:00 PM
Hey Kerry...you are the GPS expert...how about posting up some web sites on GPS MARKS for us all to check out....thanks in advance.
cheers Brent ;D ;D ;D

Kerry
20-09-2002, 03:52 AM
Brent, I don't think much about any of the GPS mark sites and one should use any of them out ones own risk.

Even think less about the published in book format varities especially when one reads the fine print. The term "fudge factor" used to describe how far some marks could be out 'cause nobody has any idea (no clue what so ever >:() of the datum is typical of the uncertainity.

If the publisher doesn't have a clue then threat with caution as they appear to be "cash for trash".

Even trying to discuss issues with publishers regarding some of these matters simply falls on deaf ears. In one case some published marks were nearly 60 mile out, this was pointed out to them (nicely ;D) but the "updated" issue the following year still carried the same error. Obviously they don't/didn't want to know about these "minor" things.

The best I can offer is beware and be aware of just how misleading some of the published marks can/might be.

The following is based on real world examples from web based and published sources. It actually needs updating as I have some "new" finds

http://www.cqnet.com.au/~user/aitken/gps/format.htm

That's probably not the answer you were looking for :-X but I believe many of these sites should not have any exposure at all.

Cheers, Kerry.

Kerry
20-09-2002, 04:03 AM
.... is there a software program I can use for my etrex that will alow me to superimpose my marks on to some sort of chart? It would be nice to see where all this stuff is relative to each other.
Steve.

Steve, there's certainly plenty of software freely available to upload/download and manage GPS data (including the Etrex). However once one gets into wanting to map things then that restricts the list somewhat.

Basically to get the full functionality of many of what is available it's going to cost something as most are not freeware/shareware.

Oziexplorer is one which will do limited things like this in the "demo" mode. Oziexplorer would/should allow you to see the relatively of marks and if one wants to go a bit further then it's possible to scan and calibrate ones own maps/chart as an overlay.

Cheers, Kerry.